Who is your starter at RB?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
usa-today-8163067.0.jpg

USATSI_8221358.jpg

Take your pick.

Wouldn't bet one way or another on drafting a RB. A mid round pick would be ok with me for the right player. it would be good to have competition.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I want to say Morris but McFadden offers more in the passing game as a receiver and protector.

It's a tough call.

I like Morris because McFadden at some point is going to get injured, and I like him in the redzone, where McFadden struggles, but in most other scenarios McFadden > Morris

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
MCFadden at least has earned the nod, but Id be willing to bet he gets hurt in TC/Pre-Season......He's overdue.....

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Wouldn't bet one way or another on drafting a RB. A mid round pick would be ok with me for the right player. it would be good to have competition.

I think Dixon ends up higher than we would want to go for a RB, but I also think Booker will be there for the taking in the 3rd. He's my RB2 so I would be very happy with the pick.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think Dixon ends up higher than we would want to go for a RB, but I also think Booker will be there for the taking in the 3rd. He's my RB2 so I would be very happy with the pick.

I'm more interested in other positions but ok with a RB on the last day.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Cowboys are going to be a better team next season they have to run the ball better. They had 100 fewer carries last season than in 2014 which put more pressure on the passing game. Without Romo for 12 games that was a death sentence. In 2015 we had 1890 rushing yards compared to 2354 rushing yards in 2014 and we only had half as many rushing TD's (8) last season compared to 16 in 2014. All this led to the Cowboys having the second lowest scoring average per game last season. Not scoring enough points along with a defense that can't make critical stops is a recipe for a 4-12 season.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I'm more interested in other positions but ok with a RB on the last day.

Only late Rd RB I have much interest in is Marshall. If he ever gets healthy he has elite upside. Unless one slips like Perkins or Howard to the 4th. I would be fine with those options.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
The same way I told people all last summer McFadden would do good here, I'm saying it now about Morris. He is going to replace McFadden as the starter and be a legit bellcow back

I hope you are right (because I want one), but I believe you are wrong for more than one reason. I still hope we get a back with great potential in the draft.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DMC will be lead back with Morris getting most goal-lines and 3rd and shorts IMO. This is of course until injuries take over. Not sure where Dunbar fits in now, he will be lucky to get 5 touches a game.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Personally I am not sure what the Cowboys will do here. While DMC has better skills of blocking and catching, we had to change our whole system to fit him. Morris fits our zone blocking that we built our offensive line for, but lacks in the other fazes unlike DMC. Are we really gonna train our offensive line both styles to accommodate for these two runners? We have bigger needs than to draft Zeke, but maybe a bellcow is what is needed for this line. Getting one this season seems a waste after the money we are putting to these two running backs. We built this line and only have so many years before having to pay them all what they should be making after their rookie contract. I'm truly hoping this is a quick fix for this season only and they plan to take one of the many great running backs next season. If not I am confused to what they are truly trying to do. Either way the Cowboys are playing on borrowed time and if we can not decide soon we have wasted not only these two backs but the line as well.

Alohawg1

Reaction score
I do agree that McFadden earned the start going into camp. Now just just let the best man get the nod. Both will play regardless.

rpntex

Reaction score
Morris is a better fit for our ZBS tendencies.

McFadden is nice burst off the bench for 10 carries or so.

I wouldn't count on Dunbar being back at all.
We still need a draft pick and/or Turbin type vet.

I disagree on several counts. First off, I don't believe Morris is a "better" fit for Dallas' ZB scheme. I think they are on equal footing there.

Secondly, McFadden has never been a productive back with a minimal number of carries like you're suggesting. He performed exceptionally last year in games where he had 15 or more carries.

Third, don't look for a Turbin-type back to replace Dunbar. Dunbar's role, which is very important in Linehan's offense, requires a shifty, quick, fast, "scatback". Turbin (or anyone like hm) is not a fit for the role. Dunbar has his place on the team solidified, unless the Cowboys draft the Ervin kid. He's the only one coming out in the draft that fits that particular physical profile.

As for who gets the starting nod, I think it's truly up in the air. It's McFadden's job to lose right now, but that does not mean that he WON'T lose it

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's Darren's job going into training camp. Who emerges with it for the season is anyone's guess. I think Darren will start and Alfred will finish.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Morris will start. DMC will be the "3rd down back" or come in on obvious passing downs. Morris as a runner is DeMarco Murrayesque. 4th and 2 in the Red Zone or 3rd and goal will be no problem with him in our backfield.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it matters much whether Morris or McFadden starts. They're both Cowboy backs and they may not be the only ones with the draft looming ahead.

As always, the RB displaying the most ability to gain yardage and perform overall should command he most attention. In the end, it might even be some other RB.