Who would you prefer in the draft

Deputy493

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1369789 said:
Personally, I want the BEST WR on our board.

even if that WR has a 2nd round grade?

I personally want the BPA left on the board.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be mad if the Cowboys addressed the offensive line in the 1st round. I would take either Blaylock or Brown but I'd give the nod to Blaylock he plays with a mean streak....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1370649 said:
I wouldn't be mad if the Cowboys addressed the offensive line in the 1st round. I would take either Blaylock or Brown but I'd give the nod to Blaylock he plays with a mean streak....

Blalock has trouble playing in space, and I would rather not draft a guy who played the majority of his career at tackle only to move him to guard.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I'm thinking WR for some reason. Johnson and Ginn will be gone but Rice and Jarrett might still be on the board at 22.

Manster68

Reaction score
You know, I would not mind Dallas coughing up the 1st round pick for signing Shaun Phillips in San Diego.

He recorded 11.5 sacks for Wade's defense and he already knows his system, so there is no worry over a learning curve.

Oh yeah, he also turns 26 years old this year (born in 1981).

Put him on the other side of Ware, bring Carpenter in the middle with Akin Ayodele, let them play the Wade Phillips 3-4, and away we go!

Or am I a little too bizarre?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I prefer to let the people who've watched all these guys games, tested their athleticism, and talked to their coaches make the decision. I don't know a darn thing about either of them. The only players I know really well are Razorbacks.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
baj1dallas;1370762 said:
I prefer to let the people who've watched all these guys games, tested their athleticism, and talked to their coaches make the decision. I don't know a darn thing about either of them. The only players I know really well are Razorbacks.

Well, it still can be screwed up, even with all the game films, interviews, tests, and whatnot, or do you forget the 2001 draft when we took Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon with our top 2 picks? Or how about the 2000 draft when we took Dwayne Goodrich and Kareem Larrimore with our top 2 picks.

You have a lot more faith in Jerry and Co. than I do.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER;1370887 said:
Well, it still can be screwed up, even with all the game films, interviews, tests, and whatnot, or do you forget the 2001 draft when we took Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon with our top 2 picks? Or how about the 2000 draft when we took Dwayne Goodrich and Kareem Larrimore with our top 2 picks.

You have a lot more faith in Jerry and Co. than I do.
The addition of Ireland has produced much better drafts in recent history. Not perfect by any means but that is the nature of the beast.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Manster68;1370757 said:
You know, I would not mind Dallas coughing up the 1st round pick for signing Shaun Phillips in San Diego.

He recorded 11.5 sacks for Wade's defense and he already knows his system, so there is no worry over a learning curve.

Oh yeah, he also turns 26 years old this year (born in 1981).

Put him on the other side of Ware, bring Carpenter in the middle with Akin Ayodele, let them play the Wade Phillips 3-4, and away we go!

Or am I a little too bizarre?

San Diego will most likely place the 1st round tender on Phillips, which would require a 1st and 3rd as comp

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1369910 said:
Myself I like Justin Blalock and would love to add him to this OL.

Yeah, I kinda laughed at the criticism he got at the Senior Bowl, found it rather asinine... for openers, they got all bent out of shape because they didn't like how he looked in his freakin' underwear, as if the key to success in the NFL is having a bodybuilder's physique... then, he came in for criticism because he didn't dominate at TACKLE, when his pro position will be GUARD...

Bottom line, for the last 4 years Blalock has been the best offensive lineman on arguably the best offensive line in college football... I hope to God he DOES slip to the second round, and would be quite thrilled if the Boys called his name there... I wouldn't be surprised if there were Pro Bowls in his future, but at the very least he's gonna be a solid starter for somebody for 10 years or so...

This kind of thing happens every year, each and every Horns top draft prospect gets the same kind of asinine critiquing... last year, we were all told how Vince Young could never, ever make it in the NFL, and we've all seen how that worked out, haven't we??

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1369789 said:
Personally, I want the BEST WR on our board.

i dont think we want to trade up to get calvin johnson CC

silverbear

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1370466 said:
Kris Dielman >>>>Justin Blalock

I believe I'll have to see Justin play a coupla years in the NFL before I'll pass that judgement, thank you very much...

