Who's packing heat?

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4420892 said:
Fear gets a bad rap, a bit of fear be it a gun or some other equipment that can cost you life or limb is healthy. It is when people start to lose that little bit of fear where they do become careless. It is why you see many old time wood workers missing a finger or 2, you do something enough you lose the respect and focus.

I disagree with this. Fear will never let you get comfortable in your knowledge, and can cause somebody to do something irrational. Using common sense and having respect for what you're working with is far more useful than fear.

There is no reason to fear guns. If you are new to them, spend time learning the mechanics of the one you want to own/fire. Take it apart and put it back together numerous times until you are comfortable doing it and know what you're doing. This will also help with cleaning it after you fire it. Practice loading and unloading it until you are comfortable. Once you are proficient in these tasks, then go out and fire it. People that don't take the time to learn their weapons, and don't give it the respect it demands are the ones we should fear. Not the gun itself.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Vtwin;4420753 said:
Living in Vermont we don't need no stinking permits to carry.

I keep my Glock-17 in the truck and sometimes carry either a Kimber 1911 or a little Keltec P3AT.
I don't need one in Arizona either. The permit only tells someone I have a gun. I don't know that I want that known. I carry a Ruger .357 Police Issue.

It is a 1976 model, and belonged to my WWII friend who died last year. A gift from his family.

I am the world's worst shot with a pistol. :p:

Going shooting next Saturday.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
I have had my CHL for over 2 years now I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 or a Springfield 9mm Sub compact. always carry in my truck carry one on me when not working

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Hostile;4421521 said:
I don't need one in Arizona either. The permit only tells someone I have a gun. I don't know that I want that known. I carry a Ruger .357 Police Issue.

It is a 1976 model, and belonged to my WWII friend who died last year. A gift from his family.

I am the world's worst shot with a pistol. :p:

Going shooting next Saturday.

Those double action revolvers aren't the easiest things to shoot. I'm not great with a handgun either. I can hit center mass well with my carry guns but I have to grab something that has had the trigger massaged to shoot for bragging rights.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4420923 said:
My wife and I both carry. She carries her's everywhere and I carry mine when I travel and when I go to downtown Nashville.

My oldest daughter wants to get here's soon. Both my kids know how to shoot both hand guns and rifles/shotguns.

...when you say "carry" does this mean on your person? If so how do you accomplish this? Out in the open so everyone can see the gun?

Or is this just in the glovebox of your vehicle. The way you describe your wife does she carry her handgun in her purse?

neosapien23

Reaction score
I got a 12 gauge defender Remington shotgun, 30/30 winchester lever action, and 22 hornet. Really liked a 40 cal at Academy for 279 I saw and will probably get it as well.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
davidyee;4422825 said:
...when you say "carry" does this mean on your person? If so how do you accomplish this? Out in the open so everyone can see the gun?

Or is this just in the glovebox of your vehicle. The way you describe your wife does she carry her handgun in her purse?

I walk around like this.

8.23-Holster.jpg

:D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Vtwin;4421889 said:
Those double action revolvers aren't the easiest things to shoot. I'm not great with a handgun either. I can hit center mass well with my carry guns but I have to grab something that has had the trigger massaged to shoot for bragging rights.
I unload the wheel or the clip. Call it insurance.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
When I took my CHL range class. I shot a 248 out of a possible 250. Yes, I have been known to carry.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I carry sometimes, and the class simply made sense. Growing up with guns in the house makes it a "duh" type of thing.

Not always, but in certain places it does give me a level of comfort.

Takes a while getting used to it though when it is not something that you do.

MC KAos

Reaction score
rkell87;4420567 said:
I want one but I'm still fighting an uphill battle in my household about it

same here, although im just trying to work my way up to a concealed handgun license, my wife wont let me even buy a riffle or shotgun for the house at the moment, hell, she wont even let me get a german shepard!! this is the only thing protecting me from burglers! besides my steak knives i guess....

http://i58.***BLOCKED***/albums/g274/fakemxcan/IMG_1878.jpg

ologan;4420669 said:
I have a CHL from Georgia that I got a couple of years back. I have a S&W sigma 9mm which I have in my truck on trips out of the mountains. I don't feel I need it up here,but do carry it along on trips to Atlanta,and even trips back home to Texas. There is reciprocity in all the states between here and there,and the ones surrounding Georgia. As the old saying goes "Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". I'm also a firm believer in the adage, "Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6".

:eek: there are mountains in georgia?

kimrose

Reaction score
Not really "packing", but I do have my grandfather's old H&R 922, 9shot revolver, circa 1938. It's more of a family heirloom than anything to me. He used to hunt supper with it back in the day.

I have fired it once, when I was about 8 or 9 yrs old; me, my dad, and my grandpa took it out for shooting practice. It's a darn nice piece. I discovered that I was a pretty good shot that day. But, I am terrified of guns, so my shooting will remain in the past. My dad was one H-E-double L of a good shot, he was a lifer with the NRA and had some fine weapons, beautiful and some were very expensive. When my mom died, I gave all of them to my brother-in-law. I just kept my Grampa's 922. Sentimental rules me.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Its unfortunate how so many people are just strange about guns. It's so second nature to me and my family. We grew up hunting at a very young age. I had my first .22 at 6 years old and was hunting w/o a gun w/ my father at 5 yrs old.

For us to not have a gun is just something I could never imagine. Don't be a statistic folks. It doesn't take much to own and learn how to properly handle a gun safely. To be so scared of something that you can control is beyond me. To have nothing but a dog for home defense isn't even enough nowadays.

Another thing....For a grown man to be told by his wife that he cannot have a gun in the home is pretty much something I could never stand for, no offense.

I don't think there is anything my girl couldn't have in our home within reason that I would be against. If she wants it and its important to her, then you just try and make it happen.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
CowboyWay;4420562 said:
Several months ago, I bought a groupon for a CHL (concealed handgun License) class. The expiration date was quickly approaching, so I figured I better use it before it expired. In the weeks before the class started, I kept asking myself "Do I really need this"....."Am I just being paranoid"?

I took the class anyway last weekend, and I'm glad I did. It was very informative in terms of the rules and regulations regarding carrying a gun.

I was amazed at the type of people who were in the class. School teachers, realtors, business people....out of 40 students, I would say about 25% of them were female.

It got me wondering who else on this board has a CHL, and if so, how often do you really carry it?
I still have my TX CHL but of course it's not good out here but we'll be moving back to TX in August and I will keep it active then

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
I don't live in TX anymore,but I can still use my CHL here is Florida.
Right now I have a Taurus 24/7 .45ACP,a Mossberg a500,and this week I will go tactical with a Bushmaster AR15.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Question out of curiosity... How many people carry because they're truly fearful of something happening to them vs. those who think it's just macho or cool to do so?

I know some people may be in dangerous environments where this kind of is necessary, but a couple of my friends have talked about it, and I don't get it. They have very mundane lives, don't live or work in a risky area, have never had any incidents happen, and they're fairly young, able-bodied guys. One of the guys is a big gun fan and the other has basically never handled guns but has watched too many TV shows and movies.

Frankly, if a burglar comes in my house, I think I'd have so much adrenaline that I'd do the job barehanded. Call me crazy, but I really wouldn't want to shoot someone in the dark whether I have the legal right to or not. And yes, I'm a good red-blooded Texas boy who was dove hunting when he was 10 years old or whatever.