Who would you prefer in the draft

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I've seen a few mock drafts with us taking an OL in round-1 (which I like!) but there is a difference of opinion on which one we would take and since I don't watch a lot of college football I thought I would ask the other posters what they think.

OT Levi Brown, Penn State. 6'5" 328 lbs

OT/OG Justin Blalock, Texas, 6'4" 329 lbs

Brown seems to be rated higher and figures to play LT in the NFL but Blalock is regarded as the more versatile and athletic of the two and can play either RT or OG.

My initial thinking was Blalock since we desperately need a replacement for Rivera at RG but I thought I'd open it up for comments.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
THUMPER;1369771 said:
I've seen a few mock drafts with us taking an OL in round-1 (which I like!) but there is a difference of opinion on which one we would take and since I don't watch a lot of college football I thought I would ask the other posters what they think.

Brown seems to be rated higher and figures to play LT in the NFL but Blalock is regarded as the more versatile and athletic of the two and can play either RT or OG.

My initial thinking was Blalock since we desperately need a replacement for Rivera at RG but I thought I'd open it up for comments.

Chances are Brown's going top 10 and Blalock'll last into the latter half of the second round unless he shows something incredible at the combine.

hendog

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Brown, at least not in rd 1.

I think I'd rather go with one of the OG's in rd 2 or 3.
Blalock
Grubbs
Beekman
Ramirez

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1369779 said:
Chances are Brown's going top 10 and Blalock'll last into the latter half of the second round unless he shows something incredible at the combine.

I did see one mock that had Blalock going late in the 2nd but most have him going to us at #22 or a little later in the 1st.

Most have Joe Thomas of Wisconsin as the top OL, going to the Cards at #5 usually.

I just don't want to pass up another chance at getting a solid OL in this draft. Parcells was terrible at judging OL talent.

BigDave95

Reaction score

You got that backwards. Blalock is projected by most to go early while Levi is slipping.

ETA:But there are a million sources and it's just too early to tell.

Personally, I'd rather have Blalock to replace Rivera.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
BigDave95;1369787 said:
You got that backwards. Blalock is projected by most to go early while Levi is slipping.

I've seen it both ways but most have Brown going higher than Blalock.

Not that these mocks have much validity of course.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1369789 said:
Personally, I want the BEST WR on our board.

If we can address the OG situation in FA then I am with you there.

NinePointOh

Reaction score

Even if he does show something incredible, there hasn't been a guard selected in the top half of round 1 in 10 years (Naeole) -- and only 1 more in the 10 years before that (Reuben Brown).

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
BigDave95;1369787 said:

ETA:But there are a million sources and it's just too early to tell.

Personally, I'd rather have Blalock to replace Rivera.

huh? Everyone I talk to say Brown cemented himself in the top 20 with his performance at the Senior Bowl. If he has a good showing at the Pro Day he's likely to go top 15.

blindzebra

Reaction score
We are far more likely to be looking at CB, WR or DE/OLB unless one of the top OTs drop.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
blindzebra;1369809 said:
We are far more likely to be looking at CB, WR or DE/OLB unless one of the top OTs drop.

Well if Brown is there at #22 would you take him?

dwmyers

Reaction score
THUMPER;1369822 said:
Well if Brown is there at #22 would you take him?

Tackle isn't an area of need for this team. Good guards can be had in round 2. If we take him, it'd be a BPA pick, as Brown is very highly rated.

So, what are our needs and how urgent are they? If they're not urgent and some other excellent player doesn't fall, sure he'd be a candidate. But if DT Amobi Okoye falls, I'd rather have the defensive player.

David.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
blindzebra;1369809 said:

Looking at Phillips track record it sure seems he likes to use his #1's on defense.

1993 with Denver Dan Williams DT
1994 with Denver No pick
1998 with Buffalo No Pick
1999 with Buffalo Antoine Winfield CB
2000 with Buffalo Erik Flowers DE

Anyone know what happened in 1994 and 1998. Is Phillips one of those trade happy coaches who likes to move around and out of Round 1?

It also seems he likes defnsive have drafts in Day 1

1993 with Denver used 2 of 4 picks on defense
1994 with Denver used used only pick of day 1 on defense
1998 with Buffalo used 1 of 2 picks on defense
1999 with Buffalo used 1 of the first 3 picks on defense
2000 with Buffalo used all 3 picks in day 1 on defense

8 of 13 picks on defense in day 1

He has not had a real great track record in the draft:

1993 with Denver: Round 1: Dan Williams DT, Round 2: Glyn Milburn WR, Round 3: Rondell Jones DB and Jason Elam K

1994 with Denver: Round 2: Allen Aldridge LB was his only pick in the 1st 4 rounds. What happened in Denver this year?

1998 with Buffalo: Round 2: Sam Cowart LB, Round 3: Robert Hicks OT

1999 with Buffalo: Round 1: Atoine Winfield CB, Round 2: Peerless Price WR, Round 3: Shawn Bryson RB, Round 4: Keith Newman OLB

2000 with Buffalo: Round 1: Erik Flowers DE, Round 2: Travares Tillman S, Round 3: Corey Moore OLB

YUCK! I could not even find any late round gems to mention. I sure jope Jeff Ireland has majority input over the draft

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think I would trade out of rd 1,, pick up an early 2nd and maybe a 4th or 5th,, not sure how the points would work,, Then I would go after Ben Grubbs from AU with my first pick. Then CB, then WR in the 3rd or 4th. Lets face it guys,, you pick someone in the 1st or 2nd round, you are expecting them to start,, so i don't see how a WR could do that. A rookie WR even in the 1st is not going to unseat TO or Glenn, so I wouldn't draft a WR until the middle rounds.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
dwmyers;1369852 said:
Tackle isn't an area of need for this team. Good guards can be had in round 2. If we take him, it'd be a BPA pick, as Brown is very highly rated.

So, what are our needs and how urgent are they? If they're not urgent and some other excellent player doesn't fall, sure he'd be a candidate. But if DT Amobi Okoye falls, I'd rather have the defensive player.

David.

Flozell is getting up in years and has trouble with the quicker DEs he faces. I would like to have a guy in place to step in if and when Adams goes out. I would also like to have someone in place if Columbo gets hurt or doesn't have a good season. I know that we have McQuistan but he is completely unproven.

I wouldn't want to reach for a player, ever, but if a top OT falls to us I wouldn't pass him up.

That said, I would still prefer to replace Rivera via FA and pick up an OL somewhere on day-1 for depth (any position).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
THUMPER;1369771 said:

Myself I like Justin Blalock and would love to add him to this OL.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I know it's just one source but Scott Wright's most recent mock has Brown going #9 overall and Blalock going #48.

Mike Mayock also projects Brown in the top ten.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
1st off, Blalock is going to be strictly a OG in the pros, he's not mobile enough to anchor outside, and 2nd, please, no Olinemen in the 1st, PLEASE!! we sign Kris Dielman and our Oline problems are solved IMO