Who was a forgettable Cowboys player you'll never forget?

Western

Reaction score
WR Mike Sherrard, 1st round pick in 1986 (up to that year, the only 2nd WR ever drafted by Landry in the 1st round).

Very possible if Sherrard did not suffer significant leg injuries in 87' and 88', the Cowboys brain trust of Tex Schramm/Tom Landry/Gil Brandt may never have drafted Hall of Famer Michael Irvin in 1988.

fredp22

Reaction score
Dan Reeves
Hollywood Henderson
Preston Pearson
Charlie Waters

dwmyers

Reaction score
Mike Montgomery, RB. He is notable for a couple reasons. He was traded for Duane Thomas, but more so, is the only Cowboy I know who injured himself by cutting a tree limb down while sitting on the wrong side
of the limb. There is a sports day article from 2002, most bizarre sports injuries, which detail the ways this guy hurt himself..

D-

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WR Mike Sherrard, 1st round pick in 1986 (up to that year, the only 2nd WR ever drafted by Landry in the 1st round).

Very possible if Sherrard did not suffer significant leg injuries in 87' and 88', the Cowboys brain trust of Tex Schramm/Tom Landry/Gil Brandt may never have drafted Hall of Famer Michael Irvin in 1988.

On the other hand, they may never have had to. Sherrard was looking like he was going to be a really, really good player before the injury. In 1986, his rookie season, he started only 4 games.

1986 Season Stats:

41 Rec., 744 Rec. Yds., 18.5 YPR, 5 TDs.

He was a 6-1, 185 lbs. WR who ran a 4.36 and could catch BBs in the dark. That kid was going to be special. It is a crying damn shame that he suffered those leg injuries because he could have been one of those yellow jacket guys IMO.

MrMom

Reaction score
I played alot of NFL 2k games on PS2 growing up so those early 2000s team roster are stuck in my memory for ever

That's why I will always remember the Willie Blade, Markus Steele, Tony McGee types.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Mike Renfro, not to be confused with Mel who was an all-timer.

Mike caught absolutely everything every single time, I just can't ever remember him flat out dropping a ball.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Julius Jones. aka the tease

After Julius came back from an injury in week 11 of his rookie year he exploded for just over 800 yards in 7 games including 198 against Seattle. He had 3 games of 149 yards or better during that stretch and looked like he may be our next great back, then started to drop off after a fumbling problem. Parcells tore into him and Jones started running like a FB with both hands on the ball. He ran straight into piles and lost the wiggle and elusiveness he had. He had terrific speed, was a home run threat but was never the same back after Parcells got in his head over his fumbling.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
cool post......

Steve Pelluer

Showed some early flash stepping in relief for an injured Danny White to clinch the NFCE in 1985. He ended up replacing White again the following season, which included Walker being added to the team, but eventually fizzled. Got hooked on the Cowboys during the fateful 1984 season and Pelluer, who was crafty and a bit of a slinger of the pigskin, was part of my early journey as a fan.

A little nugget I didn't realize.....Pelluer was the last quarterback to start and win a game for a Tom Landry-coached team.

You beat me to it. Pelluer showed some early flashes. I had gone through the 70s loving Roger Staubach. In the 80s I was frustrated with Danny White, who was actually a good quarterback, but the team was in decline. Pelluer came in with some scrambling abilities similar to those of Staubach. We all wanted desperately for Pelluer to be the next Staubach. He wasn't, of course. He was just another journeyman.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You beat me to it. Pelluer showed some early flashes. I had gone through the 70s loving Roger Staubach. In the 80s I was frustrated with Danny White, who was actually a good quarterback, but the team was in decline. Pelluer came in with some scrambling abilities similar to those of Staubach. We all wanted desperately for Pelluer to be the next Staubach. He wasn't, of course. He was just another journeyman.

Landry was high on Peuller, one reason he was pretty mobile. At the time Aikman was coming out and speculation was swirling that the Cowboys would take him #1 overall, Landry balked at it at first. I remember an interview just prior to the Cotton Bowl and he said he didn't think the QB position was the problem and what would help the team more is to trade the #1 overall pick and build the DL. Sounded as if Landry wanted to trade the pick for established players. He was talked out of that and was in on drafting Aikman at the time he was fired.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jimmie Jones was my man as a kid. I was disappointed that our top overall pick Russell Maryland never made plays. I expected him to be a world beater and he was anything but.

Then Jimmie would come in and make play after play while he was in. Then they started winning championships. Good times.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Landry was high on Peuller, one reason he was pretty mobile. At the time Aikman was coming out and speculation was swirling that the Cowboys would take him #1 overall, Landry balked at it at first. I remember an interview just prior to the Cotton Bowl and he said he didn't think the QB position was the problem and what would help the team more is to trade the #1 overall pick and build the DL. Sounded as if Landry wanted to trade the pick for established players. He was talked out of that and was in on drafting Aikman at the time he was fired.

I wouldn't mind seeing that interview. I've never heard that. I've always heard that Landry was the one who carried the flag for drafting Aikman.