Who is your starter at RB?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
McFadden only had an edge last season due to playing behind the Cowboys OL. In the 3 previous seasons Morris had a big edge with 1000 yard seasons and 28 TD's. Although Morris had a down season in 2015 his numbers last season are still better than McFadden's numbers were in 2014 prior to him signing with the Cowboys. I'm more enthused about the signing of Morris than I was about the signing of McFadden. Morris has been very durable not having missed a game over his 4 year career. I saw enough of McFadden last season to know we're not going to have an efficient running game with him getting the lion's share of the carries.

I would rather see Morris receive the lion's share based on his yards and TD's over his career. He can get through traffic and pop outside for some nice runs. He's proven he can put TD's on the board but he's a rhythm back who needs carries. He had an excellent game in the opener last season vs Miami rushing for 121 yards averaging 4.8 a carry then his carries dropped off. He had 100 yards vs the Cowboys in the season finale averaging 5.3 a carry.

He had a few games where he could have been very productive but didn't receive many carries. If given enough carries I think he could be excellent behind the Cowboys OL. If you give him a crack he can pop through for some nice gains. He had runs last season of 35, 28, 48 and 23 yards. Every season he breaks off some nice runs. I've seen him get out of some tight spots and break free. I believe he'll end up being our best pickup this offseason.

I hear the pundits ranting about his declining production, and how last year was pedestrian.

But he had declining touches; he frequently could not get any rhythm or create hesitation in DB's after dishing out some punishment.

Morris should really flourish behind this OL, and he can definitely pick up a blitz on passing downs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oh hell no. Even if we had the money (which we could have found if we really wanted) I wasn't overpaying for Murray. Got nothing to do with Carr.

If Jerry was going to overpay someone he should have overpaid a player we rode to a 12-4 record and the playoffs in 2014 and who set a franchise rushing record leading the league in rushing by over 500 yards. Gosh knows he's overpaid other players like Miles Austin based on one good season. He overpaid Marion Barber banking that he could do in 20+ carries a game what he was doing in a backup role and as a closer. He overpaid Brandon Carr who was an average corner who contributed to Miles Austin's 250 yard franchise record back in 09 and has been a liability the past 2 seasons.

Jerry never had the chance to get a preview of what the team would look like without Murray like he did the first 2 weeks of the regular season in 93 without Emmitt. He could have very easily let him walk or traded him thinking his backup could do the same thing behind his massive OL and that would have been it for our SB run.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The same way I told people all last summer McFadden would do good here, I'm saying it now about Morris. He is going to replace McFadden as the starter and be a legit bellcow back

Morris is much better for our scheme then McFadden. Morris is a pure ZB HB whereas McFadden is a pure man blocking HB. We played alot more man blocking with McFadden which is why I believe you saw so much inconsistency game to game with our rushing effectiveness when he played. I think Morris will beat McFadden out, with McFadden getting carries if the match up dictates man blockint

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Morris should really flourish behind this OL, and he can definitely pick up a blitz on passing downs.

If given the opportunity and he stays healthy (durability hasn't been an issue for him) he'll be more productive as a "runner" than McFadden was last season. He's shifty, has great vision and is decisive. Some of his best runs have been weaving his through traffic he seems to find a way to break free. Another thing I like about him is he can put TD's on the board. In 2014 he had 15 fewer yards than McFadden did last season but put up 5 more rushing TD's. He's produced 29 rushing TD's the past 4 years compared to only 12 rushing TD's for McFadden. Can't understand why some aren't very enthused about picking Morris up I think he'll end up being the best free agent pickup we've had in awhile if he can improve as a receiver. He could be very productive running the ball behind our OL and as a redzone/goal line threat.

