Who Will Be the First $60M Per Year Quarterback?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
  • Dak
  • Purdy
  • Love
  • Stroud
Honestly, the fact Dak is in the conversation shows his value is way more than some fans want to believe.

Adreme

Reaction score
Perceived value.
If the NFL teams have decided that his value is 60m then his value is 60m. Value is not what people wish something were but instead what it actually is.

This question is silly though in that even talking about Stroud as a 60m QB implies no one will hit that number in the next 2 years which is unlikely. Either Love or Purdy will get that number if Dak does not get it first which means thinking of Stroud in that context is meaningless.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Dak
  • Purdy
  • Love
  • Stroud
Honestly, the fact Dak is in the conversation shows his value is way more than some fans want to believe.

Being in any conversation Mike Florio is having means absolutely nothing to me. He despises the Cowboys and will love seeing one player make $60m to destroy the rest of the team's chances to field a playoff contender.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
If the NFL teams have decided that his value is 60m then his value is 60m. Value is not what people wish something were but instead what it actually is.

This question is silly though in that even talking about Stroud as a 60m QB implies no one will hit that number in the next 2 years which is unlikely. Either Love or Purdy will get that number if Dak does not get it first which means thinking of Stroud in that context is meaningless.
Great story.

plasticman

Reaction score
It won't be me.

That's about as far as I'll go when discussing money in the NFL. Honestly, I've decided to treat it like injury news.

I understand that this is a good strategic question. Undoubtedly, it is an important one when salary caps effect the way teams are built. However, it's not part of the action on the field. Salaries and contracts are just not part of the entertainment aspect.

Don't we all have enough stress and pressure when it comes our daily lives? Why should a pro athlete's contract play out like some new Netflix drama? (I was going to use daytime soap opera but remembered the times).

So some guys will sit out due to a contract dispute. Others will sit out because they are hurt. It's all part of the NFL game. CeeDee might as well have a minor nagging injury that prevents him from practicing and what not.

As far as Dak's contract?

Hey, it's somebody's job in the Cowboys organization to worry about all this for us. If he's not doing a good job, then he gets fired, right?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
  • Dak
  • Purdy
  • Love
  • Stroud

It's Dak. The question is whether he would concede on length of contract to stay on Dallas. He won't get $60m from Jerry on a 3/4 contract (with the $40m Dead Money to factor in, in 2025).
Someone will pay Dak the money, though it may not be in a location of his primary choice (or a team that's going to compete).

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anything under 100 million a year will be an insult to Dak (the goat) Prescott!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Get er done Jerry, best GM in the league! first 10 year billion dollar contract!

ALL INNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

KURT WARNER VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!! Three 12 win seasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Trolls in Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 135 years of coaching experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwitten82

Reaction score
The packers would be dumb to sign Love to a long term contract before this season. He's had one good year, make him prove he can do it again

glimmerman

Reaction score
JJ is going to pay him so why not pay him now and free up some money. Every contract for these starting franchise QBs are going to be a little bigger than the next. What was the last one 56.5 or 55.5. So offer him 56 or 57 and save you a couple of bucks.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

NFL teams don't decide, the MARKET decides!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It won't be me.

That's about as far as I'll go when discussing money in the NFL. Honestly, I've decided to treat it like injury news.

I understand that this is a good strategic question. Undoubtedly, it is an important one when salary caps effect the way teams are built. However, it's not part of the action on the field. Salaries and contracts are just not part of the entertainment aspect.

Don't we all have enough stress and pressure when it comes our daily lives? Why should a pro athlete's contract play out like some new Netflix drama? (I was going to use daytime soap opera but remembered the times).

So some guys will sit out due to a contract dispute. Others will sit out because they are hurt. It's all part of the NFL game. CeeDee might as well have a minor nagging injury that prevents him from practicing and what not.

As far as Dak's contract?

Hey, it's somebody's job in the Cowboys organization to worry about all this for us. If he's not doing a good job, then he gets fired, right?
well once ceedee gets the big deal, you'll begin to see that happen!

bandfan

Reaction score
I think the better question is, if the salary cap never existed would the NFL already have a billion dollar QB?

plasticman

Reaction score
If I was a GM I wouldn't follow the "franchise quarterback" crowd and I would concentrate on defense.

I would draft one QB in the top three rounds every three years. I would draft another immediately the next year if evaluation determined he was a bust. I would do that same as the 49ers. I would get rid of a bust fast. I would certainly depend on the expertise of those coaches

At any rate I would always have a QB that was drafted in a top 3 round still under his rookie contract....at all times.

When any QB was up for his 2nd contract I would be fair as possible depending on his actual value to the team. I'd allow for a little pushback, agents gotta have their moment. I would start the negotiations one or two years prior depending on the fifth year option if available.

However if a good but not great QB started talking max money, I would trade him as soon as possible if he has value.

I don't think that drafting a QB with a top three round pick every three years is unreasonable. That's one pick out of their best 9 picks every three years for the guy that impacts the game more than any other on the field.

The Cowboys commitment to the QB position when it comes to the draft has been beyond dismal. The result is their present circumstances.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
I hate the NFL has come to this new age with QB signings.... It doesn't even matter anymore if the QB is top 5 or top 3... if it's your turn to sign you sign record setting deals. Which then over-inflates the QB market. Then all the QBs who are worthy of those deals get disgruntled so they hold out for new deals. Then they re-sign for record setting deals. It's like a carousel that never ends now. It's ridiculous. There needs to be a contract clause that states if you're not at least top 5 statistically you can't get paid like a top 5 QB. This is just absurd.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree 100%. But if they do it, it's for cap reasons. It is risky.
But if you know he's your guy........I see nothing wrong with signing him now to a 3-4 year deal. There is little to no chance he's going flop so bad that they will want to cut the cord within the next 2-3 years. But the wait and make him prove it again is costing you more money. This is exactly what Stephen and Jerry did after Dak's 3rd year and they paid a price. Also not signing him now risks him having a career season and guess who now would rather wait.

Flamma

Reaction score
But if you know he's your guy........I see nothing wrong with signing him now to a 3-4 year deal. There is little to no chance he's going flop so bad that they will want to cut the cord within the next 2-3 years. But the wait and make him prove it again is costing you more money. This is exactly what Stephen and Jerry did after Dak's 3rd year and they paid a price. Also not signing him now risks him having a career season and guess who now would rather wait.
Yeah, there's limited risk for a 2nd contract if done as early as possible. It's only when you wait you can get into trouble. Look how they structured Daniel Jones Contract. With an out after 2 years.

Third contracts can get messy. You really have to believe in your QB for that to happen. Because you're usually pushing a ton of money forward that was left over from the 2nd contract.