CFZ Why an elite nose guard is almost as important as an elite QB

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think you missed some. Like a K isn't more important then a CB. And, for example, a RG isn't anywhere as close to important as a LT. Same thing with LBer. A WLB isn't even on the same planet as a 3-4 OLB. Got to break your position groupings down a bit. Not nit picking brother but a DE is way more important then NT.

Also, I hope you enjoy the forum!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ya these are all over the place and I hate posting things that remotely massages Cowboyroys ego but these anyway do support his argument

I’m with you I think we’ve neglected it long enough

And it's a big reason we haven't made it to the NFCC.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score

That last link is bizarre. A punter more important then DE? If that were true we'd be taking punters with the 1st pick in the draft and giving them 100 million dollar contracts. What punter in the history of the NFL would you take over Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Aaron Donald. Bucky Brooks list seemed the most level headed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not off base, but I think NT should be at least higher than RT on that list.
The Patriots won the 2018 season Super Bowl with DTs:
Guy Lawrence
Malcom Brown (The starting NT).
Danny Shelton

Brown signed with the Saints afterwards for 5M per on a 3 year contract.

Meanwhile Aaron Donald (6-1, 285) makes 32M per.

The 3rd DT on many teams plays as many snaps as the starting NT. The 3rd DT is always a pass rush type DT (3tech or 3tech/NT) hybrid.

There are 3 basic DT combos that D-Coordinators use based on run or pass probability:
Run:
3tech / NT

Run/Pass:
3tech / NT hybrid (3tech type aligned as NT)

Pass:
3tech / 3tech (both aligned as 3techs)

starfan1

Reaction score
That last link is bizarre. A punter more important then DE? If that were true we'd be taking punters with the 1st pick in the draft and giving them 100 million dollar contracts. What punter in the history of the NFL would you take over Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Aaron Donald. Bucky Brooks list seemed the most level headed.
Danny White? Lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Except, you still need a strong push up the middle, or the QB might escape up the middle like Trubisky did in 2019. That's where the NT comes in. By pushing the middle, it destroys the pocket for the QB. By doing that, the rest of the defence can finish off the QB. As stated, Gaines, the Rams NT, allows Aaron Donald to have to only face an OT and maybe a tight end because Gaines deals with the center and guard. If Donald is having to take on the likes of Zach Martin and other such guards consistently, then he wouldn't be nearly as productive. That's why the NT is still very important. Oh, and Vita Vea absolutely destroys the interior for the Bucs, so the rest of that D can be that much deadlier. That's what a top NT can do for you. asic football 101 there.

Your title and point is total and complete nonsense.

Football 101 is that a NT is nothing compared to the job of a QB, let alone an elite one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well that settles it; since you are always wrong....

So you think the NT is as important as the QB?

You guru you. One fool agreeing with another eh? I always said that Cowboys fans are the dumbest on the planet. This is why.