Whoever they hire at DC, they must not make major changes to the scheme

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Whomever they decide to hire as the new DC, they must:

-do not make major changes to the scheme. If they fire MM, that would be the time to do that with another staff. Try to keep some of the staff, to have an easy transition.

-must make it a priority to fix the run game and have a better plan on defending all the motions and shifts this group has struggled badly with.

-have a creative plan how to employ Parsons within the defense.

Gambit

Reaction score

-do not make major changes to the scheme. If they fire MM, that would be the time to do that with another staff. Try to keep some of the staff, to have an easy transition.

-must make it a priority to fix the run game and have a better plan on defending all the motions and shifts this group has struggled badly with.

All the more reason Joe Whitt Jr is the right hire

blueblood70

Reaction score

I disagree I think a lot of players that we've already discussed on other threads plus others it's gonna be a pretty big turnover anyway so why not when you're replacing all these players you bring in the ones that fit whatever vision this new defensive coordinator has it's pretty easy to go to the draft and free agency and just get three or four new pieces that actually can join together what we have left here and the new faces to a new scheme it doesn't have to be some crazy scheme I mean I think the all these players have ran some form of traditional defensive scheme before they have all offseason to implement it... I mean if we're gonna do that then why don't you just move up al Harris or somebody that was on this staff hell even durden if you don't want things to change then we're on opposite ends of thinking all in and trying to make a splash as a defensive coordinator to try to make this team better would not be status quo

blueblood70

Reaction score
All the more reason Joe Whitt Jr is the right hire
he is no longer available nor was he gonna be convinced to stay here therefore he's gone and you just can't let it go I've never seen somebody that won't let it go he is not the right hire he's no longer available...

And in my opinion staying status quo trying to keep things the same is not the right way to go it does not take players that long to retool a scheme when you have all offseason to implement it this isn't the middle of a season this is a bunch of professional players who have saw some form of defense that can fit three or four different schemes from high school through college and if they've been on other teams... If they can adapt and they'll really long offseason in preseason then maybe they're not smart enough to be in the NFL....

Like many have said for offenses it's not that many schemes or forms of schemes that are ran in the NFL so whatever your philosophy is gonna be you fill in those players in free agency and the draft because there's a big list of people that are gonna not be on this team anyway because of natural turnover so you replaced them with people that fit the NEW scheme better....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best way to do that is to promote from within. I don't think they have anyone ready to step in to the DC role.
Also I think some changes are needed to the defense. The problem there is, will a new DC come in thinking it may only be a 1 year gig.
And how much flexibility will he have to change things to his ways.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Somewhere my buddy @kskboys is smiling right now like "great job cooglesby!"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’d be shocked if Zimmer isn’t the guy.

Other than some consulting stuff his career is probably over unless Jerry hires him….and he is probably the favorite to be the head coach in 2025 as of now.

Think about that for a moment.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The best way to do that is to promote from within. I don't think they have anyone ready to step in to the DC role.
Also I think some changes are needed to the defense. The problem there is, will a new DC come in thinking it may only be a 1 year gig.
And how much flexibility will he have to change things to his ways.
exactly what the issue is!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I’d be shocked if Zimmer isn’t the guy.

Other than some consulting stuff his career is probably over unless Jerry hires him….and he is probably the favorite to be the head coach in 2025 as of now.

Think about that for a moment.
why would we want zimmer as the head man, that makes no sense to me, not the SPLASH big name that someone is thinking of

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
he is no longer available nor was he gonna be convinced to stay here therefore he's gone and you just can't let it go I've never seen somebody that won't let it go he is not the right hire he's no longer available...

And in my opinion staying status quo trying to keep things the same is not the right way to go it does not take players that long to retool a scheme when you have all offseason to implement it this isn't the middle of a season this is a bunch of professional players who have saw some form of defense that can fit three or four different schemes from high school through college and if they've been on other teams... If they can adapt and they'll really long offseason in preseason then maybe they're not smart enough to be in the NFL....

Like many have said for offenses it's not that many schemes or forms of schemes that are ran in the NFL so whatever your philosophy is gonna be you fill in those players in free agency and the draft because there's a big list of people that are gonna not be on this team anyway because of natural turnover so you replaced them with people that fit the NEW scheme better....
Noooooooooooooooooo way, big issues with this ( I see what you're saying), these guys seem to have a learning curve issue with new schemes. We will hit a stump where it's bad for us, and they'll come out and say "the coaches have simplified things for the players!"

