Who would be happy or upset if Trey Lance lights it up in pre-season?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't say "immediate post game opinions" but this

I will be posting polls like this after big wins an big losses to gauge how everyone is feeling about various aspects of the team.

is pretty close. Basically saying, right after the game we are posting the poll to gauge how people are feeling in the aftermath of either a good win or a bad loss.

it also says poll will be closed before next game, indicating that the feedback sought from these polls is designed to be fairly recent and tied to the most recent game.

PS that's not the last poll. Dak's approval in this poll you linked is in the high 80's
the most recent poll was a total reversal of that #, with his disapproval in the high 80's. Just for accuracy's sake. ;)
I hope this clarifies things for @TwentyOne

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
where do you have that info from?

The question for the poll was very clear and well formulated. It said "Are you happy with Prescott as the QB of the Dallas Cowboys". And the answer for that is not an immediate opinion.

here is the last poll. please show me where he wrote immediate post game opinion. Or at which point we were encouraged to do so.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/are...the-quarterback-of-the-dallas-cowboys.519937/
Check the 1st and 2nd comments please:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/are...the-quarterback-of-the-dallas-cowboys.518668/

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It doesn't say "immediate post game opinions" but this

I will be posting polls like this after big wins an big losses to gauge how everyone is feeling about various aspects of the team.

is pretty close. Basically saying, right after the game we are posting the poll to gauge how people are feeling in the aftermath of either a good win or a bad loss.

it also says poll will be closed before next game, indicating that the feedback sought from these polls is designed to be fairly recent and tied to the most recent game.

PS that's not the last poll. Dak's approval in this poll you linked is in the high 80's
the most recent poll was a total reversal of that #, with his disapproval in the high 80's. Just for accuracy's sake. ;)
No its not even close. And as hard as you will try to squeeze it it will not be close.

I do understand of course that it can be interpreted the way you do. Still imo it is wrong.

And it doesnt say in the aftermath. That is another thing you read into it. It says "post your feelings about various aspects of the team"
Feelings can be short time based or based over longer experience about something or someone.

That the posts says "the poll will be closed before next game..." could be indicating what you wrote. And it makes sense.
But it could also indicate a lot of other things. For instance that one reason for the poll is to see how many people here have "short term" opinions and how many build their opinions over time. And to me that makes much more sense.

But that again is interpretation. If you are not sure about the intention of something i'd suggest to rather stick to what was written.

As you can see from the different polls: The results vary in extremes from 10% to 90% for both sides. When we win and Dak has great stats it goes up. When we lose and Dak has bad stats it goes down. To me his stats in one game and a win does say nothing about the talent or the player himself. It does not change my opinion about him. So to me the poll has basically no value. But it "proves" to me my feeling that i had before those polls. Most peoples opinions here have no value if you are looking for meaningfull information.

An (a bit exaggerated) example at the end. Just ask yourself: would you marry (or trust) a girl from that you know she would say yes today but no tomorrow and yes again the next day? Just because you were nice to her yesterday but not today but will be nice again tomorrow.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree that most 1st round QBs fail. but at some point you have to dip your toes. I have been advocating for a while, that the team should draft a QB in first 3 rounds every 3 years or so, develop and be ready and give themselves an option. if they are good, then you have option to trade or option to replace..... going cheap and swinging low in the 7th round and hoping you hit on a purdy happens once every 30 drafts. you have to invest.
After analyzing all the drafts since 2000 I think some teams do exactly that. They draft QBs in late rounds hoping to hit a diamond in the rough. But I also think teams that draft QBs just to draft them do not succeed that often. I think you draft a QB when he is the best player available or you see something to separate him from other QBs.

exciter

Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.
Who would be happy and who would be upset?

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
Question would be … who is living in the fantasy wonderland believing that would come to fruition.
Could that person point out Alice… I’d like to meet her!

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
Most fans want the boys do well in post season and win championships, Dak or no Dak . So if we get anyone to push into the promised land , internal or external is welcome.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why should a 3rd string scout team QB be given a chance to compete for a starting position?...LOL... Lance is to Rush what Rush is to Dak.
Wrong, he is more athletic than both. He just needs the experience.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't think any fan would actually be unhappy if Lance lights it up. Some might be if he outplays Dak since they have hitched their wagon to him.

