CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Doug Williams, Steve Young and Trent Dilfer.

Who are those guys?

Those guys were all first round picks of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.. and they all went on to win the Super Bowl with other teams. One of them is even in the Hall of Fame. People really need to get over this notion that players can't get better or just play better in a different system and a different situation. Lance may continue to suck rocks in the NFL.. but this is far from a given at this point. The move gives the Cowboys a developmental QB that they have been searching for since like 2018. If they drafted the same guy with that 4th round pick next year nobody would bat an eye. This way the Cowboys get a full season and offseason with the kid before he ever sees the field. That 4th round rookie next year would have had what 12-15 practices before training camp where he would get table scraps behind the vets?
Trent Dilfer had one great year, three winning years out of 13. Those winning years he was carried by his defense. His career 113 TD to 129 INT ratio doesn't scream good QB.

Doug Williams has a career comp% of around 50% and a losing record as a starting QB. He pulled a Nick Foles and had the game of his life in the Super Bowl.

Steve Young was the fall guy for a very, very bad Tampa Bay team. They screwed up.

Tampa Bay was hoping for a lot more than what they got with Dilfer and Williams. They didn't realize what they had in Young, but given how bad that team was, it was probably hard to see.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Threw 28 TDs and no interceptions his 2nd year in college. Unprecedented. I don't know much about college football but that sounds pretty good to me. Do I think he'll unseat Dak? No, but it might be a process of elimination.
That Carson Wentz guy was good at North Dakota State too. Want to trade for him?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How many people get that one super bowl?

It is very remarkable achievement.
Or in some cases, lightning in a bottle.

Just the week before against the Vikings, Williams had 9 of 26 for 119 yards. The poster child for ineptness. A complete miracle and testament to the rest of the team that they advanced.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Has anyone visited any SF boards to see what their fans takes are.
I am sure they are mixed as they are on here.
Most seem ready to move on and see him as a failed pick. A few have suggested picking up Grier to be the #3 QB.

They have a few unflattering things to say about us and the Eagles.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen very many who are "giddy" about acquiring Lance. There are a few who go to extremes about players one way or another. I'm always curious why there is a need to exaggerate reactions? It's not just here ... we get caught up in the most outrageous reactions/comments instead of the other 90% that are more even keel and then we act like the few are the norm.

I can understand wanting to try to correct those who make outrageous comments, but I have trouble understanding the desire to start threads aimed at the 10%.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
HOPE............ as we are tired of the limitations of Dak Cousins...........................

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How many times have you seen in the NFL where a player is a bust for a team and then a new team and environment, that player excels? This kid has had injuries he is really unproven and behind in game action and experience. Everyone is looking at Shanahan as some God, what if the 49ers got this all wrong? Look it only cost us a 4th, it could be either another bust or one of the greatest moves the Cowboys have made.
Not many.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The Niners saw something in the player that made them sell the farm to trade up and draft him. Maybe they lost patience developing him because of Brock Purdy? Who knows, but I think it was definitely worth kicking the tires on for a 4th round pick. I am on record (somewhere in this forum) saying I had zero interest in trading for him, but I am not mad about it for the compensation. He is young, raw, and talented.

Just like any QB, drafted wherever in the draft, he may work out and he may not. Only time will tell. You guys are always talking about wanting the Dallas FO to churn QBs, here they are trying, and some are complaining. lol

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Shanahan is getting way to much credit as some sort of QB guru.

The Cowboys should be able to avoid the high price of the fifth year option with a reasonable, short term, 'prove it' extension.

The only downside to this is the possibility of drama in the QB room affecting Dak negatively, but if Dak is the leader he is made out to be that won't happen.

You could point to the loss of a fourth round pick as a negative, but if the whiff on a fourth round pick dooms your team you have bigger problems than this.

There is nothing wrong with being a bit excited about the possibility of stealing a future starting QB for peanuts. There is almost nothing to lose for the Cowboys and us fans with this scenario.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The difference is that Brees was able to at least earn enough trust to play. Lance couldn't even win the backup job.