The next issue you mentioned is that "it doesn't take players that long!" It does take that long, if it's taking Mazi smith all off season and during the season to get quicker on his 1st step, then what else can you teach him?? HOw much time do you need an eternity???

Gambit

Reaction score
he is no longer available
Yes he is, in fact he's interviewing for the DC of the Dallas Cowboys on Monday. Please stop spreading false information.

I've never seen somebody that won't let it go he is not the right hire he's no longer available...
I've never seen anyone speak so authoritatively about something they are clueless on

And in my opinion
Which means nothing. You think Whitt Jr is to blame for an insides kick gone awry.

There is a lot to say for continuity especially if you're name is Mike MCarthy and are a proof it year, you most likely don't want to completely overhaul your entire defense in that year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes he is, in fact he's interviewing for the DC of the Dallas Cowboys on Monday. Please stop spreading false information.

I've never seen anyone speak so authoritatively about something they are clueless on

Which means nothing. You think Whitt Jr is to blame for an insides kick gone awry.

There is a lot to say for continuity especially if you're name is Mike MCarthy and are a proof it year, you most likely don't want to completely overhaul your entire defense in that year.

You mean the same place you're getting your information from unless you have a red phone that goes straight to Jerry all this is rumor just like vrabel I've seen in red in two places that vrabel is gonna be applying for the job as well but there is no proof of it... So stop using false information to invalidate my information I got from the same place from what I heard he's all about hired over there in Washington... So again I I find it ironic that you get your information from social media same place I get mine so nobody knows who's right unless you have a Direct Line to Jerry do you have a recorded phone call yeah do you have a text do you have any emails you know since you're so hooked into the star you know which one of these are real and which ones are not???

Again the last thing I read it's almost a done deal that al Harris and Whitt both go to Washington..

fivetwos

Reaction score
why would we want zimmer as the head man, that makes no sense to me, not the SPLASH big name that someone is thinking of
I’m not saying I WANT him, but they are in a difficult spot. It’s more about what they are likely to do, not what fans want.

Zimmer checks all the boxes for Jerry. DC for 24, and backup plan if he has to fire MM mid season, and most importantly a coach who doesn’t mind Jerry constantly running his mouth and undermining.

I’m sure Zimmer doesn’t prefer it, but he is going to want that last paycheck, because again, no other team would go in the Zimmer direction in 2024. It’s ideal for what Jerry wants.

Mr_437

Reaction score
*Dallas has the players upfront to play in any scheme.

*Any DC worth a crap can employ Micah, rush him off the Edge or blitz him up the middle, just let him go down hill always.

*Communication is at a premium for a guy implementing a new system and motion is about player communication, so the guys have to be smart.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I disagree I think a lot of players that we've already discussed on other threads plus others it's gonna be a pretty big turnover anyway so why not when you're replacing all these players you bring in the ones that fit whatever vision this new defensive coordinator has it's pretty easy to go to the draft and free agency and just get three or four new pieces that actually can join together what we have left here and the new faces to a new scheme it doesn't have to be some crazy scheme I mean I think the all these players have ran some form of traditional defensive scheme before they have all offseason to implement it... I mean if we're gonna do that then why don't you just move up al Harris or somebody that was on this staff hell even durden if you don't want things to change then we're on opposite ends of thinking all in and trying to make a splash as a defensive coordinator to try to make this team better would not be status quo
I don’t see a major changeover in personnel at least not next season. Sure maybe a depth piece or two, but not 4 new starters outside this organization by any means.

Also, Joe Whitt is still is play, has yet decided to leave. With management looking outside, that probably tells us that want someone else

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You mean playing 6 DB's LOL! Yeah, let's keep doing that.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I’m not saying I WANT him, but they are in a difficult spot. It’s more about what they are likely to do, not what fans want.

Zimmer checks all the boxes for Jerry. DC for 24, and backup plan if he has to fire MM mid season, and most importantly a coach who doesn’t mind Jerry constantly running his mouth and undermining.

I’m sure Zimmer doesn’t prefer it, but he is going to want that last paycheck, because again, no other team would go in the Zimmer direction in 2024. It’s ideal for what Jerry wants.
makes clear sense this way