Who Killed JonBenét?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I can't watch videos from work. Can you give a short summary?
Arndt has 'no doubt' who killer is
Ex-detective says justice won't reach JonBenét Ramsey's killer
By Matt Sebastian

Camera Staff Writer
Former Boulder police Detective Linda Arndt says she knows who killed 6-year-old JonBenét Ramsey — but she's not telling.

"There's no doubt in my mind who killed JonBenét," Arndt said in a television interview broadcast Friday.

"And while this investigation is still ongoing, I don't think it's appropriate that I say that name out loud."

The ex-detective also told ABC's "Good Morning America" that she doesn't believe the girl's killer will be brought to justice.

"The person who killed JonBenét will not see justice as we would like to see," Arndt said, without elaborating.

Boulder County's grand jury has been hearing evidence in the Christmas 1996 slaying for a year, although it hasn't met since late May. The panel is seated until Oct. 20.

Arndt was the only police officer at the Ramseys' 15th Street home when John Ramsey found his daughter's body, Dec. 26, 1996. Patsy Ramsey had reported her kidnapped earlier that morning.

The Ramseys are under suspicion in the former Little Miss Colorado's death, although they maintain their innocence. Their attorneys have condemned what they called Arndt's "bizarre speculations" about the case.

While Arndt didn't name the person she said she believes killed JonBenét, she did cast suspicion toward the girl's father over the course of the five-part ABC interview this week.

The former detective said she feared for her life after a "non-verbal exchange" with John Ramsey, following the discovery of JonBenét's body. "I didn't know if we'd all be alive when people showed up," she said.

Arndt resigned from the Boulder Police Department in March, nearly a year after filing suit against former Chief Tom Koby and the city of Boulder. She alleges her civil rights were violated by a gag order that prevented her from defending her reputation.

Police and prosecutors have declined to respond to Arndt's comments, citing grand jury secrecy.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Woah! For a minute, when she mentioned that the killer would never see justice, I instantly thought this was one of those pizza-gate type things involving a person of power, etc. I'm trying to figure out what she meant by "non-verbal exchange"?

So you think it was the Dad, too? Do you have a theory behind why and how? Was the mom an accomplice?
I believe what she meant was, John knew that she knew it was him who killed his daughter when they were in the cellar on opposite sides of JonBenét's body.

That feShe was afraid of her life at that very moment. The detective was the only cop in the house. This is why she made sure her gun was in reach.

Call it a women's intuition, yes, I too believe he killed his daughter. The little girls body had all the markings of sexual abuse. Bruises that were new & older ones. No one else was in the house. What really gave it away, John Ramsey going to the basement looking for his daughter when the detective was there. Too coincidental. Plus he's going through his mail at the time as if nothing has happened.

Patsy knew what was going on with the abuse & kept quiet. She wrote the ransom note. The case is still open. That poor little angel went through hell in her short young life.
Ps- Thank you for your services! :)

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I believe what she meant was, John knew that she knew it was him who killed his daughter when they were in the cellar on opposite sides of JonBenét's body.

That feShe was afraid of her life at that very moment. The detective was the only cop in the house. This is why she made sure her gun was in reach.

Call it a women's intuition, yes, I too believe he killed his daughter. The little girls body had all the markings of sexual abuse. Bruises that were new & older ones. No one else was in the house. What really gave it away, John Ramsey going to the basement looking for his daughter when the detective was there. Too coincidental. Plus he's going through his mail at the time as if nothing has happened.

Patsy knew what was going on with the abuse & kept quiet. She wrote the ransom note. The case is still open. That poor little angel went through hell in her short young life.
Ps- Thank you for your services! :)

Oh. That is creepy. There's definitely times where two people can say a lot of things back and forth with their eyes/demeanor. "Yeah..I know you did it". "I know that you know...and now I'm forced to act on this ".

Are there any good documentaries on this case?

Thanks! I just retired a few weeks ago after 24 years. Now I get to start my life over again.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I think JonBenet's creepy, weird brother did it, and then the parents attempted to cover it up to protect him.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The WHOLE family was creepy.

And then there is all that REAL CREEPY child beauty contests thing.

I agree father or brother and I think the father as well.

Yeah, dressing 6 year-old girls up in sexy outfits and makeup is just gross. I have considered that maybe some perv outside the family went to those shows and developed a thing for her, but why would someone like that kill her and then go through the trouble to write a weird ransom note on their own stationery? Did he write the note first, try to abduct her, and when she fought he killed her? That seems really unlikely. The note is written, not like a perv with a thing for a little girl. It's style is like that of a woman. Plus, it would be strange for some perv to have the double motive of molesting her, plus extorting them for money.

I've also wondered if maybe the father was the perv and he was raping her, and then that day she offered unexpected resistance, and he fought her and killed her, maybe even unintentionally. However, if that were the case, why would his wife go through all that trouble to write a bogus note and conspire to protect him? You would think a mother would be outraged. That makes me think that most likely, the creepy brother was molesting her regularly, then one night she fought back and he killed her.

Someone killed her. A bogeyman didn't materialize out of thin air and do it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always thought it was the father but my wife thought it was the brother because she felt the mother knew and would protect her son but not her husband. I didn't delve too deeply into that thinking.

That interview and her comment about the exchanged looks still makes me think it was the father and I think she realized just how cold blooded he was.

When this case broke, I had a friend in law enforcement and he said the city of Boulder should have wiped the entire upper end of the police department out, they were the real problem and the fact she was told "they're in meetings' when she told them there was a missing child and then took 20 minutes after she informed them there was a murdered child was unbelievable. He said it was as if whoever was in charge didn't want to send her backup. He said he'd never heard of any case like that with only one detective on the premises for that long. He said he didn't believe it was incompetence, it was on purpose but he wasn't sure if it was part of some plan or a move against her. He ended it with if you ever want a template for not investigating a crime and tainting a crime scene, this was that. Heads should have rolled, starting with the chief.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Oh. That is creepy. There's definitely times where two people can say a lot of things back and forth with their eyes/demeanor. "Yeah..I know you did it". "I know that you know...and now I'm forced to act on this ".

