Why are so many Cowboys fans obsessed with WR?

kskboys

Reaction score
We need to improve our offensive line and defensive line first but the reality is that if Burks falls to 24 we have to take him because of the draft value. Nobody has a guard rated ahead of one of the receivers. I would be for a small trade down if you really want a guard though with that pick.
And the bigger reality is, if we take another WR in the first, we are dumber 'n a pillbug.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Are you sure they are in favor of that or resigned to the fact this owner might do that? Did the team really need a WR in the 1st in 2020? Just traded a 1st for one.

CB's, WR's and DE's are sexy picks to this owner. He would have gladly taken Horn or Surtain over Parsons had CAR and DEN not done the fans a favor.
At the same time he was trying to tell anyone listening that Parsons was our top choice, and the top ranked defensive player on our board....he sure sounded disappointed that he didn't get Surtain or Horn.

The forced CB pick at 44 was his consolation prize I guess.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It's amazing to see how many people are in support of drafting a WR in the first round or even the first 3 rounds. It seems like this is the case almost every year no matter what. This is also in spite of the fact that our two best teams since the 90's were heavy running teams (2014 and 2016). Furthermore, Dak is an average QB so the best thing you can do for him is run the ball more.

Like most years, WR is the least of our worries. We just drafted one in the first round and signed another to a big contract. Washington will be a fine third receiver. We have a million other needs so drafting a WR before round 5 would be incredibly stupid. Unfortunately our front office is also obsessed with WR's so lets hope that none fall to them.

Dear lad, Washington will be a good addition. Good for a mediocre team that does not know the NFC East is quietly reloading while we settle for 1- and 2-year JAGs. That, me lord, is our lot in life and we --- as Jerry's income and full stadiums attest --- are totally simpatico with mediocdity. It is comforting to know we are not the worst but comfortably at a respectable 12 or so.

Listen, Herb, while you hesitate on a WR early, I agree.
Yet, good lad, with Ceedee, Gallup and Washington we are 1 injury away from a corps of WRs in disarray.
Oh, and some average 4th round QB to throw the errant, short range missiles.
What could possibly go wrong?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We could end up with very little at WR if Michael Gallup isn’t ready to start the season or if he doesn’t return to form or if he continues to suffer injuries. He had two significant injuries last season. CeeDee has yet to prove he can be a number one receiver. He only had one catch in the playoff game and has an issue with drops. If either he or Gallup gets injured we could have Noah Brown or someone else starting. All our receivers moved up after Cooper was traded and Cedrick Wilson left. I don’t feel near as good about our WR’s as I did the previous 2 years. I would definitely keep our eyes open in the draft for another WR.

kskboys

Reaction score
We could end up with very little at WR if Michael Gallup isn’t ready to start the season or if he doesn’t return to form or if he continues to suffer injuries. He had two significant injuries last season. CeeDee has yet to prove he can be a number one receiver. He only had one catch in the playoff game and has an issue with drops. If either he or Gallup gets injured we could have Noah Brown or someone else starting. All our receivers moved up after Cooper was traded and Cedrick Wilson left. I don’t feel near as good about our WR’s as I did the previous 2 years. I would definitely keep our eyes open in the draft for another WR.
The NT position is in worse shape, why don't you want one of those?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The NT position is in worse shape, why don't you want one of those?

The NT position is in worse shape, I never said I didn’t want one. The topic is about WR. We have a number of needs and WR is a position we should look at in the draft.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's amazing to see how many people are in support of drafting a WR in the first round or even the first 3 rounds. It seems like this is the case almost every year no matter what. This is also in spite of the fact that our two best teams since the 90's were heavy running teams (2014 and 2016). Furthermore, Dak is an average QB so the best thing you can do for him is run the ball more.

Like most years, WR is the least of our worries. We just drafted one in the first round and signed another to a big contract. Washington will be a fine third receiver. We have a million other needs so drafting a WR before round 5 would be incredibly stupid. Unfortunately our front office is also obsessed with WR's so lets hope that none fall to them.
No matter the needs at whatever position...

It would be absolutely asinine to pass up on WR Jameson Williams if he's available at our #24th spot pick.

I would prefer DE Jermaine Johnson or monster NT/DT Jordan Davis, but both of them will be long gone by the time the Cowboys pick at 24th.

With that said, why force a pick on someone less talented at that point, than instead draft Jameson Williams who after rehab from a torn ACL would be an absolute beast and great pick to replace the now departed Amari Cooper?

plasticman

Reaction score
In my opinion, no fan is obsessed with the position of WR more than Jerry Jones. That should be clear to all Cowboy fans.

How many total #1 and #2 picks has Jerry given up just to trade for a WR such as Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, and Amari Cooper??

In many ways, the position of WR and those that play the position resemble the style of Jerry Jones. I believe that if he were to choose an NFL position he would want to play if blessed with the talent would be WR.

They make "big splash" plays, they are the most exciting to watch, most have a very confident, sometimes cocky personality. This is everything Jerry loves to be or do.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LOL.....As WR comes to Dallas to die.....:(
Yes by all means draft a WR in the 1st round!!!!:muttley:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
like he could find a number one wr on the field. sheesh, we don't have a big enough wheel barrel to carry him. smh

baltcowboy

Reaction score
And the bigger reality is, if we take another WR in the first, we are dumber 'n a pillbug.
The draft is about acquiring talent. If Burks is the pick then Moore will have to do his job and give CeeDee and the next Dez the ball. Like I have said before you can find a guard. You don’t pass on Dez jr.

Silly

Reaction score
It is a passing league. Cup basically won the Super Bowl for the Rams. Can't win without a WRs.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys should focus on building the offensive line to be run heavy and continue to improve on the defense.

When you have the new Trent Dilfer as your QB1 this is how you should build your team if you want success.

Jenky

Reaction score

Because we've seen how inept Dak is with receivers who can't create "adequate" separation. It took trading for one of the best route runners in the league to elevate Dak's game.

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
We just traded our WR1. In our game w/o him out last year the defense held the high flying Chiefs offense to 19 points and our offense was only able to put up three lousy field goals. Our franchise QB had a QBR of 9 out of 100.

Michael Gallup 5 rec 44 yds
Ced Wilson 4 rec 36 yds

and our new WR1

CeeDee Lamb 3 rec 14 yds.

And Wilson is gone to Miami. I'm fine ignoring the WR1 position our franchise QB said Lamb is more than capable of taking it over, lets go ahead and draft a reilable RB, OG, OC, and OT.

Last edited:

jwitten82

Reaction score
need route runners and not huge WRs that can jump and fight for the ball.

IF Dak's accuracy is in question, dont we NEED huge receivers who can jump and fight for the ball ?

What good is running a great route or having an expanded route tree if he's only going to be inaccurate with the throw?
Your username didn't age well at all lol

MyFairLady

Reaction score
When Jerry picks a new best friend he prefers WR to DT. They are generally more outgoing, flashier and overall more fun to hang around with.