Who Will Be the First $60M Per Year Quarterback?

JayFord

Reaction score
Anybody getting 60, mil per year it should be Mahomes

If it ain't then there's something wrong

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Anybody getting 60, mil per year it should be Mahomes

If it ain't then there's something wrong
Wont be Mahomes, he took the team friendly deal. It's most likely the first QB to sign a contract after the 2025 cap number is released.

Mahomes is by far the NFL leader in endorsement deals bringing in north of $20M per year. I think he has the right idea that he will make just as much, if not more by sharing some of the pie and continuing to get into championship games and superbowls.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I think the owners and agents have this figured out privately.

Fans might not like it that below average starter QB's get paid 15%+ in the NFL...but thats the way it is. The top QB's get 21%+.

I think its agreed upon by the owners and agents.

Im not saying fans shouldnt question it a little...but it is what it is...and I would bet money on it that top owners and agents have discussed this in private and set the bar where it is.

How often is there going to be a QB of Mahomes quality come available as a Free Agent where teams would push north of 25% for a player? It doesnt happen often. So...22.5% is about the max these guys are getting paid against their first year of contract vs the current cap number.

Whats the big deal?

63.85M would be 25% of cap this year. 76.62M would be 30% of cap.

Given what we know about Mahomes...would any team eclipse 30% for him? Without mudding the convo with "after a couple of years that number goes to about 23%".

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think the owners and agents have this figured out privately.

Fans might not like it that below average starter QB's get paid 15%+ in the NFL...but thats the way it is. The top QB's get 21%+.

I think its agreed upon by the owners and agents.

Im not saying fans shouldnt question it a little...but it is what it is...and I would bet money on it that top owners and agents have discussed this in private and set the bar where it is.

How often is there going to be a QB of Mahomes quality come available as a Free Agent where teams would push north of 25% for a player? It doesnt happen often. So...22.5% is about the max these guys are getting paid against their first year of contract vs the current cap number.

Whats the big deal?

63.85M would be 25% of cap this year. 76.62M would be 30% of cap.

Given what we know about Mahomes...would any team eclipse 30% for him? Without mudding the convo with "after a couple of years that number goes to about 23%".
22.5% is where Mahomes signed. Since then it continues to creep up....Hurts matched that percentage despite a significantly less impressive resume, and not the extremely team friendly 10 year deal. Josh Allen came in at 23.5 in 2021. Jackson at 23.1. Herbert at 23.3. Burrow at 24.5.

Guys are also negotiating the no trade and/or not tag clauses like Dak has which will position them to either hit free agency or command a new record breaking deal for the next contract.

You're right that for most of these guys 22.5% is about the cap, however the trajectory is still going up, and the clauses & structure of these deals are positioning these guys to eat up even more.

Personally I struggle to feel sorry for GMs/owners that are handing out these deals. If they feel it's too much to have a QB and field a competitive team around them then move on from the QB, let him mess up another teams cap situation, and build up the rest of your team. If feel that puts your team at a disadvantage then pay your QB. Ultimately either these guys are worth the price tag or they aren't. If teams can't figure it out then they have a GM problem more than a QB problem.

Creeper

Reaction score
It is going to be Dak. The Trevor Lawrence contract has set the table for Dak to ask for $60 million and Jerry has so little leverage he has no choice but to give it to him or let him walk, and I don't think Jerry, at his age, wants to go into the QB abyss.

At the same time GB would be idiotic to give Love a new contract now. Same with the Texans and Stroud. But while Love had a good year last year he still did not look the part to me. He throws the ball up for grabs when he is in trouble and that can turn a good QB into a backup very quickly in the NFL. Purdy could get $60 mil but I think the niners have more time to deal with him.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
22.5% is where Mahomes signed. Since then it continues to creep up....Hurts matched that percentage despite a significantly less impressive resume, and not the extremely team friendly 10 year deal. Josh Allen came in at 23.5 in 2021. Jackson at 23.1. Herbert at 23.3. Burrow at 24.5.

Guys are also negotiating the no trade and/or not tag clauses like Dak has which will position them to either hit free agency or command a new record breaking deal for the next contract.

You're right that for most of these guys 22.5% is about the cap, however the trajectory is still going up, and the clauses & structure of these deals are positioning these guys to eat up even more.

Personally I struggle to feel sorry for GMs/owners that are handing out these deals. If they feel it's too much to have a QB and field a competitive team around them then move on from the QB, let him mess up another teams cap situation, and build up the rest of your team. If feel that puts your team at a disadvantage then pay your QB. Ultimately either these guys are worth the price tag or they aren't. If teams can't figure it out then they have a GM problem more than a QB problem.
The thing is...its business first for the owners.