Are there any good documentaries on this case?
Thanks! I just retired a few weeks ago after 24 years. Now I get to start my life over again.
Congratulations on retirement. YouTube has plenty.

I also wanted to add JonBenét' parents passed a lie-detector test given by a private expert – after the first one they took came up “inconclusive”. They're guilty as heck. Why take another?

Probably took pills to pass the 2nd one. I also believe Patsy's cancer proceeded to get more aggressive being she was hiding/covering up such a heinous crime.

That will eat you up, especially a mother. Some have no conscience/soul whatsoever. Their names are OJ Simpson & John Ramsey. Pure evil.

OJ put out $1 million reward & Ramsey waited for kidnappers to show up to pay the ransom. Both knew, they'd never spend a dime due to their guilt. One day they'll meet their Maker, I for sure wouldn't wish to be in either of their shoes.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always thought it was the father but my wife thought it was the brother because she felt the mother knew and would protect her son but not her husband. I didn't delve too deeply into that thinking.

That interview and her comment about the exchanged looks still makes me think it was the father and I think she realized just how cold blooded he was.

When this case broke, I had a friend in law enforcement and he said the city of Boulder should have wiped the entire upper end of the police department out, they were the real problem and the fact she was told "they're in meetings' when she told them there was a missing child and then took 20 minutes after she informed them there was a murdered child was unbelievable. He said it was as if whoever was in charge didn't want to send her backup. He said he'd never heard of any case like that with only one detective on the premises for that long. He said he didn't believe it was incompetence, it was on purpose but he wasn't sure if it was part of some plan or a move against her. He ended it with if you ever want a template for not investigating a crime and tainting a crime scene, this was that. Heads should have rolled, starting with the chief.

I won't comment on "who killed her" yet, but I would like to comment on the rest of your post...

And yeah, it was incredibly bad police-work at the beginning.

So many "shake your head" moments within the first 24 hours of the event.

Yes leaving one detective at the house for that length of time is stunning– And this is while there were friends and associates of the family going in & out of the house.

But this mistake pales in comparison with the lack of the police themselves searching the house from top to bottom as soon as they arrived at the house. For John Ramsey to be the one finding the body in the wine cellar in early afternoon (even if he was the original killer and/or carried the body down to the wine cellar originally) is mind-boggling.

Also folks were allowed to clean the kitchen while waiting for things to happen.

I can understand why cases in the 70's like the Martha Moxley murder or the Girl Scout murders had crime scenes that were not properly controlled but this case was 20 years later... The police should have known and done better.

Passepartout

Reaction score
It has been twenty five years since the murder mystery. And really poor girl seemed to have never gotten a chance to grow up. And be a kid. Patsy Ramsey of course not being alive not really here to tell her side of things sadly. Burke is sadly one messed up young man who's life has changed forever.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the typed up version of the ransom letter from http://faculty.fortlewis.edu/burke_b/Forensic/Reading Qs/Ramsey Note.pdf

"Mr. Ramsey, Listen Carefully! We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction. We respect your bussines, but not the country that it serves. At this time, we have your daughter in our possession. She is safe and unharmed and if you want her to see 1997, you must follow our instructions to the letter. You will withdraw $118,000.00 from your account. $100,000 will be in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills. Make sure that you bring an adequate size attaché to the bank. When you get home you will put the money in a brown paper bag. I will call you between 8 and 10 am tomorrow to instruct you on delivery. The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested. If we monitor you getting the money early we might call you early to arrange an earlier delivery of the money and hence a earlier pickup of your daughter. Any deviation of my instructions will result in the immediate execution of your daughter. You will also be denied her remains for a proper burial. The two gentlemen watching over your daughter do not particularly like you so I advise you not to provoke them. Speaking to anyone about your situation, such as Police, F.B.I., etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded. If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies. If you alert bank authorities, she dies. If the money is in way marked or tampered with, she dies. You will be scanned for electronic devices and if any are found, she dies. You can try to deceive us, but be warned we are familiar with law enforcement countermeasures and tactics. You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to outsmart us. Follow our instructions and you stand a 100% chance of getting her back. You and your family are under constant scrutiny, as well as the authorities. Don't try to grow a brain John. You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult. Don't underestimate us, John. Use that good, Southern common sense of yours. It's up to you now John! Victory! S.B.T.C."

Keep in mind this was written in a felt-tip pen and so a couple of the letters were a little more questionable.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are parts of the ransom letter that seem to lead toward someone very close to the child writing the letter and then there are other parts that would lead you to believe that it was someone outside of the child's immediate family who wrote it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing to keep in mind about a family member doing this, the injuries suffered by the child were grievous. The garrote used on her was vicious.

And like everything about this case there are rumours and suggestions about the death and condition of her body are not supported by the autopsy report.

And that's just the choking.

The blow to the head was viscous. It was an 8" long fracture. Just a brutal hit.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has been twenty five years since the murder mystery. And really poor girl seemed to have never gotten a chance to grow up. And be a kid. Patsy Ramsey of course not being alive not really here to tell her side of things sadly. Burke is sadly one messed up young man who's life has changed forever.

I don't know... Maybe... Maybe not.

Patsy always struck me as saying what was on her mind.

John was much more close-mouthed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep in mind, just about everyone that has spoken on this case since the beginning seems to talk from a position of ego or agenda. And that's why there are so many opinions that seem to clash.