Who was the hardest Cowboy for you to move on from?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
While I don’t think it’s this year, I am realizing my time with Dez is probably only another year or two, so it prompted me to make this thread. Which Cowboy was it hardest for you to move on from just from a fan perspective?

For me it was Tony Romo. By the time I became a fan, Aikman was at the end of his rope and then I lived through the years of terrible QB play. Tony was everything to me: charasmatic, great role model, tough as nails, came from nothing (undrafted) and built himself into a star, and the ultimate competitor. Not to mention, fun as hell to watch. I’ll forever hurt that he’s gone.

Who was your guy?
Hershal Walker, hes the reason im a Cowboys fan.

Jipper

Reaction score
emmitt....i still cant believe that we wouldn't keep him and let him go to the cardnials...he jsut didnt look right in red

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Ware. You knew he could still play in a limited fashion, but that he would command too much money.

DFWJC

Reaction score
His season ending pick sixes on first down were "chronic" he was pretty much a failure in every important game of his career
Maybe you can name all of these season ending pick 6s?
Have to be exactly what you just said. Pick 6 to end the season.
And you imply several of them...so that too

Put up or shut the hell up

Pretty sure there was never one season-ending pick 6 in his entire career.
Not one.

At washington in 2012 was a stinker though. But even that wasnt what you say.

Last edited:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Troy leaving was a hard pill to swallow
Smith going to the Cards sucked
Woody retirement still hurts
Ware being cut sucked big time
When Witten calls it quits that will be a sad day
I won't be sad. As great as he is/was he is a part of what is holding this offense back.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Without question Roger Staubach. He was the Cowboys starting QB when I started following the team in 1972. He was all I ever knew at the position. Back in those days it was hard to imagine life without Roger at the helm. He did so much for the Cowboys leading them to their first championship and turning them into America’s Team. No sadder day for Cowboy fans than the day he retired.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Roger won his fourth passing title in his final season. He was without question the best QB in the league when he called it quits. Total shock.

Staubach's league rank, passer rating
1971 1st
1973 1st
1974 14th
1975 8th
1976 8th
1977 2nd
1978 1st
1979 1st

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Aikman, Emmitt, Ware and Romo were all released due to being past their prime. Roger Staubach was never released and his retirement came as a surprise because he was coming off arguably his best season. It’s one thing to lose a player to retirement or them being released because they were past their prime but It’s a whole different deal when they retire at the top of their game. Not only was Roger coming off arguably his best season in 1979 but he orchestrated arguably his greatest comeback in the season finale that year against Washington.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith. Forced to play with the Cardinals, because Dallas went with Hambrick. :eek:
Um. No. Dallas actually offered Emmitt more money than the Cardinals offered him to stick around. He knew that he would have to earn his status as a starter when Parcells came on board and turned tail to the desert rather than standing up like a man and earning his spot. Then he went n record saying he was a diamond surrounded by trash (even if the statement was true it was classless and a cowards move). I've was so stoked when Emmitt had the worst rushing game of his career (2 yards)against us when Roy Williams snapped that *****es collar bone. I love what Emmitt did for this team and I've forgiven the dude but he got what he deserved when he went to Arizona: a tainted career and not one lick closer to post season success.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Um. No. Dallas actually offered Emmitt more money than the Cardinals offered him to stick around. He knew that he would have to earn his status as a starter when Parcells came on board and turned tail to the desert rather than standing up like a man and earning his spot. Then he went n record saying he was a diamond surrounded by trash (even if the statement was true it was classless and a cowards move). I've was so stoked when Emmitt had the worst rushing game of his career (2 yards)against us when Roy Williams snapped that *****es collar bone. I love what Emmitt did for this team and I've forgiven the dude but he got what he deserved when he went to Arizona: a tainted career and not one lick closer to post season success.

Emmitt had a year or two remaining on his contract. He was a cap casualty, and was cut.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cowboys-release-a-football-legend/

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Michael Irvin retiring was tough because he was still playing at a high level and his retirement came unexpectedly due to injury. He was coming off back to back 1000 yard season’s and had gotten off to a good start in the 99 season with three TDs and was averaging almost 17 yards a catch. Losing him after the fourth game of the 99 season caused our season to implode.

It’s much easier to deal with a players retirement who’s game has declined. You see their game coming down and as the fan you’re ready to move on to a younger player. As much as I loved Emmitt his retirement didn’t bother me because he was playing with the Cardinals at the time.

zack

Reaction score
Romo for me. I know I was in the minority during Dak’s run. I really wanted Romo to get his job back. That press conference was brutal, felt bad for him. I guess when you look back at the press conference, that was his retirement speech.