CFZ Whose Draft Board do you Trust? McClay’s, the Talking Heads, or Yours?

kevm3

Reaction score
I trust McClay's, of couirse. But I'm convinced he cedes the second round to Jerry and the others.
Exactly. Feels like round 1 is McClay. Day two is Jerry and the coach's time to play around and then day 3, they give it back over to him.

I simply don't see how we can be so good on days 1 and 3 and so awful on day 2 consistently other than them doing something like that. We've hit on more 4th rounders than 2nd and 3rd. 4th is where we got Bland, Dak , Pollard, Clark amongst others. In the 2nd and 3rd, we got Diggs and Sam Williams.

I'm almost certain pick 2 is Jerry Jones consolation prize for giving up control on the rest of the draft. Otherwise, no way we'd take injured or character concern players for so long.

kevm3

Reaction score
It feels like the draft strategy is to give round 1 to McClay, round 2 to Jerry. 3 is the pick for the coach that wasn't able to get his guy in round 1. and then round 4 and on goes back to McClay.

Creeper

Reaction score
Definitely not mine!

Sometimes the draft gurus do a pretty good job. But the thing the gurus miss, and us too, is we don't get to talk to the players and see how they think, whether they love the game or the money, if they have low football intelligence, if they are mature enough to handle the experience, etc. These are equally important factors in the development of these kids into NFL players. We'll hear about some players, like Carter, but the rest are a mystery.

I would have to say I trust Will McClay who has had a really good record, at least with picks in the 1st round. Sometimes the difference between a good player and a bust is what is in the player's head.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We need an anchor DT its not flashy but the pick was well within range of where it should be, For sure the TE pick can be debated with good points on both sides... the argument wont be won before we hit the field, heres the thing I watched that TE play he is big and he has speed BUT he also was a huge part of a top rated rush offense for a big time school...was it too high maybe, but if he plays 90% of the TE snaps and can block and adds Shultz type passing game numbers....thats gonna be hard to call a bad pick. The off ball LB looks like a gift to DQ to be honest and I think he see's the field plenty his rookie season and has skills to help the defense...but again that debate has merit on both sides.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will go with McClay this time since I did not pay a lot of attention, nor get into the draft or research it as I usually have.
I also take into account collectively on opinions of some comments and mock drafts I seen on here.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
People have screamed for a stud DT for years, we finally pick one and they are up in arms.

The TE pick is really kind of a head scratcher. He is a blocker that has some skills, mainly speed and can get separation, but in the same breath they all say he gets no YAC and he really doesn't go up after the ball. So basically he needs a QB that can put the ball right where it needs to be. Does that sound like Dak is the right QB for him? And no one had him going in the range he did. So yes, it is fair to question the pick.

The LB fits a need and does seem to be an ascending player that fits what we are doing on D.

So two picks at least make sense, while one just doesn't really do much for the team outside of maybe being the best blocking TE on the team.
I'm with 'ya. I liked 2 of the 3 picks, but that 2nd rd pick just feels like a classic Cowboys Rd 2 pick..... :(

75boyz

Reaction score
This.

Are we really going by the board or giving more influence to coaches and taking pet cats that we are afraid won’t be available for us in the next round.

A strict BPA isn’t reasonable, but a BPA among several need areas is.

I don’t dislike Schoonmaker or Overshown, but I think there were better value at need areas available when we picked

And with Overshown, they even brought Fassell into the room, meaning STs was a factor in the pick. Never draft non-kickers based on ST’s
Nail on head brother.
Exactly my perspective as well.

kskboys

Reaction score
The annual screaming based on who we just drafted is nothing new. When we as fans don’t see our pet cat coming to Big D after the draft, the disappointment oozes on this forum. (I was hoping we would land Zach Charbonnet for example) Last night’s response to the Cowboys 2nd and 3rd round picks was typical of us as fans- judging our picks based on our own analysis or some other “expert” at ESPN, etc.

But serious question here: Whose draft board are you going to trust? Will McClay’s, Mel Kiper’s…or yours? Give me Will McClay every time.

Truth is, all the pre-draft hype of individual players by the media talking heads is not always close to what the real scouts think about those same players. The last 25 years of “Mel Kiper‘s Greatest Hits” must also include the incredible amount of misjudging of talent he and guys like Todd McShay and other draft gurus so often make.

So if the Cowboys followed their own draft board as they have in recent years, we should wait before declaring this draft a dud. It always takes 2-3 years to judge a draft anyway. IMO, this front office did a good enough job leading up to the draft, they could do exactly what they should do- follow Will McClay’s board.
No one's. Drafting is an inexact science at best. That's why the BPA myth is so silly. Aside from a very few cases(Lamb, maybe), there is no such thing as BPA. No team is foolish enough to use that as a draft strategy, it's just fans that love to scream it at a mind numbing pace. Sorry, pet peeve.

Our biggest issues over the years have been the players/positions we've passed on. We all too often ignore make it/break it traits such as lateral agility and instincts.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep

They are solid picks but we can still question if we received the most value for our slots and if these were both the highest priorities.

And we can always question whether we get outmaneuvered like Bills moving right in front of us. This has happened before.

It doesn’t mean Will doesn’t have a good board of talent. To me it’s more about how we always seek to broadcast our intents and then sit pat not willing to move. Like a deer in the headlights.
This "value" thing is grossly overblown. The draft is used to improve your team, to fill weaknesses and get guys who can play at this level.

Agree on priorites.

