Who stays who goes along the DL

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think it makes a lot of difference who gets the early lead. If the Chiefs get up an a team early it can get ugly before halftime.
that's the caveat. If the chiefs get up on em fast,its likely over.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wonder if an NFL offseason strength and conditioning program under his belt along w a camp instructor like Haley or DWare could turn Jelks into a situational rusher?

Thatd be a nice find.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like how people say that DT will be addressed in FA and not say who.

Impact DTs do not exist in this year's FA class. Just sign Collins/Woods and be done with it. Anything else is just depth.

Last off-season the Saints signed M.Brown from the Pats for 5M per (3 years, 15M). He waa part of the brick wall that Zeke was running into in the Saints game this season.

That is the type of signing they need.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if an NFL offseason strength and conditioning program under his belt along w a camp instructor like Haley or DWare could turn Jelks into a situational rusher?

Thatd be a nice find.
I wonder the same about Hill at DT. Hopefully, he's not the lost cause some think he is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thatd be a nice find.
Oddly in college Jelks looked best as a pass rushing DT.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We heard recently that Mike Nolan will continue to run a 4 men base alignment, but will have some hybrid looks in the sub-packages. There has been some rumblings by Will McClay that this staff covets Defensive Tackles with size, which is very refreshing to here. With so many free agents along the DL, who stays, who goes?

Quinn-Stays (He is coming off a tremendous season and is the ideal RE for a 4 man scheme)

Collins/Crawford/Hyder-one stays, 2 go. The team has to keep a veteran in place to groom his replacement
Crawford is still under contract, but the team could save 8 million if he's released. Crawford stays under a reduced contract.

Woods/Covington-One will be retained for the rotation.

I fully expect not only draft capital addressing this area, but some form of free agency.

I can put the names on a dart board and get more names correct than your random guesses.

They need to focus on adding NEW players...

Rayman70

Reaction score
LOOK at the 2 teams in the SB. Both have at least 1 BIG dude on the interior of the dline to be a disruptor and playmaker. We didn't have that. One thing that gets overlooked during the 90's was our dline. We had Leon lett and Chad Hennings on the inside..coupled with Jimmy Jones.We were extremely tough up the middle..all the way back to safety. Football hasn't changed. Its still a game where you need to stop the run and get pressure. Teams that can do this always have a chance to get to the SB providing they have a decent bus driver at QB. We must fix the interior PERIOD.

Verdict

Reaction score
Last off-season the Saints signed M.Brown from the Pats for 5M per (3 years, 15M). He waa part of the brick wall that Zeke was running into in the Saints game this season.

Quinn was another of those type of signings. You can get bargains in free agency if you know how to shop wisely.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
lets just say we will be very active in free agency and moving all around in the draft. I think MM will do a solid rebuild,but it may take 3 years. I know its hard to wait that long,but we need to be patient.
We didn’t just change the coaching staff to wait 3 years. No team in today’s NFL has above average players at every position. After the draft, Free Agency, etc. we will have enough talent to compete with the best teams.

Coaching Matters a lot. Hopefully, now we have the coaching to compete with the other teams with good coaches. As we all know, Garrett could not do this on a consistent basis.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

Scheme, not personnel

408Cowboy

Reaction score
MM has shown he has no problem while at GB, going with cheaper players that are younger.
That's not necessarily true at all. The GM they had believed in building through the draft only. That's why he's gone and they did a 180 in the FO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We didn’t just change the coaching staff to wait 3 years. No team in today’s NFL has above average players at every position. After the draft, Free Agency, etc. we will have enough talent to compete with the best teams.

Coaching Matters a lot. Hopefully, now we have the coaching to compete with the other teams with good coaches. As we all know, Garrett could not do this on a consistent basis.
REALITY IS ,its unlikely we win a SB in 2020..yes I AM HOPEFUL WE CAN SHOCK THE WORLD. Our defense has been overrated for years now. We actually haven't been very talented. SADLY, whether Jerry or we the fans wanna admit it, we are in the midst of a pseudo rebuild on defense. PATIENCE is key. I for one am willing to take a long wait and see outlook. Its a new culture and a new regime in Dallas and it will take time for MM and staff to weed out the keepers from the pretenders. He wont fully know this until camp and the season. Its all gravy if we win 10 plus games this year. If we are expecting him to wave a magic wand and fix all things that ail this franchise, then we are setting ourselves up for needing a shrink lol. Ten wins and a playoff win year one is realistic...but again, like I said on another post, why not Dallas in the SB come 2020-2021? Yes, things will have to go just right...drafting,free agency and such, but it can be done, barring injury. Right now I am just going to bask in the joy of FINALLY having an outstanding leader in MM running the ballclub on the field. THAT IS HUUUUGGGGE!!! That guy doesn't get the love he deserves. The staff is impressive as hell. Players NOW have zero excuses left. NONE. ITS A NEW DAY IN COWBOYVILLE lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
Oddly in college Jelks looked best as a pass rushing DT.
Yes maybe. He isnt anything more than a rotational guy, but if he can come in on an obvious passing down and get a push from inside....

We can all talk about "proven," and "count on,' etc, but we are going to have to find contributors from unlikely sources. Every successful team has to and does.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wonder the same about Hill at DT. Hopefully, he's not the lost cause some think he is.
Hill is probably mentally troubled and needs the right man to get through to him. I dont know who that may be.