Whoever they hire at DC, they must not make major changes to the scheme

fivetwos

Reaction score
That sounds defeatus, that's like automatically admitting defeat and instantly giving up to the 2024 season team, before it starts,
We're not even gonna give our team, the best fighting chance ?

and we never know what the next coordinator can help make the difference that the last coach/coordinator could Not do.

Also Quinn is gone .. Witt Jr. is gone, so who is left to be new DC to keep this scheme ? Harris ? Adure (sp)
It does, fully agree, but I don’t want Jerry signing someone to a three year deal then forcing them on the next HC.

They are in a tough spot with this, and of course, Jerry doesn’t think so.

Sounds like this decision is all Jerry, and quite honestly he never gets it right, and forcing coordinators on head coaches is something he has done every time and it’s been a problem in every example.

At this point I don’t care who it is…as long as it’s a one year deal because the next off-season has house cleaning (except of course for the major problem) written all over it. As doubtful as it sounds, just maybe they get it right next time.

In the end it doesn’t really matter which coach they hire or which players they acquire, the culture is too much to overcome.

Show business and brand first. I still can’t believe those two get continue to get behind a mic and act as if they are the class of the league. It passed the point of ridiculous a while ago.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Whomever they decide to hire as the new DC, they must:

-do not make major changes to the scheme. If they fire MM, that would be the time to do that with another staff. Try to keep some of the staff, to have an easy transition.

-must make it a priority to fix the run game and have a better plan on defending all the motions and shifts this group has struggled badly with.

-have a creative plan how to employ Parsons within the defense.
AA Gap defense not the same as that 4-2-5

I think we've seen the last of that 4-2-5.

Gambit

Reaction score
I don't believe it was ever a possibility,how is hiring a rookie DC going all in? This is mm do or die year and he was not gonna do it depending on a guy that's never done it,that make no sense imo.
Who told you anything about going all in?

RonWashington

Reaction score
interview Aden Durde the current DL coach . With MM on a one yr ticket it makes sense stay internal. And for goodness sakes find a starting LB early in the draft not a medical rehab project . Over the past few yrs the DL coach hasn’t embarrassed himself . Need to play the run better obviously . ( need help )

RonWashington

Reaction score
I have no illusions about 2024 . A coach on his last yr who hasn’t exactly burned through the playoffs questions at multiple spots . Go internal roll the dice .

Gambit

Reaction score
Jj himself, there's a post about it somewhere here.
Are you talking about going all in or swinging for the fences

He did say all in but never really said what he meant by that. And I believe he said that before Quinn was hired, I may be mistaken there.

Edit: Yes. On 1/30)2024 Jerry said we'd be all in as it relates to FA and Draft.

Quinn was still a Cowboy until Feb 3rd.

It's reasonable then, to assume the all in comment was not about who he'd hire for a yet to be open position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That sounds defeatus, that's like automatically admitting defeat and instantly giving up to the 2024 season team, before it starts,
We're not even gonna give our team, the best fighting chance ?

and we never know what the next coordinator can help make the difference that the last coach/coordinator could Not do.

Also Quinn is gone .. Witt Jr. is gone, so who is left to be new DC to keep this scheme ? Harris ? Adure (sp)
With Whitt gone, probably have no choice but to go into a different direction. Will this DC be forced upon a new HC in another season, that is to be determined. Who knows MM could survive.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Jerry is bringing in a ex coach. He does not appear to be a fan of these young coaches gaining power. I think the Garrett and Moore experience has soured the Joneses on young alleged whiz kids.
I agree. Maybe we get lucky and land Vrabel, who is a part of both.

bigE79

Reaction score
Are you talking about going all in or swinging for the fences

He did say all in but never really said what he meant by that. And I believe he said that before Quinn was hired, I may be mistaken there.

Edit: Yes. On 1/30)2024 Jerry said we'd be all in as it relates to FA and Draft.

Quinn was still a Cowboy until Feb 3rd.

It's reasonable then, to assume the all in comment was not about who he'd hire for a yet to be open position.
The swinging for the fences comment was definitely about the DC job.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much reverted back to a 4-3 alignment.
The modern 3-4 is an easier transition to/from 4-3 than the old school 3-4.

Modern: Wade Phillips concepts

Old School: Parcells concepts

Everybody plays primarily Nickel vs 3 WR sets.

The 3-4 is designed to be good vs the run.
- The 11th player is an NT instead of a 4-3 LB.

Quinn didn't use a 4-3.
- The 11th player was either a 3rd Safety or the Nickel CB.

Gambit

Reaction score
Marquand Manuel Jets DB coach is to interview, he was DB coach under Quinn for legion of Boom and DC under Quinn in Atlanta.

Likely see a lot of same concepts. He has been under Robert Selah for 2 years now.

shabazz

Reaction score
I just pray to God that we can keep this great defensive unit together. It's always scary knowing that the league can't wait to poach so many great players on defense.

An embarrassment of riches really

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It does, fully agree, but I don’t want Jerry signing someone to a three year deal then forcing them on the next HC.

They are in a tough spot with this, and of course, Jerry doesn’t think so.

Sounds like this decision is all Jerry, and quite honestly he never gets it right, and forcing coordinators on head coaches is something he has done every time and it’s been a problem in every example.

At this point I don’t care who it is…as long as it’s a one year deal because the next off-season has house cleaning (except of course for the major problem) written all over it. As doubtful as it sounds, just maybe they get it right next time.

In the end it doesn’t really matter which coach they hire or which players they acquire, the culture is too much to overcome.

Show business and brand first. I still can’t believe those two get continue to get behind a mic and act as if they are the class of the league. It passed the point of ridiculous a while ago.
So you’ve already given up on 2024. Not surprised.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I just pray to God that we can keep this great defensive unit together. It's always scary knowing that the league can't wait to poach so many great players on defense.

An embarrassment of riches really
Just be quiet and wipe your nose.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The modern 3-4 is an easier transition to/from 4-3 than the old school 3-4.

Modern: Wade Phillips concepts

Old School: Parcells concepts

Everybody plays primarily Nickel vs 3 WR sets.

The 3-4 is designed to be good vs the run.
- The 11th player is an NT instead of a 4-3 LB.

Quinn didn't use a 4-3.
- The 11th player was either a 3rd Safety or the Nickel CB.
Yes, many think the 3-4 alignment is better against the pass, but it was actually designed to stop the run.

If I remember, Wade’s system was more of a 1 gap 3-4, where Parcells was the read and react two gap system.