Who would you prefer in the draft

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
Arronn ross. move henry 2 FS. 3 outa 4 in secondary thorpe winners.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
THUMPER;1369771 said:
I've seen a few mock drafts with us taking an OL in round-1 (which I like!) but there is a difference of opinion on which one we would take and since I don't watch a lot of college football I thought I would ask the other posters what they think.

OT Levi Brown, Penn State. 6'5" 328 lbs

OT/OG Justin Blalock, Texas, 6'4" 329 lbs

Brown seems to be rated higher and figures to play LT in the NFL but Blalock is regarded as the more versatile and athletic of the two and can play either RT or OG.

My initial thinking was Blalock since we desperately need a replacement for Rivera at RG but I thought I'd open it up for comments.

News bulletin: Jerra is in control.
Now, conventional wisdom would be O lineman/CB in the draft.
But with Jerra at the helm, his yes man Wade will go for a marquee type WR.
And Jerra will probably lean on WP to size up lots of FAs for the OL, thus not draining the draft with unglamorous picks like O line.
Don't shoot. I am just the messenger. Yeah, Jerra will go for a WR.

Jarrett Hicks, Texas Tech. Yeah Raiders!!!!:D

MiStar

Reaction score
Guys like Hatcher and Carriker are at a premium in one-gap 3-4 defenses that favor zone blitzes. Not only do these guys have the requisite size and strength to defend the run in the 3-4, but they have the speed and agility to either stunt effectively, or drop back into coverage.

Spears and Canty are better run stoppers, but I don't see either one stunting or dropping back into coverage very effectively.

On a side note, I don't think Ellis will see much PT this year since Phillips' 3-4 generates pressure by creating confussion and matchup problems for the offensive line using a variety of blitz packages, many of which ivolve overloading one side of the line. When you overload one side, the other linebackers, have a LOT of ground to cover. Ellis' coverage problems were masked by the fact that he rarely to cover more than the flat.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1371046 said:
meh, Blalock could flop for all we know, while Dielman is a proven, and very good, commodity, and is only 26

My point being that coming out of college, as Blalock is now, Dielman was an extremely lightly regarded prospect... now, he did develop into a good (not great) offensive lineman, but I have every confidence that by the time Blalock has 4 years in the league, he will have started a heck of a lot more games than Dielman did at that same point of his career, and will be regarded at least as highly as Dielman is now...

In fact, if either of the two was to ever make the Pro Bowl, my money would be on Blalock...

silverbear

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1371102 said:
News bulletin: Jerra is in control.
Now, conventional wisdom would be O lineman/CB in the draft.
But with Jerra at the helm, his yes man Wade will go for a marquee type WR.

Because Jerry is SOOOO famous for drafting WRs in the first round, right?? I mean, he does it all the frickin' time... which is why the Cowboys have all those first round draft picks at WR taking up roster space...

Jarrett Hicks, Texas Tech. Yeah Raiders!!!!:D

Oh, I'm sorry, I was taking you seriously there for a minute...

My bad...

silverbear

Reaction score
MiStar;1371103 said:
On a side note, I don't think Ellis will see much PT this year since Phillips' 3-4 generates pressure by creating confussion and matchup problems for the offensive line using a variety of blitz packages, many of which ivolve overloading one side of the line. When you overload one side, the other linebackers, have a LOT of ground to cover. Ellis' coverage problems were masked by the fact that he rarely to cover more than the flat.

I think if Greg can get back from that awful injury, he'll have a role, albeit a limited role, in this defense-- as a designated pass rusher... I also think he'll do fairly well in that role...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1371129 said:
My point being that coming out of college, as Blalock is now, Dielman was an extremely lightly regarded prospect... now, he did develop into a good (not great) offensive lineman, but I have every confidence that by the time Blalock has 4 years in the league, he will have started a heck of a lot more games than Dielman did at that same point of his career, and will be regarded at least as highly as Dielman is now...

In fact, if either of the two was to ever make the Pro Bowl, my money would be on Blalock...

Blalock has just as much a chance of being out of the league in 4 years, or being buried on someone's bench

silverbear

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1371975 said:
Blalock has just as much a chance of being out of the league in 4 years, or being buried on someone's bench

He has a good deal less of a chance of that than Dielman did coming into the league 4 years ago... which is why I found your "Dielman >>> Blalock" argument pretty silly...

Comparing a proven veteran to an unproven rookie to be doesn't make a lot of sense, does it??

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
silverbear;1371131 said:
Because Jerry is SOOOO famous for drafting WRs in the first round, right?? I mean, he does it all the frickin' time... which is why the Cowboys have all those first round draft picks at WR taking up roster space...

Oh, I'm sorry, I was taking you seriously there for a minute...

My bad...

. . . man you is in a bad moods. No full moon tonight. Must be a cycle issue.
Good luck.

:)

silverbear

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1372867 said:
. . . man you is in a bad moods. No full moon tonight. Must be a cycle issue.
Good luck.

:)

Actually, that bit was all tongue in cheek... I'm really in the kind of good mood that happens only in the days after you get over being really, really sick...

Then I got a Valentine's e-card from my second ex-fiancee today, a girl I hadn't heard from in quite a while... that brought on a round of nostalgia, putting me in an even better mood; even though that didn't work out, I still remember that girl with great fondness... wouldn't have missed that ride for the world...