Who Will Be the First $60M Per Year Quarterback?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The next QB that resets the market is usually a little higher than the previous QB who reset the market. I just don’t see anyone jumping from $55 million to $60 million. Dak will get between $56M and $58M
This is true .......it's unlikely the next QB to sign will get a $5M increase over the highest paid but it has happened. Not long ago, Murray was the highest paid at $46M until the Eagles signed Hurrts for $51M. I just have a feeling Dak is going to have one of his typical excellent regular seasons and perhaps win a couple of playoff games but his value is going be more than Jerry is willing pay.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Cowboys have put themselves in a position that if Dak isn’t extended by the season opener and the season were to start going sideways early, they may have to play Trey Lance just to see what he has. They may have no choice because if Dak still isn’t signed by the start of the regular season, he’ll likely play out the season and test free agency. The Cowboys will no doubt lose him in free agency if money is the deciding factor. The team is going to have to know what they have in Lance to see if they’re going to have to use a high pick on a QB in next years draft.
I have been saying this........IF this season gets ugly, it would not surprise me to see them bench Dak for the very reason you mentioned.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is true .......it's unlikely the next QB to sign will get a $5M increase over the highest paid but it has happened. Not long ago, Murray was the highest paid at $46M until the Eagles signed Hurrts for $51M. I just have a feeling Dak is going to have one of his typical excellent regular seasons and perhaps win a couple of playoff games but his value is going be more than Jerry is willing pay.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback
Hurts was coming off a Super Bowl appearance in a season where he was second in the voting for MVP. Although Dak was second in the MVP voting last season, the Cowboys went one and done in the playoffs. The only way I see Dak reaching $60 million is if he were to have a great season and lead the Cowboys deep into the playoffs. If he were to lead the Cowboys to a championship this year then he will be the first $60 million man but I just don’t see it happening.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have been saying this........IF this season gets ugly, it would not surprise me to see them bench Dak for the very reason you mentioned.
He could get benched if the season starts going sour if he hasn’t been extended. That would clearly mark the end of him with the Cowboys. No way would he stay around and resign after being benched. The Cowboys wouldn’t have any plans of extending him if they bench him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He could get benched if the season starts going sour if he hasn’t been extended. That would clearly mark the end of him with the Cowboys. No way would he stay around and resign after being benched. The Cowboys wouldn’t have any plans of extending him if they bench him.
I know he's "betting on himself" but mann, he's taking a huge risk, especially injury-wise.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know he's "betting on himself" but mann, he's taking a huge risk, especially injury-wise.
Not as big a risk as he took the first time around before he got paid. He has a lot of money now. The Cowboys are taking a bigger risk.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

"Who Will Be the First $60M Per Year Quarterback?"

God help us if it's Dak. :banghead: