Who would be happy or upset if Trey Lance lights it up in pre-season?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell me how anyone trades 3 first round picks for someone who struggle to start in HS. Then when he did, did not play well. Was labeled only as an athlete at college camps. Took 3 years to get on the field in college and only played 1 year. Then sat a year before getting drafted.
Remember this is the same team who is in the NFCCG tomorrow and could be playing the in super bowl in 2 weeks. Taking a risk trying to improve the most important position on the team to make them better.

While teams like Dallas sit on their hands and refuse to draft a QB high because they are spending draft picks trying to fill holes on a roster the owner says is good enough to win a super bowl.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Remember this is the same team who is in the NFCCG tomorrow and could be playing the in super bowl in 2 weeks. Taking a risk trying to improve the most important position on the team to make them better.

While teams like Dallas sit on their hands and refuse to draft a QB high because they are spending draft picks trying to fill holes on a roster the owner says is good enough to win a super bowl.
Well the dumbest risk ever take in the NFL and will most likely cost them a SB if not more. I am glad they did it, I am not a Niners fan. Lynch should have been fired immediately.

Jipper

Reaction score
why would any cowboys fan be unhappy if he lights it up? Worst case he is a backup and trade bait, we should want every player on the roster to light it up in the preseason

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
why would any cowboys fan be unhappy if he lights it up? Worst case he is a backup and trade bait, we should want every player on the roster to light it up in the preseason
this..... no one would be upset, once he starts THEN the QB war lines will be drawn...this is the Dallas Cowboys half will like the starting QB the other half will want another one immediatley..it is what it is..

TheCritic

Reaction score
It’s never going to happen, so it’s silly to even play along. Lance will be competing for the backup job with Cooper Rush, not the starting job. The Cowboys will be extending Dak to avoid a major cap hit, so it won’t matter how good Lance looks in OTA’s and preseason.
I tend to agree with this. I think it would take Dak getting injured and Lance playing well in his absence to bring it into the realm of a QB controversy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No one would be. But if he could not light it up in HS and not really in college. Could not win a back up job with a team that loved him and traded the world for him. Then could not take the back up job from Rush, and has not played in basically 5 years, what makes you think anything like that could happen?

The writing is on the wall.

RonWashington

Reaction score
My hope is burning a 4 for a QB ( Dak was a 4th rounder ) for Lance I hope he gets a chance to start . Realistically be the backup goodbye Rush good luck

Jipper

Reaction score
No one would be. But if he could not light it up in HS and not really in college. Could not win a back up job with a team that loved him and traded the world for him. Then could not take the back up job from Rush, and has not played in basically 5 years, what makes you think anything like that could happen?

The writing is on the wall.
I never said I thought he would light it up, I simply questioned why anyone would be upset if he did....

conner01

Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.
Who would be happy and who would be upset?

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
Who would be happy and who would be upset?
Who wouldn’t be happy? That means we found dak’s backup lol

conner01

Reaction score
I’d love to see him light it up. But realistically I’d be pretty happy to see him play goid solid football. He’s still raw and progress is what I want to see. Show he’s a better player than last time he played because that’s what’s the best outcome for the team

slick325

Reaction score
I'd definitely be happy to see substantial progression and a big leap from Trey Lance this offseason/preseason. Dallas would either have found their next "franchise QB" or would have a tradeable (sp?) piece that might next a 2nd or 3rd round pick (possible more if Jerry Jones the great negotiator gets the best in a trade).

Either scenario is good for the Dallas Cowboys.

Edit: I wish the Cowboys would draft and develop a QB every year or every other year. Same rules apply, either he becomes the QB1 or becomes a tradeable (sp?) piece.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I'd definitely be happy to see substantial progression and a big leap from Trey Lance this offseason/preseason. Dallas would either have found their next "franchise QB" or would have a tradeable (sp?) piece that might next a 2nd or 3rd round pick (possible more if Jerry Jones the great negotiator gets the best in a trade).

Either scenario is good for the Dallas Cowboys.

Edit: I wish the Cowboys would draft and develop a QB every year or every other year. Same rules apply, either he becomes the QB1 or becomes a tradeable (sp?) piece.
they were supposed to last draft, hence why we now have lance

Mark

Reaction score
Jerry probably found another dry well with Lance...which, of course, is just another day in the life of a wildcatter.