JayFord

Reaction score
McClay hes done a bang up job drafting

the taking heads? LOOOOLLLLLLL!!! they are just as bad as the fans when it comes to talent...ohh that CB only has 1 interception he must suck!!! oh that DT doesnt get sacks? oh he sucks not knowing both of those positions can WRECK a game registering no stats

JayFord

Reaction score
People have screamed for a stud DT for years, we finally pick one and they are up in arms.

The TE pick is really kind of a head scratcher. He is a blocker that has some skills, mainly speed and can get separation, but in the same breath they all say he gets no YAC and he really doesn't go up after the ball. So basically he needs a QB that can put the ball right where it needs to be. Does that sound like Dak is the right QB for him? And no one had him going in the range he did. So yes, it is fair to question the pick.

The LB fits a need and does seem to be an ascending player that fits what we are doing on D.

So two picks at least make sense, while one just doesn't really do much for the team outside of maybe being the best blocking TE on the team.
that first paragraph sums up our fans kinda like how they cried for a ballhawk corner got one then complained

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
McClay hes done a bang up job drafting

the taking heads? LOOOOLLLLLLL!!! they are just as bad as the fans when it comes to talent...ohh that CB only has 1 interception he must suck!!! oh that DT doesnt get sacks? oh he sucks not knowing both of those positions can WRECK a game registering no stats
The truth is what DT was going to come in and replace one of our pass rushers? We NEEEDED a run stuffer we grabbed one that was well within the pick range, some on this board kill me....literally we been begging for this pick for years and now we get it and "Why would we do that" starts comming.

kevm3

Reaction score
We keep hearing all the stuff about the 'pros' knowing best or whatever, but that's not always the case and how much are the 'pros' are really being listened to here? I'm sorry, but 3 decades of mediocrity leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Why did it take decades to finally use a significant resource on a big DT despite fans screaming about it since forever? How did the pros miss out on the fact that that's one of the major reasons we were getting gashed in the run game? Or are the pros getting ignored by Jerry?

The pros should have known after Randy Gregory that we don't need another character concern, red flags player, but we went ahead and got Bossman Phat and his play has been underwhelming, especially with all the trouble that has been surrounding him. We drafted a guy that we had to make sign an "I will work hard" contract in Trystan Hill. That's an instant red flag that was somehow ignored by the 'pros'. Or did they know and Jerry simply ignored it?

Motorola

Reaction score
But serious question here: Whose draft board are you going to trust? Will McClay’s, Mel Kiper’s…or yours? Give me Will McClay every time.[/B
Serious answer, Bobhaze - 99.9% of NFL fans have no draft board. There may be a few hundred eccentrics out many, many millions around the world that will try hard at it - but they don't have the abilitiy., contacts, or time to formulate even what one team's front office has set up during each round.
Whether its a draftnik that gathers and gleams over prospects' profiles, grading\ranking, monitoring, pre-draft visits, compiles a mock draft consensus, or does the mock draft simulator 3 times a week, etc. ---- everyone is basically making their own predictions in a vacuum.
Other than the top 3 to 7 picks, it comes down to a calulated guess or hunch that fans do before the draft proceeds through the rounds.

kskboys

Reaction score
We keep hearing all the stuff about the 'pros' knowing best or whatever, but that's not always the case and how much are the 'pros' are really being listened to here? I'm sorry, but 3 decades of mediocrity leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Why did it take decades to finally use a significant resource on a big DT despite fans screaming about it since forever? How did the pros miss out on the fact that that's one of the major reasons we were getting gashed in the run game? Or are the pros getting ignored by Jerry?

The pros should have known after Randy Gregory that we don't need another character concern, red flags player, but we went ahead and got Bossman Phat and his play has been underwhelming, especially with all the trouble that has been surrounding him. We drafted a guy that we had to make sign an "I will work hard" contract in Trystan Hill. That's an instant red flag that was somehow ignored by the 'pros'. Or did they know and Jerry simply ignored it?
The "pros" don't even appear to realize that we have a major need at RB. Scary.

JayFord

Reaction score
The truth is what DT was going to come in and replace one of our pass rushers? We NEEEDED a run stuffer we grabbed one that was well within the pick range, some on this board kill me....literally we been begging for this pick for years and now we get it and "Why would we do that" starts comming.
watch watch this year when Mazi Smith a interior Dlineman if he doesnt get 10+ sacks everyone call him a bust

it wont matter if hes a run stopper or takes on double teams and allows parsons and the gang run free keeping our LBs clean

the number 1 role of interior DT in any system before they rush the passer or even stop the run is to keep your LBs clean...and if he does that hes WELL worth the pick i could careless about stats

kskboys

Reaction score

I absolutely don't get our obsession w/ taking a TE early in this draft. OL was a much much bigger need, and the players were there. Makes no sense.

Good post.

kskboys

Reaction score
watch watch this year when Mazi Smith a interior Dlineman if he doesnt get 10+ sacks everyone call him a bust

it wont matter if hes a run stopper or takes on double teams and allows parsons and the gang run free keeping our LBs clean

the number 1 role of interior DT in any system before they rush the passer or even stop the run is to keep your LBs clean...and if he does that hes WELL worth the pick i could careless about stats
People still have no clue that Russell Maryland was a very good player.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The "pros" don't even appear to realize that we have a major need at RB. Scary.
they will get one again I know most here wanted Zeke 2.0 but in all fairness if they get Duece late you will have 2 backs that are capable of taking it to the house on any play....I would rather have that (As both TP and Duece do just fine in short yardage) than spend the draft capitol on a RB that you shouldn't give a second contract to anyway.