Who is winning championships without a Franchise QB?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s rare. And I’m not talking about Elite QB’s. Just Franchise QB’s.

The only exception is those Generational defenses but even they had closer to a Franchise QB.

Nick Foles, though the Eagles offense that year had him playing like one.

The last 20 years have been tremendously distorted by HOF QBs, and of course, The GOAT. But recall that he was a 6th round draft pick. He wasn't a franchise QB until he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_starting_quarterbacks

starfan1

Reaction score
He was a franchise quarterback. For a decade - October 2006 to November 2016 - the Dallas Cowboys did not pursue no other quarterback - via trade, free agency, or the draft - to immediately supplant Tony Romo as the starter.
Some would say thats why they didn’t win crap and their downfall

CWR

Reaction score
And that means?

It's means your talking out of your backside. Either that or you have an extremely narrow criteria for a franchise QB. They don't all win championships. You want to crap on Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Randal Cunningham and the other 3 dozen or so great QBs that couldn't get it done?

We aren't talking about Romo for HOF here, but to say he didn't qualify as a franchise QB is asinine.

starfan1

Reaction score
And some are now saying the Cowboys are going down that same road if they sign Prescott to the contract he wants.

while that is correct the contract he wants is a bit much , Romos contract handcuffed the cowboys as will be Dak but the bigger issues is not addressing the other issues

and Prescott is no less of a franchise qb than Romo was . I personally don’t care if they bring in competition they should have done it with Tony as well.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's means your talking out of your backside. Either that or you have an extremely narrow criteria for a franchise QB. They don't all win championships. You want to crap on Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Randal Cunningham and the other 3 dozen or so great QBs that couldn't get it done?

We aren't talking about Romo for HOF here, but to say he didn't qualify as a franchise QB is asinine.
The bum couldn’t even put down a snap for a FG. He was a loser. An over achieving loser so he teased you but an over achiever nonetheless. Nobody was winning anything with Rudy.

Flamma

Reaction score
Your not comparing apples to apples. Generational is more rare than elite.

If you could pick a top 5 defense or top 5 QB which would you choose and which do you think is more difficult to find.

Technically speaking, you have a 15.6% chance on each. If you're talking elite defense, those are non existent now.

Flamma

Reaction score
Did you ever find if there’s actually been any defenses not in top 10 winning championships? That’s what I was questioning.

2012 Ravens
Both 2007 and 2011 Giants teams.
2009 Saints
2006 Colts

But this can be misleading. Those two Giants teams were playing way better defense at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not really interested in your opinion. Only what our organization decides. And it’s looking like we will probably tag him and move on in 2022.
If you are not interested in opinions why are you posting here, cuase that's about 80% of what the forum is for??

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Your comment is being made on a public group wherein back and forth dialogue is what makes the group.

As for your reply, show me where I said it's okay to disparage either position? I will wait........I will check back in a week for your answer.

The reference to disparaging comments was directed at you it was directed at the person I replied to that you stuck your nose in to play thought police. 5star made a comment about what Prescott fan say and I then replied that what 5star said sounds just like what Prescott haters say and then you stuck your nose in playing thought police. Here's a hint for you. You're really not the thought police and you're not a mod so stop pretending you are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2012 Ravens
Both 2007 and 2011 Giants teams.
2009 Saints
2006 Colts

But this can be misleading. Those two Giants teams were playing way better defense at the end of the year and in the playoffs.
I was right about Saints and Colts. And of course those NY teams.
Thanks

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any QB that wins the job on his team is the Franchise QB. Goff was the franchise QB for the Rams until he wasn't and now Stafford is. Questionable at this point if Goff is the Lions franchise QB or if Hurts is for the Eagles or Darnold for the Jets.

There is no doubt that Prescott is the franchise QB for the Cowboys and gives this team the best chance this upcoming season. Dalton would be the franchise QB until a rookie takes over if they go that route but the offense will not be as effective.

The choice is get the most out of this offense with Prescott on a tag or contract this season or begin a new era with a new franchise QB. Prescott makes this a better team but he does not make it a true contender.

Those years between the franchise QBs Aikman and Romo are a shining example of a franchise in search of the franchise QB. To think it could not return to that swinging door is a large assumption.

You have to consider this brain trust's history with that position and ask yourself "do you trust them to find one even as good as Prescott"?

For that reason, I've always considered Dak better than he really is because I've seen bad and this team could have had Lynch or Cook. With the Cowboys, you can't get into vacuum thinking about that position, you have to consider everything.