CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevm3

Reaction score
Nobody knows what we have in Trey Lance, but you take that chance for a 4th rounder. Even if all he turns into is a competent backup, then great, you came out ahead. If he doesn't pan out, it will be just like the long list of other 4th rounders that didn't pan out.

We traded away Amari, our best WR, for a 5th and he actually played well for the Browns.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Nobody knows what we have in Trey Lance, but you take that chance for a 4th rounder. Even if all he turns into is a competent backup, then great, you came out ahead. If he doesn't pan out, it will be just like the long list of other 4th rounders that didn't pan out.

We traded away Amari, our best WR, for a 5th and he actually played well for the Browns.
Amari was a proven player, there is no comparison here. Most of us here thought that was one of the worst trades in recent memory.

mcmvp

Reaction score

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Let me give you some free advice. Take the Hopium out of your crack pipes and hide the lighter. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job. For God's sake, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
^ This…all truth

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Let me give you some free advice. Take the Hopium out of your crack pipes and hide the lighter. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job. For God's sake, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
How many times have you seen in the NFL where a player is a bust for a team and then a new team and environment, that player excels? This kid has had injuries he is really unproven and behind in game action and experience. Everyone is looking at Shanahan as some God, what if the 49ers got this all wrong? Look it only cost us a 4th, it could be either another bust or one of the greatest moves the Cowboys have made.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

You seen this place? You have posters who said Andy Dalton and Cooper Rush would make Dak expendable. There’s people here who wanted Carson Wentz and JOHNNY Football. They have no idea what they’re doing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How many times have you seen in the NFL where a player is a bust for a team and then a new team and environment, that player excels? This kid has had injuries he is really unproven and behind in game action and experience. Everyone is looking at Shanahan as some God, what if the 49ers got this all wrong? Look it only cost us a 4th, it could be either another bust or one of the greatest moves the Cowboys have made.
I mean Drew Brees and Geno come to mind though Geno wasn’t traded.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not sure ow you have misunderstood the definition of "fan".

And not surprised you p[resent yourself as an Ultra Dak Crusader.

Don't make assumptions about people praying for dak to fail. They may not share YOUR Dak "giddiness"...that doesn't mean they want Cowboys to lose.

These types of posts are SO hypocritical. People don't support Dak in the way you require them to, while you do not support our newest Cowboy...he is some sort of threat.

Just an odd thought process I do not understand.

Carry on then.

Cumart21

Reaction score
The trade was a good buy low flyer on a guy who has talent. Does that mean he will turn out to be a starter in the NFL? Of course not. The Niners cut bait on him because they needed to get the stink of what they gave up to get him off their hands. I like the trade for the Cowboys but see it for what it is. I like buying low on a QB with talent because you never know what his value will be next year after a strong preseason performance.

John813

Reaction score
Third coming of our Lord and Savior.
Jeff Heath being the 2nd coming, of course.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am. I'd rather see us save that pick and get a lineman in next year's draft. The chance of finding a decent contributing lineman with the 4th pick isn't too bad, at least a depth guy. We need that. We already have a capable backup in Rush.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
And Tony Romo would have been cut had it not been for Quincy Carter getting busted. Drew Brees was labeled a bust after his first three years in SD.

Finding high potential players at QB is never a bad thing and people should be optimistic about the move. I'll be perfectly honest I wasn't much of a fan of his coming out of college, but this is a guy who is extremely gifted physically and don't sleep on the fact that he is going into just his age 23 season with two years of NFL experience....For comparison, Dak Prescott was viewed as a project coming out of school and he was drafted at age 23. I think that is a huge factor in all this. Lance just doesn't have the game experience that other players do.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I mean Drew Brees and Geno come to mind though Geno wasn’t traded.
Geno came from a dumpster fire of an organization. It's like being a QB drafted by the Jets is a curse. Geno is finally with a real coach who knows how to use his skillset. Brees also came to a situation with much better coaching. Trey already had a very good coach.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Not sure ow you have misunderstood the definition of "fan".

And not surprised you p[resent yourself as an Ultra Dak Crusader.

Don't make assumptions about people praying for dak to fail. They may not share YOUR Dak "giddiness"...that doesn't mean they want Cowboys to lose.

These types of posts are SO hypocritical. People don't support Dak in the way you require them to, while you do not support our newest Cowboy...he is some sort of threat.

Just an odd thought process I do not understand.

Carry on then.
I am not a Dak crusader, and anyone who reads my posts will see that I have no problem pointing to his lack of playoff success or the mistakes he makes at the worst times. I have never made excuses for playoff Dak. I do see he is a very good performer in the regular season.