Kris didn't have NEAR the rep coming out of college that Blalock has today... indeed, he didn't start a single game in his first 2 seasons with the Chargers...

He was also undrafted coming into the league...

Reaction score
THUMPER;1369771 said:
I've seen a few mock drafts with us taking an OL in round-1 (which I like!) but there is a difference of opinion on which one we would take and since I don't watch a lot of college football I thought I would ask the other posters what they think.

OT Levi Brown, Penn State. 6'5" 328 lbs

OT/OG Justin Blalock, Texas, 6'4" 329 lbs

Brown seems to be rated higher and figures to play LT in the NFL but Blalock is regarded as the more versatile and athletic of the two and can play either RT or OG.

My initial thinking was Blalock since we desperately need a replacement for Rivera at RG but I thought I'd open it up for comments.

Neither...

Give me Nelson, Landry, or Spencer

Or Jarret/Ginn if they are there and top 3 are gone

silverbear

Reaction score
neosapien23;1370620 said:
Dielman will not be a Cowboy. No way in hell do the Chargers let a young proven Olineman leave. If they do they are ********. If the Cowboys do get Dielman then reciever is definitely the way to go.

They may not have a choice in the matter, according to an article about Donnie Edwards (Chargers linebacker who will be looking for a job this offseason), that said:

Dire situation?
The most pressing free-agent issue remains left guard Kris Dielman. The team has not spoken with Dielman's agent in more than two weeks, and it has been even longer since meaningful dialogue was shared.
Teammates have expressed pessimism regarding the possibility of Dielman staying and have said his loss would be greatly felt.

The market for Dielman will be fierce. Dallas, Miami, Seattle and Cleveland, among others, are expected to bid for his services.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81231

silverbear

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1370653 said:
Blalock has trouble playing in space, and I would rather not draft a guy who played the majority of his career at tackle only to move him to guard.

Have you ever seen a Longhorns player that you WOULD draft?? Be honest...

Clearly, you have a severe case of Aggie-itis, which has left you unable to think critically...

Especially when looking at anything burnt orange... :D

MiStar

Reaction score
Even Though I really like Carpenter and Hatcher, Anthony Spencer and Adam Carriker are tops on my list. Both are really underrated. I was super impressed by Carriker at the senior bowl and Spencer fits the Phillips system to a tee.

Phillips system requires guys with speed and quickness who can stunt and come at you from all angles, and slip by offensive linemen. Spencer and Carriker are the marquee players at those positions when if comes to those attributes.

We obviously need offensive linemen much more, but these are two studs that I would be loathe to pass up, we can still replace Rivera in the second or third round.

silverbear

Reaction score
MiStar;1371029 said:
Even Though I really like Carpenter and Hatcher, Anthony Spencer and Adam Carriker are tops on my list. Both are really underrated. I was super impressed by Carriker at the senior bowl and Spencer fits the Phillips system to a tee.

Phillips system requires guys with speed and quickness who can stunt and come at you from all angles, and slip by offensive linemen. Spencer and Carriker are the marquee players at those positions when if comes to those attributes.

We obviously need offensive linemen much more, but these are two studs that I would be loathe to pass up, we can still replace Rivera in the second or third round.

Good call, Mistar... to me, Carriker is what Jason Hatcher was this time last year, i.e., the best pure 3-4 DE out there... and Spencer looks like he has the potential to be lethal as a pass-rushing OLB (though there are other prospects out there who would look good in that role too)....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1371019 said:
I believe I'll have to see Justin play a coupla years in the NFL before I'll pass that judgement, thank you very much...

Kris didn't have NEAR the rep coming out of college that Blalock has today... indeed, he didn't start a single game in his first 2 seasons with the Chargers...

He was also undrafted coming into the league...

meh, Blalock could flop for all we know, while Dielman is a proven, and very good, commodity, and is only 26

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1371046 said:
meh, Blalock could flop for all we know, while Dielman is a proven, and very good, commodity, and is only 26

that is about the time when linemen start to set into their prime too