Whoever they hire at DC, they must not make major changes to the scheme

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They better move Micah Parson back to MLB or WLB in a 4/3 or OLB in a 3/4, get defensive tackles that stop the run the rush the pass, get a free safety that can cover and seal the top of the defense, and LBs with size to stop the run, and speed to play the pass.

There better be changes to personnel and scheme or you will be at home again when playoff teams are contending for Super Bowls.
As several have brought up, moving more to a traditional 3 linebacker set, will help their run game right away.

Cmac

Reaction score
Another poster made a good point, move Parsons to strong-side linebacker against the run kind of like how the Vikings used Barr. Add a legitimate Mike Linebacker and perhaps add more size inside.
......only problem with that......a QB can audible as they see Parsons move. Then what? We need dawgs at LB.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Changes might be hard mostly due to the limited personnel they have. The DL is too small to do anything too different and I don't think it can be fixed in 1 offseason but maybe.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
My point is, if MM is still here, hire within and don't force a DC on a new hire next season. Fully understand the scheme has to be adjusted, but try to make the transition as easy as possible this season.
Jerry is bringing in a ex coach. He does not appear to be a fan of these young coaches gaining power. I think the Garrett and Moore experience has soured the Joneses on young alleged whiz kids.

quickccc

Reaction score
My point was, if MM is around for another season, don't make drastic changes just yet. Do that when a new staff is hired. No doubt some changes have to be made.

Out of the DC's being discussed, actually like Zimmer's fit the best:

-He has worked for the Jones Family before.
-Had good success as the DC with Cincy
-Helped put together strong defensive personnel with the Vikings, might even bring back George Edwards.
-His defenses have always been good against the run and put a big emphasis on good press corners, which we have.
That sounds defeatus, that's like automatically admitting defeat and instantly giving up to the 2024 season team, before it starts,
We're not even gonna give our team, the best fighting chance ?

and we never know what the next coordinator can help make the difference that the last coach/coordinator could Not do.

Also Quinn is gone .. Witt Jr. is gone, so who is left to be new DC to keep this scheme ? Harris ? Adure (sp)

Last edited:

bigE79

Reaction score
Well now that he has been hired in Washington no, but before that it certainly was a possibility
I don't believe it was ever a possibility,how is hiring a rookie DC going all in? This is mm do or die year and he was not gonna do it depending on a guy that's never done it,that make no sense imo.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I think there are some changes that should probably be made. Did you watch the playoff game? The only schemes that ever work are ones that have good players and they adapt as required to make the best use of those good players. Defense is in desperate need of a good purge. Bring in some new young talent and put them in positions to succeed. I know it sounds stupid because it is so simple but it really is that simple. Sad thing is we will never do it. We will run it back.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Whomever they decide to hire as the new DC, they must:

-do not make major changes to the scheme. If they fire MM, that would be the time to do that with another staff. Try to keep some of the staff, to have an easy transition.

-must make it a priority to fix the run game and have a better plan on defending all the motions and shifts this group has struggled badly with.

-have a creative plan how to employ Parsons within the defense.
Good topic. It seems that Quinn likes light in the butt DT's and smallish Linebackers. That philosophy has to change IMO. It is not working against good teams. Either running ones or passing teams. To improve this defense, I agree they must have a creative plan for Parsons, but the run defense has to be the #1 priority. I believe the sceme has to change. You can't have DB's playing 10 yards off a guy on a 3rd and 4.

FoxF

Reaction score
A review of our games on 2023 suggest our defense only played well against bad teams.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The NY Giants also looking for a DC . It’s been a month since Martindale went crying into the night how long does this take to replace .

:facepalm:

RonWashington

Reaction score
A review of our games on 2023 suggest our defense only played well against bad teams.

I’ve said on this board over and over the NFCE is a box of rotten tomatoes plus the Cowboys beat the stuffing out of the Patriots & Jets . Not exactly as tough a schedule as the SEC teams face . :huh:

fivetwos

Reaction score
My point was, if MM is around for another season, don't make drastic changes just yet. Do that when a new staff is hired. No doubt some changes have to be made.

Out of the DC's being discussed, actually like Zimmer's fit the best:

-He has worked for the Jones Family before.
-Had good success as the DC with Cincy
-Helped put together strong defensive personnel with the Vikings, might even bring back George Edwards.
-His defenses have always been good against the run and put a big emphasis on good press corners, which we have.
Fully agree on the major changes.

Not that they aren’t necessary, but there’s a really good shot you’re looking at a third different scheme in three years, and a fourth in seven years, going into next year.

That’s not at all the perfect solution, but a large part of the reality of the situation. They are yet again looking at someone trying to run their own scheme with someone else’s personnel.

Meh…they had their window to win but decided to keep cap space for the seasons we are about to endure. We can about already conclude was the wrong approach, but hey, at least we will only have cap problems instead of big cap problems. Nice work Steve.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just let McCarthy hire one of his random assistants...there will be an all new coaching staff in 2025 anyway. I wouldn't waste too much time and effort on this DC search for a 1 year rental

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Whoever gets hired is going to run the scheme they know.

Why would they take a job and run something that they are unfamiliar with?

Unless Jones chooses a coordinator with similar principles to DQ.