CFZ Whose Draft Board do you Trust? McClay’s, the Talking Heads, or Yours?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The annual screaming based on who we just drafted is nothing new. When we as fans don’t see our pet cat coming to Big D after the draft, the disappointment oozes on this forum. (I was hoping we would land Zach Charbonnet for example) Last night’s response to the Cowboys 2nd and 3rd round picks was typical of us as fans- judging our picks based on our own analysis or some other “expert” at ESPN, etc.

But serious question here: Whose draft board are you going to trust? Will McClay’s, Mel Kiper’s…or yours? Give me Will McClay every time.

Truth is, all the pre-draft hype of individual players by the media talking heads is not always close to what the real scouts think about those same players. The last 25 years of “Mel Kiper‘s Greatest Hits” must also include the incredible amount of misjudging of talent he and guys like Todd McShay and other draft gurus so often make.

So if the Cowboys followed their own draft board as they have in recent years, we should wait before declaring this draft a dud. It always takes 2-3 years to judge a draft anyway. IMO, this front office did a good enough job leading up to the draft, they could do exactly what they should do- follow Will McClay’s board.

75boyz

Reaction score
Not so sure I trust whomever was responsible for just this year's board. Most of the past years seemed more McClay's influence.
This year feels more Dan and McCheese influenced than going strictly BPA .
Feels too need based and reach driven without the value.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The annual screaming based on who we just drafted is nothing new. When we as fans don’t see our pet cat coming to Big D after the draft, the disappointment oozes on this forum. (I was hoping we would land Zach Charbonnet for example) Last night’s response to the Cowboys 2nd and 3rd round picks was typical of us as fans- judging our picks based on our own analysis or some other “expert” at ESPN, etc.

But serious question here: Whose draft board are you going to trust? Will McClay’s, Mel Kiper’s…or yours? Give me Will McClay every time.

Truth is, all the pre-draft hype of individual players by the media talking heads is not always close to what the real scouts think about those same players. The last 25 years of “Mel Kiper‘s Greatest Hits” must also include the incredible amount of misjudging of talent he and guys like Todd McShay and other draft gurus so often make.

So if the Cowboys followed their own draft board as they have in recent years, we should wait before declaring this draft a dud. It always takes 2-3 years to judge a draft anyway. IMO, this front office did a good enough job leading up to the draft, they could do exactly what they should do- follow Will McClay’s board.
NO harm in questioning picks. Mclay and CO have made huge mistakes before and recently.

Its the overly ignorant comments by the dreadfully uneducated football folks that are the most laughable.

Such as "we just drafted a 3rd string TE" or "none of these picks made our team better" ect.....ect......

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Not so sure I trust whomever was responsible for just this year's board. Most of the past years seemed more McClay's influence.
I think that's the question, where are we getting our info from? Are we saying it's a bad pick because we're just looking at NFL, or CBS rankings, etc.? They do a resonable job projecting the top 15-20 players, but can't possibly quantify scheme fit for teams or what clubs see inside their scouting department.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
You know who I don't trust? Jerry Jones. I need to know whether we were following board of McClay and the scouts or whether another Jonny Manziel bug crawled up Jerry's backside when the call was made....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
McClays but what I do not trust is Mikes input on the offensive players because clearly it's out of sync with 99% of the rest of scouts, GM's, and anyone who watches football.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think that's the question, where are we getting our info from? Are we saying it's a bad pick because we're just looking at NFL, or CBS rankings, etc.? They do a resonable job projecting the top 15-20 players, but can't possibly quantify scheme fit for teams or what clubs see inside their scouting department.
Exactly. Without being an actual fly on the wall inside that war room there is still the mystery of the Cowboy collaborative discussions concerning final say.
In my previous post I tried my best to summarize how this year felt more like how a past Marinelli type input influenced a choice rather than sticking with BPA.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m not doubting the players I’m just doubting their value.

I’m sold on Overshown because of what he does against Modern day football teams.

Mazi Smith and Schoonmaker kind of scream that Dallas doesn’t understand todays game..

But..

They both are off the charts great athletes so I do like that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
NO harm in questioning picks. Mclay and CO have made huge mistakes before and recently.

Its the overly ignorant comments by the dreadfully uneducated football folks that are the most laughable.

Such as "we just drafted a 3rd string TE" or "none of these picks made our team better" ect.....ect......
Right. Not only can we critique the picks but we can critique not moving up or down to either get a better pick or more value for our slot.

This notion we must just sit back and cheer is typical for the Homers who can’t handle the critical thinking .

Much like the Bozo fans at the Draft circus cheering just to be cheering. Lol

MikeT22

Reaction score
This.

Are we really going by the board or giving more influence to coaches and taking pet cats that we are afraid won’t be available for us in the next round.

A strict BPA isn’t reasonable, but a BPA among several need areas is.

I don’t dislike Schoonmaker or Overshown, but I think there were better value at need areas available when we picked

And with Overshown, they even brought Fassell into the room, meaning STs was a factor in the pick. Never draft non-kickers based on ST’s

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not doubting the players I’m just doubting their value.

I’m sold on Overshown because of what he does against Modern day football teams.

Mazi Smith and Schoonmaker kind of scream that Dallas doesn’t understand todays game..

But..

They both are off the charts great athletes so I do like that.
Yep

They are solid picks but we can still question if we received the most value for our slots and if these were both the highest priorities.

And we can always question whether we get outmaneuvered like Bills moving right in front of us. This has happened before.

It doesn’t mean Will doesn’t have a good board of talent. To me it’s more about how we always seek to broadcast our intents and then sit pat not willing to move. Like a deer in the headlights.

Trajan

Reaction score
I don't trust this front office to do what is necessary to win.
Yea, but as long as Jerry is having fun playing junior football guy what more is there? Just be happy he is enjoying his life as a fake GM, cause we ain’t winning anything soon.