Who was a forgettable Cowboys player you'll never forget?

plymkr

Reaction score
Gary Hogeboom, another one for me. I thought he would subplant Danny White as QB. It was a massive fail.

plymkr

Reaction score
Dana Howard.
Lol, I guess I forgot some things him. Wasn't there a player named Dana Hall in that time frame. I want to say a safety. But yeah Dana Howard is one that stuck with me cuz I'm from Illinois and rooted for him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing that interview. I've never heard that. I've always heard that Landry was the one who carried the flag for drafting Aikman.

It was an interview with Brad Sham prior to the Cotton Bowl. Landry was definitely not on board with drafting Aikman initially. He was asked about drafting Aikman and he said that he didn't think the QB position was the problem, he wanted to build the DL. The team was up for sale and he knew his job was on the line. He talked about it takes 4-5 years to develop a QB, he said you can't just throw a rookie in there. Landry was old school about developing QBs. Not long after that interview Gil Brandt was raving over Aikman during an interview with Verne Lundquist who mentioned that Landry didn't appear to want to draft Aikman.

Brandt laughed and said he would lock himself in a room with Landry and they wouldn't come out until he agrees to draft him because Troy Aikman's don't come along very often. Brandt went on to say that Aikman reminded him of Terry Bradshaw. Landry became sold on Aikman after the Cotton Bowl practices but I'm my opinion he went along with drafting Aikman to try and save his job. Everyone within the organization wanted Aikman as did the fans and with new ownership about to take over Landry gave in.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It was an interview with Brad Sham prior to the Cotton Bowl. Landry was definitely not on board with drafting Aikman initially. He was asked about drafting Aikman and he said that he didn't think the QB position was the problem, he wanted to build the DL. The team was up for sale and he knew his job was on the line. He talked about it takes 4-5 years to develop a QB, he said you can't just throw a rookie in there. Landry was old school about developing QBs. Not long after that interview Gil Brandt was raving over Aikman during an interview with Verne Lundquist who mentioned that Landry didn't appear to want to draft Aikman.

Brandt laughed and said he would lock himself in a room with Landry and they wouldn't come out until he agrees to draft him because Troy Aikman's don't come along very often. Brandt went on to say that Aikman reminded him of Terry Bradshaw. Landry became sold on Aikman after the Cotton Bowl practices but I'm my opinion he went along with drafting Aikman to try and save his job. Everyone within the organization wanted Aikman as did the fans and with new ownership about to take over Landry gave in.

I would have to see that to believe it. Landry had final say in all things draft related. The Cowboys, according to everything I've ever seen or read, were committed to Aikman in the 89 draft. Coach Landry not being on board with the pick would be hard to believe for me. I can believe that the Cowboys would be open to trade discussion but I have never heard that Landry, at any point in time, was against the selection of Aikman 1st over all.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would have to see that to believe it. Landry had final say in all things draft related. The Cowboys, according to everything I've ever seen or read, were committed to Aikman in the 89 draft. Coach Landry not being on board with the pick would be hard to believe for me. I can believe that the Cowboys would be open to trade discussion but I have never heard that Landry, at any point in time, was against the selection of Aikman 1st over all.

This discussion has come up before and others chimed in that saw those interviews so I'm providing a fact. I've tried googling some information on it but nothing has come up. In Landry's own words he said he didn't feel the QB position was the problem and that trading the #1 overall pick to try and build the DL was the way to go. He never committed to drafting Aikman until the Cotton Bowl practices. Jerry and Jimmy were sold on Aikman from the get go. They both made it clear the day Jerry bought the team that Aikman would be the #1 overall pick.

Plankton

Reaction score
Karl Powe
Kelvin Edwards
Cornell Burbage
Broderick Sargent

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This discussion has come up before and others chimed in that saw those interviews so I'm providing a fact. I've tried googling some information on it but nothing has come up. In Landry's own words he said he didn't feel the QB position was the problem and that trading the #1 overall pick to try and build the DL was the way to go. He never committed to drafting Aikman until the Cotton Bowl practices. Jerry and Jimmy were sold on Aikman from the get go. They both made it clear the day Jerry bought the team that Aikman would be the #1 overall pick.

Maybe you are or maybe not. Either way, I would have to see it before I believed it, regardless of who says what.

Plankton

Reaction score
Lol, I guess I forgot some things him. Wasn't there a player named Dana Hall in that time frame. I want to say a safety. But yeah Dana Howard is one that stuck with me cuz I'm from Illinois and rooted for him.

Dana Hall was a 1st round pick of the 49ers - a safety from Washington.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Jethro Pugh,,, mainly because my older sisters would laugh at me whenever I'd mentioned his name,,,why would I mention his name? Because I was a COWBOYS fan:thumbup: