Why are people so upset about Jeff Heath

ICP

Reaction score
Im not saying he is special, but he was signed to replace Heath as the starting Safety. I get that people are upset about not taking a Safety, I was too but thats not what this thread is about. This is about people think that means we get Heath as a starter again in 2019. Thats not accurate
Yeah, I hear you. I think most just don't see Iloka as much of an upgrade and probably hoped that with a Safety chosen in round two that Heath would be cut loose.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I hear you. I think most just don't see Iloka as much of an upgrade and probably hoped that with a Safety chosen in round two that Heath would be cut loose.
Safety this draft reminded me of HB in 2015. They passed on there pick and it just didnt fall into place for them. Its a critical need next year because only Woods and Wilson are under contract

Reactions: ICP

jnday

Reaction score
He already got replaced as a starter when we signed George Iloka.

There is even the possibility he doesnt make the 53 if cheaper backup options like Wilson, Frazier and/or Thompson show they are worthy of a roster spot
Maybe we are upset because he is the weakest link on the defense. I would not be surprised if he starts the entire season. History has shown that there is no limits to the stupidity displayed by the Jones family.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I'm not quite as negative on Heath as others.

Yes he was awful in 2018.

However his 2016 & 2017 seasons were more than acceptable.

He did have some injury issues last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did bounce back (some).
I agree, but since the season ended, all you kept hearing from the FO was that the S position was one of the top priorities in need of an upgrade. Since they passed on Earl Thomas, signed Iloka, and passed on using a premium draft pick on a S, how was that upgrading the safety position?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Safety this draft reminded me of HB in 2015. They passed on there pick and it just didnt fall into place for them. Its a critical need next year because only Woods and Wilson are under contract
Makes it even worse that all the safeties fell into their lap

Techsass

Reaction score
Hey there are very few things the majority of us can ever agree on. Heath works at keeping the peace, so quit worrying about accuracy.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, but since the season ended, all you kept hearing from the FO was that the S position was one of the top priorities in need of an upgrade. Since they passed on Earl Thomas, signed Iloka, and passed on using a premium draft pick on a S, how was that upgrading the safety position?

Obviously they consider IIoka some degree of an upgrade.

ICP

Reaction score
And they will probably just sign another avarage player to a one year contract like they do with everything else. Always looking for that cheap pot-o-gold.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And they will probably just sign another avarage player to a one year contract like they do with everything else. Always looking for that cheap pot-o-gold.
They will have to sign a few or draft a couple.

Especially if Wilson doesnt make the team

Frazier, Iloka and Heath are all FA's.

I dont see them even paying vet min for a subpackage safety

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You look up Jeff Heath under safeties and look at his ratings for 2016 & 2017.

And then compare those ratings to where guys were ranked for comparable ratings in 2018.

That ain't no bottom half pal.
Ok but in 2016 he only was on the field for 20% of the snaps. 2017 84% of snaps he hit his ceiling and was an anomaly. 2018 is who hes been most of his career

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jeff heat is a solid football player. People like money Players they want the best at every position well that's not how this works especially in the salary cap era.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it makes you feel better the people that do grade every safety have him graded 81 out of 93. Ppl are unhappy with him watching him. And every source available backs those same thoughts
Doesn't make me feel one way or the other because I am resigned to the fact he's going to remain. I do not consider him a good S and never have but we haven't had one since Woody.

I do feel that the Cowboys regard the S position as low on the needs list more than any team and it's been that way except for two HC's. Posters keep getting pissed about what is team philosophy and I am just glad they did use a 2nd on a DT. They're second most unnecessary position. The fact that he's a good ST guy keeps him where he is, and he is that. He's Bill Bates in that regard who was also not a good Safety when he "earned' that and that is what it is, it is an "earned" through determination, guts and there's not a coach that doesn't appreciate that. Marinelli more than some but they all have that soft spot for that player that outhustles his God given talent.

I am not saying Heath is good or that the ones that do not like him are wrong but it's a broken record that's played for too many years. No, he's not a great S or even a good one most of the time, but I do see him busting his *** on every play giving what he's got and I respect that from a millionaire.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Doesn't make me feel one way or the other because I am resigned to the fact he's going to remain. I do not consider him a good S and never have but we haven't had one since Woody.

I do feel that the Cowboys regard the S position as low on the needs list more than any team and it's been that way except for two HC's. Posters keep getting pissed about what is team philosophy and I am just glad they did use a 2nd on a DT. They're second most unnecessary position. The fact that he's a good ST guy keeps him where he is, and he is that. He's Bill Bates in that regard who was also not a good Safety when he "earned' that and that is what it is, it is an "earned" through determination, guts and there's not a coach that doesn't appreciate that. Marinelli more than some but they all have that soft spot for that player that outhustles his God given talent.

I am not saying Heath is good or that the ones that do not like him are wrong but it's a broken record that's played for too many years. No, he's not a great S or even a good one most of the time, but I do see him busting his *** on every play giving what he's got and I respect that from a millionaire.
I feel like I should be drinking while reading this garbage. Yeh and this is why the team hasn't won a conference championship in 23 years. If we were winning super bowls then the direction makes sense. But that isnt the case.