The premise kind of gets bogged down where you have him taking the starting job. Again, I don't think fans would be unhappy if he did it and led us to the championship game. If Dak had done that the year he replaced Romo, I don't think there would have been as much grousing about that.

The problem is that it is impossible to get past the fact that it is pretty much a certainty that Dallas is going to extend Dak, paying him lots and lots of money to remain the starter. If that's the case, then it will also be impossible for Lance to take the starting job except in the case of injury or Dak getting off to such a bad start that no choice is left but to make a change.

If fans can push past that impossibility, I really don't think anyone would be upset if Lance played so good that he was clearly better than Dak, took his job and helped us reach the NFC title game. If they would get upset over that, they are Dak fans instead of Dallas fans.

I loved me some Romo and felt we should have gone back to him in 2016 when he was fully recovered, just because of the experience that he brought to the game over that of a rookie. However, I understood why the team stuck with Dak and would not have had any qualms with the decision if it had led to playoff success.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Wrong, he is more athletic than both. He just needs the experience.
We all know that. When he entered college camps listed as a QB, after the they changed him from QB to athlete. Most schools wanted to move him to the defensive side of the ball.

We don't need an athlete pretending to be a QB.

Once again he could not win the starting job in HS, until his senior year. He only had 55 completions. Was not recruited. Only played 1 year in college. Has not played in 5 years.

You would be better off bringing Kaepernick for crying out loud.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not believe Jerry would let them sit Dak. He has too many endorsements
Jerry's only "solo" move in many years was the Trey Lance trade...

Success for Lance is a huge goal for Jerry.

Dak was a scouting Dept. pick...

If Lance has success, he'll be very marketable.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry's only "solo" move in many years was the Trey Lance trade...

Success for Lance is a huge goal for Jerry.

Dak was a scouting Dept. pick...

If Lance has success, he'll be very marketable.
Lance will never step on the field for the Cowboys. Unless there is a catastrophe next season. Meaning Dak gets hurt.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Imagine how much better Lance would be if he actually played in HS, was recruited and started 30+ games in college.

Tell me how anyone trades 3 first round picks for someone who struggle to start in HS. Then when he did, did not play well. Was labeled only as an athlete at college camps. Took 3 years to get on the field in college and only played 1 year. Then sat a year before getting drafted.

Every player in the NFL needs to change their agent to Trey Lance's agent.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It’s not going to happen. It’s as simple as that and I gave you the reasons. The Cowboys are going to have no choice but to extend Dak to avoid a MAJOR cap hit. If they were to let him walk he’ll count $61M against the cap and around $58M if they allow him to play out the season without an extension, so they have to extend him. They’re not about to sit him when he’s likely to be making $50+M per season because Lance looked great in OTAs and preseason. If Lance were to look great and win the backup job and were to have to take over for Dak during the regular season due to injury and lights it up, they’ll likely end up trying to trade him. It would increase his trade value. The bottom line is I’ll be happy with any QB that can win us a SB. If Lance were to get the opportunity to play because of an injury to Dak and plays great, I’ll be fine riding with him as far as he can take us. I’m no Dak lover. I have no problem moving on from any QB if we find a better one.
No,

POST-6/1 RELEASE

2014 Dead Cap: $25,455,000
2025 Dead Cap: $36,460,000

2024 Cap Savings: $34,000,000

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If Trey Lance ends up being better than Dak I’ll be thrilled, because it means we have an elite top 3-5 QB in football who will likely be on a cheap second contract since the earliest we’d likely find this out is 2025 (and Dallas would have extended him already if they had any thought he might even be a quality backup). So we’d likely have elite QB play for relatively nothing for 2-3 years.

Now absolutely nothing about his film so far in the NFL or his practice reports from Dallas or SF leads me to believe that’s even remotely possible, but it would be fantastic if it were.

This only works one way, though. If Dak ever makes it to or wins a SB, the other side will NEVER admit they were wrong and many will be so angry over it they won’t be able to enjoy the success. Several of our most prominent posters would just disappear and never post again.
It is possible.

The kid is a phenom at QB.