A part of the reason why his numbers have declined is because his carries have gone down each year and Washington had implemented a Baylor-like offense for RGIII in 2012 and tried to transition from that the following season. When that didn't work Shanahan got fired and the entire offense was reworked under Gruden. When Matt Jones was drafted Morris was relegated to splitting carries with him. He could really flourish in a return to the zone blocking scheme. I will say this that Morris did benefit a lot from the duel threat RG3 brought to Washington in 2012. Morris was better with RG3 on the field because without him at all in 2015 he averaged under 4.0 a carry for the only time in his 4 seasons.

Once concern I have with Morris getting the opportunities he needs to be successful is he hasn't been much of a receiving threat which is a staple of Lineman's offense. The way the Cowboys used their backs last season as receivers makes you wonder how they will use Morris. As a "runner" he can be very good it's going to come down to whether he can pick it up as a receiver because that's a big part of the Cowboys offensive game plan.

jnday

Reaction score
But you just said Romo wasn't a big of a part of the offense as Murray. And yet Romo can win games without Murray. We saw what Murray couldn't do without Romo

Learn reading comprehension , Romo snd Dez are not as big of a part of the offense when a great back is in there. I never said the RB was s bigger part . You just couldn't wait to get a "gotcha" moment . A great RB takes the pressure off the two. We saw Romo and Dez reach 8-8 without a great RB, but they sure didn't reach 12-4. Try again . To top it off, Zmurrsy wasn't here last year when Rino went down. Get your facts together .

CCBoy

Reaction score
:rolleyes: excuse me while I fall back to sleep...I think that I am going to take up yodeling, and purchase a straw Stetson.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Learn reading comprehension , Romo snd Dez are not as big of a part of the offense when a great back is in there. I never said the RB was s bigger part . You just couldn't wait to get a "gotcha" moment . A great RB takes the pressure off the two. We saw Romo and Dez reach 8-8 without a great RB, but they sure didn't reach 12-4. Try again . To top it off, Zmurrsy wasn't here last year when Rino went down. Get your facts together .

You're backpedaling so fast that you're stumbling. Try to keep up, I know Murray wasn't here last year, which is why I used the cardinals game as an example which obviously means 2014 seeing as how we didnt play the cardinals last year did we? And again Murray was in the middle of his historic tear and once Romo missed that game the running game died. Flat out died. All that running means nothing when there is no threat of an elite passer carving up a cheating forward defense. Which you even further proved by trying to counter with "weeden" we went 12-4 because our elite qb made the defenses play back and leave room for our rb. So Romo will always be a huge part of the offense because the running game is boosted by him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You're backpedaling so fast that you're stumbling. Try to keep up, I know Murray wasn't here last year, which is why I used the cardinals game as an example which obviously means 2014 seeing as how we didnt play the cardinals last year did we? And again Murray was in the middle of his historic tear and once Romo missed that game the running game died. Flat out died. All that running means nothing when there is no threat of an elite passer carving up a cheating forward defense. Which you even further proved by trying to counter with "weeden" we went 12-4 because our elite qb made the defenses play back and leave room for our rb. So Romo will always be a huge part of the offense because the running game is boosted by him.

Not fair, you should have mentioned hip swiveling...:)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
McFadden or Morris?

I haven't watched too much of Morris except when the Cowboys played the skins. I know he's a good downhill runner but I'm not too sure how well he can block. If it turns out McFadden is the better blocker, maybe Morris starts and DMC comes in on 3rd down and passing situations.

Either way, I see them evenly splitting carries as the skill set each one brings is different. DMC is speed and Morris is power. I think whoever is the better blocker and who can pick up the blitz better will be the 3rd down back, as bass ackwards as that seems.

Other than catching passes and possibly blocking, Morris is the much better runner. Better vision, quickness through the hole and can break tackles and change direction. He can also carry the load. This was a very solid pickup in my opinion. I wouldnt even have McFadden on the team, but since he is, I would have Morris in on run downs and then bring in McChicken on 3rd and long.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
My starter has to be just like last year by default McFadden but not by choice. Our starter should be in the draft