Who was the hardest Cowboy for you to move on from?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
If you want to be helpful stop pretending Romo wouldn't get hurt ever again. I am going based on his history. You are telling me I am wrong. Who's taking more of a leap? I am not trying to validate Dak's season at all. Just pointing out the obvious that Romo wasn't even on the roster.
I never said that he wouldn't get hurt. He's 37 years old. He has an even greater chance of getting hurt than he did a decade ago. Plus, he plays professional football. He could have got hurt.
You, on the other hand, said that he was absolutely going to get hurt, and would be hurt in the very first game, even though none of his injuries had anything to do with his ability to play football, nor were they chronic, nor were they not completely healed. You sound absolutely ridiculous.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I never said that he wouldn't get hurt. He's 37 years old. He has an even greater chance of getting hurt than he did a decade ago. Plus, he plays professional football. He could have got hurt.
You, on the other hand, said that he was absolutely going to get hurt, and would be hurt in the very first game, even though none of his injuries had anything to do with his ability to play football, nor were they chronic, nor were they not completely healed. You sound absolutely ridiculous.
Not chronic? How many broken bones does one person need in his back before its chronic?

JDSmith

Reaction score
Not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is looking at history, the better player wouldn't have been in the game long enough to matter. Chances are he would of been out, and we would have brought Dak back in anyways. That's all I am saying.

But had Romo gotten injured it would have just meant Dak would be back in starting. It would have cost the team nothing, unless someone actually believes the team would totally tank with Romo in there and somehow not even make the playoffs in spite of hugely improved QB play. Because in the end the team finished with a nice regular season record and didn't win a playoff game. The supposed chemistry didn't even carry them past one opponent - and one with a terrible secondary, who gave up over 40 points the following week to Atlanta. And Atlanta could have scored more if they needed them.

In short, the whole chemistry concept was stupid. Teams win and lose on a week to week basis, and putting in a lesser player for the sake of 'chemistry' is nothing short of idiotic.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Tom Landry
Herschel Walker
Randy White

1989 was the year from hell for me.

junior21

Reaction score
Roger Staubach....he was my favorite so it was hard watching without him in the lineup....plus watching Danny White go to 3 straight NFC championships and lose them all didn't help....took a long time to get over that....really long

the_h0wey

Reaction score
While I don’t think it’s this year, I am realizing my time with Dez is probably only another year or two, so it prompted me to make this thread. Which Cowboy was it hardest for you to move on from just from a fan perspective?

For me it was Tony Romo. By the time I became a fan, Aikman was at the end of his rope and then I lived through the years of terrible QB play. Tony was everything to me: charasmatic, great role model, tough as nails, came from nothing (undrafted) and built himself into a star, and the ultimate competitor. Not to mention, fun as hell to watch. I’ll forever hurt that he’s gone.

Who was your guy?

It's very close between Troy and Tony. Tony wins because he unfortunately never got a Super Bowl. He also took more crap than any football player ever should. I'm glad he seems to be enjoying life after his playing career. It seems like he is a legitimately nice guy

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None were ever hard to move on from because there was never any expectation that any of them would last forever. The closest was Staubach, who I felt was still playing at a high level and only had to retire because of repeated concussions, but even then we had a quality guy stepping into the role (Danny White). It's just the nature of anything - I might miss a certain era and some of the players, but moving on to the next is just the way it is.

RD21

Reaction score
Roger Staubach....he was my favorite so it was hard watching without him in the lineup....plus watching Danny White go to 3 straight NFC championships and lose them all didn't help....took a long time to get over that....really long
That was difficult...!!

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I never got over Ken Norton Jr going to the 49ers.
He was approaching his prime and was the heart of that great D.
Seeing him win a superbowl in 94 hurt like hell. He should have been manning our D.
In fact it was hard seeing lots of those rotational players leave too. I get it. They wanted the money in the new free agency world but Maryland, Jimmie Jones, thise guys made that D fun to watch....

weaver21

Reaction score
It'll probably take me a while to get over not seeing Romo as quarterback for the Boys. Being one of the younger generation of Cowboys fans, Tony was my quarterback during my teenage and college years and he became my favorite player instantly after going through the Quincy/Vinny/Bledsoe days. He was just so fun to watch and his story of being undrafted and grinding through being on the bench for 3 and a half seasons is pretty incredible. It breaks my heart that he could never win a Super Bowl because he damn sure deserved one. Ware was another tough one, but I was ecstatic when he won one with Denver. Witten will be hard to watch as well because he was such a great football player and person off the field. A very consummate professional and an absolute Cowboys legend.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Easily Romo.

1. It was a monumentally stupid decision by the team.
2. We are much worse off because of it.
3. We lost 2+ potential SB runs.
4. We're likely going to struggle for awhile before we can find someone else even close to his caliber.
5. The organization is slow to realize mistakes, so #4 will probably be more protracted than it should be.
6. Games are not nearly as fun without him, even when we win.