Whoever they hire at DC, they must not make major changes to the scheme

Cowboyny

Reaction score
at minimum four I can see 8 when that threat we were just talking about the people we could lose and free agency from our own team some of it may be role players you call it starters but there's probably gonna be 8 new faces on defense just organically.... We're talking about free agency and the draft but there's got to be guys we need to bring in to replace the ones we lose... We were just talking about this on the other page so it may not be 4 new starters but there's only 11 guys on defense but I think there's gonna be probably 8 new faces at minimum on that side of the ball you might as well make that like we did for Dan Quinn whoever becomes a defensive coordinator gets to bring some of his old guys back and draft players he thinks fit.. I mean on the whole team there's probably gonna be about a 30% turnover in players that's almost every year you do realize there's 53 players right and a lot of these role players like on defense they rotate in and out especially the defensive line and linebackers coming in and out there's more than just 11 players you're focusing on starters I'm talking about bringing in guys that will help install and teach whatever new defense might be coming in..

I prefer not to have much of the old defense come back as far as philosophy goes the nickel the dime the undersized linebackers hard to stop the run blah blah blah you can blame it on lack of talent around here but I don't you're making excuses for Dan Quinn who called nickel and dime far too often was at a position his players did not seem to be set up in a scheme to stop the run like all game in Buffalo when we heard Josh Allen come out after the game who by the way only had like 90 yards passing say that that was not the game plan but when they noticed Dan Quinn looked like he was unwilling to come out of his defense they ran the ball game and Dan Quinn decided to let them..

So, I don't know what al Harris and Joe Witt would do without their mentor here but I promise you this if it's bringing any of that back where they can't hold a lead they need a big lead they give up too many points on the first drives both in the game and out of halftime I'm really over all that...
You aren’t gutting the entire defense in 1 offseason, that’s not going to happen this yr or never for that matter. Realistic starters that could change are Lve, Lewis. Could change over some depth, but that’s it

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Zimmer didn't use Kearse much in Minnesota, so I assume he won't use any of the other hybrid safeties that much either.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Whomever they decide to hire as the new DC, they must:

-do not make major changes to the scheme. If they fire MM, that would be the time to do that with another staff. Try to keep some of the staff, to have an easy transition.

-must make it a priority to fix the run game and have a better plan on defending all the motions and shifts this group has struggled badly with.

-have a creative plan how to employ Parsons within the defense.
They better move Micah Parson back to MLB or WLB in a 4/3 or OLB in a 3/4, get defensive tackles that stop the run the rush the pass, get a free safety that can cover and seal the top of the defense, and LBs with size to stop the run, and speed to play the pass.

There better be changes to personnel and scheme or you will be at home again when playoff teams are contending for Super Bowls.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Micah at MLB in any defense is a bad idea. He is too good off the edge.
Go tell the 2018 Freshman All American OLB, 2019 Consensus All American,and Cotton Bowl MVP MLB from Penn St. that was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys as a LB in 2021 with the 12th pick that playing him at MLB isa bad idea.

He was a 6-3-245 hell raiser at OLB/MLB as college player and Pro player until the DEs got hurt before the Charges game his rookie year. Keeping him permanently at DE allow the Cowboys to get lazy building a DL that could stop the run to rush the pass. It will eventually (DE in a 4/3) where Parsons out like it did Ware.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

-do not make major changes to the scheme. If they fire MM, that would be the time to do that with another staff. Try to keep some of the staff, to have an easy transition.

-must make it a priority to fix the run game and have a better plan on defending all the motions and shifts this group has struggled badly with.

Whoever they hire needs to put at least 30 pounds back on Mazi Smith

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DCs and OCs are going to install the system they believe in and have tweaked enough to call their own.
Zimmer is a total disciplinarian who will not tolerate free lancing.
Guys will either buy in, or they'll want out .
It will be interesting, and MM? Don't get comfortable in your office.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

:huh:If you are going to improve the riun defense you need to make changes to the scheme. It’s obvious the Cowboys will change their defense because they let Witt go. You better change the scheme because you are playing Washington twice and no team will know our defense better.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DCs and OCs are going to install the system they believe in and have tweaked enough to call their own.
No they're going to keep half of what the guys had here last season just like our offense

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
:huh:If you are going to improve the riun defense you need to make changes to the scheme. It’s obvious the Cowboys will change their defense because they let Witt go. You better change the scheme because you are playing Washington twice and no team will know our defense better.
No we're back to only change 30 percent that's what we do, DC will praise all the good things we've been doing lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We hope

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Go tell the 2018 Freshman All American OLB, 2019 Consensus All American,and Cotton Bowl MVP MLB from Penn St. that was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys as a LB in 2021 with the 12th pick that playing him at MLB isa bad idea.

He was a 6-3-245 hell raiser at OLB/MLB as college player and Pro player until the DEs got hurt before the Charges game his rookie year. Keeping him permanently at DE allow the Cowboys to get lazy building a DL that could stop the run to rush the pass. It will eventually (DE in a 4/3) where Parsons out like it did Ware.
Perfect post

kskboys

Reaction score
They better move Micah Parson back to MLB or WLB in a 4/3 or OLB in a 3/4, get defensive tackles that stop the run the rush the pass, get a free safety that can cover and seal the top of the defense, and LBs with size to stop the run, and speed to play the pass.

There better be changes to personnel and scheme or you will be at home again when playoff teams are contending for Super Bowls.
Well said.

kskboys

Reaction score

I mean, seriously.

His 14 sacks are just not worth the tradeoff of being weak against the run.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Unfortunately the only way to accomplish your 3rd point is to change the scheme.

32BellyOption

Reaction score

I agree and thus the reason I felt promoting Whitt was the most logical thing to do. Keep continuity, add LBers, maybe more beef on the line and figure out the best way to use Micah. But ole Jerry thinks making a splash hire is some old retread that will get him in the news SB week. This crap is so old.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No they're going to keep half of what the guys had here last season just like our offense
No matter what system you may use, there are many similarities. You are either aggressive, passive, or a balance of both
It all starts up front and we need some retooling on both sides of the ball. Again, to me, we are in a transition period whether we like it or not.