I think that is why the past couple of years I keep seeing the phrase "Its an entertainment business" more and more frequently.

Its higher ups planting seeds to condition the masses that its about money first and not the sport.

Which brings me to the QB prices. Jerry knows that keeping fans eyes glued makes more money than tearing down and rebuilding the team every few years. Finding a QB is hard. QB's that dont perform cause casuals to turn the channel...which means less money for the owner. Dak performs more than well enough to keep fans interested. (Now...because of Jerry's age...he might try something new to get that last Championship before his days are over)

I think the QB market is not only about the position being important to win....but more importantly about making the owners money.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The thing is...its business first for the owners.

I think that is why the past couple of years I keep seeing the phrase "Its an entertainment business" more and more frequently.

Its higher ups planting seeds to condition the masses that its about money first and not the sport.

Which brings me to the QB prices. Jerry knows that keeping fans eyes glued makes more money than tearing down and rebuilding the team every few years. Finding a QB is hard. QB's that dont perform cause casuals to turn the channel...which means less money for the owner. Dak performs more than well enough to keep fans interested. (Now...because of Jerry's age...he might try something new to get that last Championship before his days are over)

I think the QB market is not only about the position being important to win....but more importantly about making the owners money.
I think you make a fair point. QBs drive a lot of ratings, they typically sell the most merch, etc.

I think for that reason it makes it extremely hard to feel bad for these owners who elect to pay these QBs top dollar then. If their top priority is to entertain and make a few extra bucks then keep their QBs and go that route, but I don't want to hear about those same owners complaining about paying the guys who help them reach their goals. There will be other teams who prioritize winning championships. The teams are the ones creating the issue here, not the players. Absolutely zero sympathy for these owners.

plymkr

Reaction score
I agree he will get it on the open market, especially with early projections of a weak QB draft class........but I think $60M is going way too high for Jerry regardless of what happens this season.
I think so too. I also think 55 was too high for Jerry hence the hesitation. My prediction is Dak has a similar season like he had last year with a slight dip in stats (barring injury of course) and another team will overpay 60 for him. I’m not advocating for this or advocating for him to stay but this is my prediction of what will play out. I’m pretty convinced if we start the regular season without an extension then it’s been decided to let him walk.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak will get more money than Burrow and Lawrence, but he won’t get $60 million. The next QB that resets the market is usually a little higher than the previous QB who reset the market. I just don’t see anyone jumping from $55 million to $60 million. Dak will get between $56M and $58M. By the time CJ Stroud is due for his extension he’ll get 60+ million if he continues to elevate his play. He could be the first $65 million QB.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s going to be interesting to see how high Miami is willing to go with Tua whose numbers have been better than Trevor Lawrence. Although he doesn’t have a playoff win. The talent around Tua has increased his production.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Isn't that collusion? (LOL)
Something we need to keep in mind.......players are making a killing only coz owners are making one. Honestly, it just shows the popularity of the sport, coz at the end of the day, we the fans are paying the owners who have to share with the players.
Yes sir. The salary cap goes up and ticket prices and merchandise goes up.

plymkr

Reaction score
It’s going to be interesting to see how high Miami is willing to go with Tua whose numbers have been better than Trevor Lawrence. Although he doesn’t have a playoff win. The talent around Tua has increased his production.
Tua also has injury concerns that Lawrence doesn’t have. Tua had some scary concussions a couple years ago. I’d be a little gun shy to offer him a huge signing bonus and guaranteed money if he’s close to retirement due to concussions.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tua also has injury concerns that Lawrence doesn’t have. Tua had some scary concussions a couple years ago. I’d be a little gun shy to offer him a huge signing bonus and guaranteed money if he’s close to retirement due to concussions.
That just adds to the intrigue of what Miami is going to do. Prior to the draft some speculated they might draft a QB and move on from Tua. These QB contracts have really created a dilemma for NFL teams, especially the one Lawrence just signed. He’s been average.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys have put themselves in a position that if Dak isn’t extended by the season opener and the season were to start going sideways early, they may have to play Trey Lance just to see what he has. They may have no choice because if Dak still isn’t signed by the start of the regular season, he’ll likely play out the season and test free agency. The Cowboys will no doubt lose him in free agency if money is the deciding factor. The team is going to have to know what they have in Lance to see if they’re going to have to use a high pick on a QB in next years draft.