Who stays who goes along the DL

glimmerman

Reaction score
Cut Crawford unless he restructures and takes a pay cut. Offer Collins a medium contract. Try for Quinn but don’t be dumb.

Draft DT. And or Safety best one available in first round. And the other in second round.

I could see this being a mostly Defensive draft. Unless a WR or O-Lineman falls to us that’s a blue chip starter. We have pretty good luck in later round picks also.

Sydla

Reaction score
Locks - Lawrence, Hill, Armstrong

I Hope Are Back - Quinn, Woods, Gregory

I Don't Care - Bennett, Hyder, Collins

See Ya - Covington, Crawford

- Lawrence is signed so he's a lock. They won't dump a 2nd round pick after one year, so Hill is back. They need DE depth so Armstrong is a lock to come back.

- I think Quinn has to come back but he could get pricey. I like Woods as a NT. Gregory? Keep hope alive!

- Collins? Ehhhhh. I'd like Bennett back for DE depth but he's not a priority. Hyder? Ehhhh.

- Upgrade Covington in FA/draft. See ya Crawford. Thanks for the run.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Hatcher was our only legitimate 3 tech in his defense and that lasted 1 season. Heard Pauline mention Jerry wants to keep Quinn this off season. Yes, we need to rebuild the defensive tackle spots, although they are going to have to sign a few stop-gap holdovers in the meantime. Javon Kinlaw is the absolute ideal 3 tech that we need. However, probably not going to be there at 17, unless injury concerns are legitimate. As for the 1 tech, I would like to see the team double dip, sign a fa starter and draft another.
If we can get Nick Coe from Auburn in the fourth he will be the new Hatcher.

Guaranteed.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn- Gone
Collins- Gone
Crawford- restructured or Gone
Hyder- Possibly re-signed
Covington- stays
Woods- Possibly signs a new contract but he's probably gone

Woods is an ERFA, so he will stay, unless they do not tender him an offer. Which I see no reason why they would not do that. keep him and let him compete in TC.
What did Covington really do to stay, he is also a FA, he may get an offer somewhere else.

Hyder, possibly, but I think they try to retain Collins first. However Hyder unlike Crawford, CAN play both inside and outside.
Time to move on from the Crawford "versatility" experiment.
Bennett, I would not mind them bringing him back.
Wise who is on the R/F contract, I was not as impressed with him as many were. But year 2, see how he develops.
Ross, a RFA, on IR, and he may not get a tender, as he has been around, 3 years? And had few plays, but not game changing.

They can bring all these guys back, but not for the money some may want, but they best draft a few also.

DLaw needs to stop yapping and start playing. Yes he is signed, but had to throw this in there. :muttley:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I agree. Actually Quinn is the only “must keep” player IMO. DLaw costs too much for his production .
Quit saying DLaw cost too much. I wanted us to sign Preston Smith instead of DLaw. And here you go drubbing up old angst I'm trying to get out of my system. Ugh.

Creeper

Reaction score
The will give Woods a 2nd round tender and if someone wants to sign him for a 2nd round pick, I am sure the Cowboys will be happy to see him go. I am guessing it won;t take much to sign Covington to another short term deal. He is still young so if nothing else he is a body and with all the other free agents, I think they need to keep someone. As McCaly said, they want to fill as many holes as possible in free agency so they are "free" in the draft.

cowboygo

Reaction score
What do people still see in Crawford? I don't get it.
Versatility only. He also said he is open to reducing his salary to continue playing. He started as a 3-4 end with us, and has played the 3-tech & end in a 4-3. Don't know how he looks after hip surgery but wouldn't hurt to bring him back at a reduced price. Now if the option is to save 8M by releasing him and using that for Quinn, I'd rather do that.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
DLaw, Woods and Hill IMO are more or less locks. To my knowledge Jelks, Armstrong and Wise are still under contract and no real reason to part with them. Quinn will most likely get priced out of Dallas, Bennett was more than likely a half season rental. Out of the rest, I only see Collins likely being tendered. He's under 26 with experience. Everyone else can walk. Gregory is a nonfactor, he can't be trusted. Chase a player like Reader in FA, and work DE/DT in draft

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Quinn-Stays (He is coming off a tremendous season and is the ideal RE for a 4 man scheme)
Can only image how much more his stats already buffed stats would have improved had he not missed 4 games.

That said, Quinn was a force on the edge and it would be great to have him back, but I think his great season priced him out of Dallas. The Boys have some young defensive ends like Armstrong and Jackson who have potential, with the right coaching.

It would be great to have Quinn back, but his asking price may be too high.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I like how people say that DT will be addressed in FA and not say who.

Impact DTs do not exist in this year's FA class. Just sign Collins/Woods and be done with it. Anything else is just depth.

Rayman70

Reaction score
A woods is no lock. I can make the argument Dlaw isn't either. THAT would be very stunning mind you, but MM has shown he has no problem while at GB, going with cheaper players that are younger. Given we will be evolving into a different scheme...DLAW better be focused and get his mind right. Nothing will be handed to nobody this offseason. THAT GUY is gone.

Sydla

Reaction score
A woods is no lock. I can make the argument Dlaw isn't either. THAT would be very stunning mind you, but MM has shown he has no problem while at GB, going with cheaper players that are younger. Given we will be evolving into a different scheme...DLAW better be focused and get his mind right. Nothing will be handed to nobody this offseason. THAT GUY is gone.

LOL.

You dump Lawrence and he's got $37MM in dead cap money.

He's a lock for this roster. Don't delude yourself. He could probably walk into MM's office, drop his pants, and crap on his floor and he'd probably still be on this team because financially, it's almost impossible for him to not be on the team in 2020.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I am not sure that's true. I'd take Jordan Phillips over any of our DTs. I'd also take Vernon Butler over our two.

But those guys are going to get paid and we probably won't wade into that level of FA anyway.
Maliek Collins > Jordan Phillips. Vernon Butler plays a different position than them - would be a minor, if any, upgrade to Woods.

DRella

Reaction score
I can see Crawford only coming back by ripping up existing contract and sign at a lower number. A healthy Crawford still is our best DT option. If we can get him on the cheap, the Cowboys should do it while still gaining cap space.

If Crawford is brought back then Collins should go. Crawford and resigning Woods with Hill is a good start at DT. Draft the best available DT in draft and you have a strong interior line.

Quinn to me is a signing that should take place. I would rather put dollars in him then Collins. Having a defensive end rotation of DLaw, Quinn, Armstrong and a re-instated Gregory would be huge for this team.

If Bennett is wiling to sign a vet minimum contract that is a good signing as well.

I would let Hyder, Collins, Covington walk from last years team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Can only image how much more his stats already buffed stats would have improved had he not missed 4 games.

That said, Quinn was a force on the edge and it would be great to have him back, but I think his great season priced him out of Dallas. The Boys have some young defensive ends like Armstrong and Jackson who have potential, with the right coaching.

It would be great to have Quinn back, but his asking price may be too high.
Age and injury history may bring his price down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree about Woods, but it would be too expensive to get away from DLaw's contract. Like him or not, he's staying here for a long time.