2002 and 2003 was also a very different time for QBs. They weren't even playing the same sport. Brees was 12th in yards and mostly middle of the pack in 2002, his first year as starter.
All fair points, and don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Lance is a future all pro QB and Dak Prescott better watch out for his job in 2023. I'm just saying it's still a legitimate possibility and just because a team decided to move on prematurely doesn't take that away.

I think the difference between Brees/Lance is simply that Brees played in over 40 games and had 1500+ pass attempts at a major school. Lance played in 19 games and had only 319 attempts in his college career at NDSU. Huge difference there as one was set up to transition to the NFL quickly with some concerns about his physical limitations. The other was a clear development project but checks the list of all the physical tools you could want in a modern day QB. For that reason I think you absolutely gamble on a Trey Lance buy low situation. It's also a situation where you don't worry about him coming from a SF team that has a great offensive mind and a front office with a lot more wins than losses in recent history. They clearly made a mistake in moving up to get the guy, but for as bad a decision as that was they made an equally bad decision to move on so quickly.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
All fair points, and don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Lance is a future all pro QB and Dak Prescott better watch out for his job in 2023. I'm just saying it's still a legitimate possibility and just because a team decided to move on prematurely doesn't take that away.

I think the difference between Brees/Lance is simply that Brees played in over 40 games and had 1500+ pass attempts at a major school. Lance played in 19 games and had only 319 attempts in his college career at NDSU. Huge difference there as one was set up to transition to the NFL quickly with some concerns about his physical limitations. The other was a clear development project but checks the list of all the physical tools you could want in a modern day QB. For that reason I think you absolutely gamble on a Trey Lance buy low situation. It's also a situation where you don't worry about him coming from a SF team that has a great offensive mind and a front office with a lot more wins than losses in recent history. They clearly made a mistake in moving up to get the guy, but for as bad a decision as that was they made an equally bad decision to move on so quickly.
Well yea I'm fine with the gamble - and I don't think the 9ers were wrong to move up to get him.

But if a guy can't even win a backup job in a poor QB room with all of that draft capital invested, it doesn't suggest he can put it together elsewhere. That's pretty unprecedented.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Geno came from a dumpster fire of an organization. It's like being a QB drafted by the Jets is a curse. Geno is finally with a real coach who knows how to use his skillset. Brees also came to a situation with much better coaching. Trey already had a very good coach.
He was also a Giant too though. As far as Shanahan goes….McCarthys resume of working with quarterbacks is far better than his.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When you are making a case for "pumping brakes" on a new Dallas Cowboy by lecturing about people hoping Dak fails....that is what you are.

Your comment here is very hypocritical. You don't like that people do not support Dak as enthusiastically as you do....by telling other people to not support Trey in the unenthused way you do.
What the hell are you even talking about? That poster is not a “Dak apologist”…..he’s fair.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most seem ready to move on and see him as a failed pick. A few have suggested picking up Grier to be the #3 QB.

They have a few unflattering things to say about us and the Eagles.
I have seen several say this ... saying other teams said he is a failed pick...
However I have not seen any team or analysts say this at all. All I seen was they think it is a great landing spot for him to show what he can do.

I think it is only the disgruntled fans on here saying that IMO. Based only on what I have and have not seen or heard yet.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m confused….if he wasn’t a bust and they didn’t understand what they had….is he not a bust? I mean I wouldn’t call him a bust I was just listing a guy who went from pedestrian to HOF once leaving.
Except he wasn't pedestrian. He was poor his first couple years, which led to the Chargers acquiring Philip Rivers in 2004. But then he was a Pro Bowler who got votes for Offensive Player of the year in 2004 with an 11-4 San Diego team. Rivers couldn't beat Brees out in 2004 or 2005. Brees got injured at the end of 2005, and it wasn't clear how well he'd recover, which made the Chargers difficult decision easy: they went forward with Rivers and let Brees walk.