Who just saw Romo dipping at the Mavs game?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've chewed Copenhagen for 30 years, never once referred to it as dipping. No one in my circles has ever referred to it as dipping. Never heard anyone in my area of the country refer to it as dipping. That's a new phenomena or newer one created by the media. I sounds dumb.

You chew snuff or leaf tobacco at least in my neck of the woods, never dip.

Well, growing up/living in Texas, I can say the same as you. We never referred to Skoal, etc as chew, only dip. It could be a regional thing, I don't know but I found this on the net.......

Difference Between Dip and Chew

Dipping, on the other hand, is a traditional form of American snuff (don’t get it confused with snuff which is inhaled) and is placed on the lower lip and gums that tend to cause extra saliva when dipping. The nicotine is absorbed through the mouth, and the juices that are formed when dipping are sometimes swallowed or spat depending on one’s preference.

Chewing tobacco is one of the oldest ways to consume tobacco, and the variety of these products is the leaf, pellets/bits, and plugs (leaf tobacco that has a sweetener). They are placed between the gums, teeth, or cheeks and, just as the name implies, chewed for consumption. Chewing tobacco is said to help you experience the taste of its natural flavor. Chewing and dipping-based products are also called “smokeless tobacco products.”

Summary:

1.Dipping is ground tobacco that is placed on the lower lip and gums and is sometimes spat or swallowed. Chewing is consuming a leaf or bits of tobacco that are placed between the gums, teeth or cheeks.
2.Dipping allows the saliva to naturally extract the juices from the product. Chewing-based products require you to chew it in order to release its natural flavor.
3.Both products are consumed orally.
4.Both products are deemed safer to use when compared to smoking tobacco.

I never thought I would ever debate the difference in tobaccos :p

Read more: Difference Between Dip and Chew | Difference Between | Dip vs Chew

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ron-Swanson-eating-steak.jpg

Tawney88

Reaction score
Well, growing up/living in Texas, I can say the same as you. We never referred to Skoal, etc as chew, only dip. It could be a regional thing, I don't know but I found this on the net.......

Difference Between Dip and Chew

Dipping, on the other hand, is a traditional form of American snuff (don’t get it confused with snuff which is inhaled) and is placed on the lower lip and gums that tend to cause extra saliva when dipping. The nicotine is absorbed through the mouth, and the juices that are formed when dipping are sometimes swallowed or spat depending on one’s preference.

Chewing tobacco is one of the oldest ways to consume tobacco, and the variety of these products is the leaf, pellets/bits, and plugs (leaf tobacco that has a sweetener). They are placed between the gums, teeth, or cheeks and, just as the name implies, chewed for consumption. Chewing tobacco is said to help you experience the taste of its natural flavor. Chewing and dipping-based products are also called “smokeless tobacco products.”

Summary:

1.Dipping is ground tobacco that is placed on the lower lip and gums and is sometimes spat or swallowed. Chewing is consuming a leaf or bits of tobacco that are placed between the gums, teeth or cheeks.
2.Dipping allows the saliva to naturally extract the juices from the product. Chewing-based products require you to chew it in order to release its natural flavor.
3.Both products are consumed orally.
4.Both products are deemed safer to use when compared to smoking tobacco.

I never thought I would ever debate the difference in tobaccos :p

Read more: Difference Between Dip and Chew | Difference Between | Dip vs Chew

Chewing not dipping regardless if it is snuff or leaf tobacco. I'm sure it's regional. I'd have been beat as a teenager if I ever said can I get a dip. Always can I get a chew, regardless if it was Copey or Levi

Tawney88

Reaction score
As an aside I get the difference and why people make the distinction. I just don't like it be referred to as dipping.

Tawney88

Reaction score
Meat is murder!

Just kidding to each his own but I don't touch the stuff.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As an aside I get the difference and why people make the distinction. I just don't like it be referred to as dipping.

Where are ya from? That could explain a lot, especially if West Coast or up North. While we lived in Cali, they called it chew as well, bugged me to no end! :cool:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was he gouging himself or taking his time?

I want to know so I can contact ESPN with all the details. Then they will run the story with me in it!

Yeah, they'll call me a "source" like the media supposedly does for all the other unimportant stories they run with. If I'm lucky, they'll name me as an UNNAMED source! That would be so kewl...

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
After my shift I caught up with the Mavs and Spurs during game four of the playoffs. The camera panned over a few times to Tony9 and Jason82 in the not-so-cheap-seats. There I noticed Romo spitting into a red, plastic, Solo cup. He was definitely enjoying some nicotine. LOL

Back in the hey-day, Larry Allen always had a fat lip of snuff on the sidelines. I'm 95% sure Romo was dippin'. I'm sure Skoal or Copenhagen or whatever brand it was would love for Romo to endorse em'. lol

I chalk it up to all of the pressure of being THE QB for the most visible team on the planet, not being necessarily liked by his peers, (see also NFL Network's Top 100) married with two little boys, and most importantly, not being a leader. No wonder he turned to nicotine.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Meat is murder!

Just kidding to each his own but I don't touch the stuff.

You're missing one of life's greatest pleasures if your not downing some good steak every now and then.
Or some smoked brisket or turkey. Fried chicken. A fat greasy juicy hamburger.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I've chewed Copenhagen for 30 years, never once referred to it as dipping. No one in my circles has ever referred to it as dipping. Never heard anyone in my area of the country refer to it as dipping. That's a new phenomena or newer one created by the media. I sounds dumb.

You chew snuff or leaf tobacco at least in my neck of the woods, never dip.

Is it still "spitting" into the cup or is there a newer way to describe it?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I chalk it up to all of the pressure of being THE QB for the most visible team on the planet, not being necessarily liked by his peers, (see also NFL Network's Top 100) married with two little boys, and most importantly, not being a leader. No wonder he turned to nicotine.

You forgot to mention that it aides in weight loss.

He's doing it for health reasons. :D

DFWJC

Reaction score
After my shift I caught up with the Mavs and Spurs during game four of the playoffs. The camera panned over a few times to Tony9 and Jason82 in the not-so-cheap-seats. There I noticed Romo spitting into a red, plastic, Solo cup. He was definitely enjoying some nicotine. LOL

Back in the hey-day, Larry Allen always had a fat lip of snuff on the sidelines. I'm 95% sure Romo was dippin'. I'm sure Skoal or Copenhagen or whatever brand it was would love for Romo to endorse em'. lol

Well, for sure Witten dips on occasion. My guess is he picked it from his best friend.
Plus, ifRomo is trying get in shape, a dip would be better than multiple beers.