Who's packing heat?

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Several months ago, I bought a groupon for a CHL (concealed handgun License) class. The expiration date was quickly approaching, so I figured I better use it before it expired. In the weeks before the class started, I kept asking myself "Do I really need this"....."Am I just being paranoid"?

I took the class anyway last weekend, and I'm glad I did. It was very informative in terms of the rules and regulations regarding carrying a gun.

I was amazed at the type of people who were in the class. School teachers, realtors, business people....out of 40 students, I would say about 25% of them were female.

It got me wondering who else on this board has a CHL, and if so, how often do you really carry it?

rkell87

Reaction score
I want one but I'm still fighting an uphill battle in my household about it

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I've got a CHL but rarely carry, and never on my body. I do a ton of mountaineering, backpacking, rafting, hunting, and fishing, so I wanted something I could legally carry in my truck. A lot of what I do is near the Mexico border as well, so it gives me a little piece of mind when I crawl in my tent at night. I've got several handguns, but carry my Taurus Judge Public Defender on most of my excursions. It's got a polymer frame making it light enough to carry in a backpack. It will shoot both .410 and .45 long Colt, so I load it up with 3 000 buckshot and 2 .45. It's a tight little package and looks mean as hell!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I carry a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Pepper in my pocket. Does that count? :D

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
rkell87;4420567 said:
I want one but I'm still fighting an uphill battle in my household about it

I went through this at my house too a few years ago. My wife never came from a house that has guns in it, so she was pretty leery. Finally, she relented, and I bought a Sig P229. Since then I have added to the collection, and she even wanted a .38 for herself.

Quite a change.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm afraid of guns, so not at this point.

My friend said he's gonna take me to the gun range one day so that I can learn to be unafraid.

He's got these two humongous revolvers, so we'll see.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4420665 said:

My friend said he's gonna take me to the gun range one day so that I can learn to be unafraid.

Always good to have a little fear. It makes you more aware and cautious 2 things I would advise to people using guns.

ologan

Reaction score
I have a CHL from Georgia that I got a couple of years back. I have a S&W sigma 9mm which I have in my truck on trips out of the mountains. I don't feel I need it up here,but do carry it along on trips to Atlanta,and even trips back home to Texas. There is reciprocity in all the states between here and there,and the ones surrounding Georgia. As the old saying goes "Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". I'm also a firm believer in the adage, "Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6".

ologan

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4420667 said:
Always good to have a little fear. It makes you more aware and cautious 2 things I would advise to people using guns.

Absolutely correct!

jubal

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;4420577 said:
I've got a CHL but rarely carry, and never on my body. I do a ton of mountaineering, backpacking, rafting, hunting, and fishing, so I wanted something I could legally carry in my truck. A lot of what I do is near the Mexico border as well, so it gives me a little piece of mind when I crawl in my tent at night. I've got several handguns, but carry my Taurus Judge Public Defender on most of my excursions. It's got a polymer frame making it light enough to carry in a backpack. It will shoot both .410 and .45 long Colt, so I load it up with 3 000 buckshot and 2 .45. It's a tight little package and looks mean as hell!

My daughter just bought one and she loves it.
She gets a lot of rattlesnakes in her yard and this gun will enable her to mince them while backing up instead having to stand and aim.:)

roughneck266

Reaction score
I carry. I carry everywhere its legal when I am onshore. My current carry piece is a Springfield XDM 3.8 45 ACP. I have several other options as well. Most of them are some form of 45 ACP but I do own some wheel guns in 38 and 357, 9mm etc...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have thought about getting a CHL but decided I really don't have the need for one right now. Might change in the future though.

For now I just have the 9MM in the house and might take it to the range. I just don't see the need to carry it around with me everywhere in my area at this time.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Living in Vermont we don't need no stinking permits to carry.

I keep my Glock-17 in the truck and sometimes carry either a Kimber 1911 or a little Keltec P3AT.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4420665 said:

There is nothing to be scared of from a gun if you get proper training on the handling and care of your gun.

I would never suggest a woman use a heavy revolver to learn on, especially if they have never shot a handgun before.

If you ever want something for home defense, I would suggest the

S&W Model 60 Lady Smith

You can use either the .357 load or a .38 load in it and its perfect for women to have on them or near them at home. You should buy one and take it to the range w/ your friend and have him assist you in learning the gun.

Everyone should have at least 4-5 guns. Some for home defense and some for CC once you get a permit.

Compact and lightweight and a nice 5 shot revolver.

[URL="http://i55.tinypic.com/264qkbc.jpg"] [/URL]

rkell87

Reaction score
CowboyWay;4420618 said:
I went through this at my house too a few years ago. My wife never came from a house that has guns in it, so she was pretty leery. Finally, she relented, and I bought a Sig P229. Since then I have added to the collection, and she even wanted a .38 for herself.

Quite a change.

yeah I am trying to get her to go to the range and have her learn on a .22 so she will be comfortable. Kids aren't even in the discussion right now but when it comes to me getting a gun its how will we keep our hypothetical kids safe from it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas;4420758 said:
There is nothing to be scared of from a gun if you get proper training on the handling and care of your gun.

I would never suggest a woman use a heavy revolver to learn on, especially if they have never shot a handgun before.

If you ever want something for home defense, I would suggest the

S&W Model 60 Lady Smith

You can use either the .357 load or a .38 load in it and its perfect for women to have on them or near them at home. You should buy one and take it to the range w/ your friend and have him assist you in learning the gun.

Everyone should have at least 4-5 guns. Some for home defense and some for CC once you get a permit.

Compact and lightweight and a nice 5 shot revolver.

[URL="http://i55.tinypic.com/264qkbc.jpg"] [/URL]

Fear gets a bad rap, a bit of fear be it a gun or some other equipment that can cost you life or limb is healthy. It is when people start to lose that little bit of fear where they do become careless. It is why you see many old time wood workers missing a finger or 2, you do something enough you lose the respect and focus.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4420745 said:
I have thought about getting a CHL but decided I really don't have the need for one right now. Might change in the future though.

For now I just have the 9MM in the house and might take it to the range. I just don't see the need to carry it around with me everywhere in my area at this time.

You're not packing heat every day? What kind of gangster are you, Paint?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
My wife and I both carry. She carries her's everywhere and I carry mine when I travel and when I go to downtown Nashville.

My oldest daughter wants to get here's soon. Both my kids know how to shoot both hand guns and rifles/shotguns.