Who would be happy or upset if Trey Lance lights it up in pre-season?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
If he did light it up in preseason he would still go to the bench as the money is being paid out to just Dakota

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.
Who would be happy and who would be upset?

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
If we have top flight competition at every position that results in a better player being installed that is a good thing.

It doesn't have to be restricted to the QB.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Why would any Cowboys fan wish for anything but him lighting it up in the preseason?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
I'm happy when my Cowboys do well. Don't care if it's Dak or Lance.

Jarntt

Reaction score
jerry would be because he wants his son dak to start
What does Lance playing well have to do with Dak starting? If Dak is on the team he is starting. Lance playing well means he wins the #2 job and doesn't get cut. If he doesn't play well he is gone because you can't pay that salary to a #3 in his 4th season.

budsboys

Reaction score
I'd be extremely happy as of now at this moment I think we should trade Dak accumulate high draft picks and go with Lance and if it fails look to draft a quarter back I like Dak but when it comes to playing a good defensive team he folds looks like a deer in headlights and if you extend him then the trade for Lance was a waste I'd rather go 4-13 with Lance than 12-5 with Dak and one and done in the playoffs at least if you go with Lance and it doesn't work we'll get some good draft capital for just trading Dak and then our own pick will be a high first

Jimbo123

Reaction score
What does Lance playing well have to do with Dak starting? If Dak is on the team he is starting. Lance playing well means he wins the #2 job and doesn't get cut. If he doesn't play well he is gone because you can't pay that salary to a #3 in his 4th season.
I think if Lance was good enough to win the #2 job he would have done so this year. He was never activated for even one game other than as an emergency QB. He's just not good.

Cmac

Reaction score
Light it up in preseason.......now that's a variable.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Any fan would welcome that if it got us further in the playoffs. Its not about individual players, its about overall team success. With that said lighting it up in the preseason is a lot different than the regular season and its unlikely Dak plays in the preseason so seems almost impossible for this scenario to play out. However, if Dak isn't having a good season and Trey looks ready why not give him a crack.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if Lance was good enough to win the #2 job he would have done so this year. He was never activated for even one game other than as an emergency QB. He's just not good.
SF had decided he was their starter for the 2022 season and they made Jimmy G. a backup to start that year.

Lance then then played 1 full game and had 3 pass attempts in the 2nd game before his season ending injury.

Did they really see enough in less than 2 games to know that he can't develop into an NFL starter despite believing that he could at the beginning of the 2022 season?

Jimbo123

Reaction score
SF had decided he was their starter for the 2022 season and they made Jimmy G. a backup to start that year.

Lance then then played 1 full game and had 3 pass attempts in the 2nd game before his season ending injury.

Did they really see enough in less than 2 games to know that he can't develop into an NFL starter despite believing that he could at the beginning of the 2022 season?
If he could learn how to tackle maybe he could be a serviceable safety. He's not a QB.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We all know that. When he entered college camps listed as a QB, after the they changed him from QB to athlete. Most schools wanted to move him to the defensive side of the ball.

We don't need an athlete pretending to be a QB.

Once again he could not win the starting job in HS, until his senior year. He only had 55 completions. Was not recruited. Only played 1 year in college. Has not played in 5 years.

You would be better off bringing Kaepernick for crying out loud.
It is also obvious that Dallas will never get to a championship as constructed.