CFZ Why are the Cowboys so reluctant to make trades the last decade?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it interesting that the Cowboys are one of the least likely teams in the NFL to make trades. And when they do, it usually involves either a first round pick or a 6-7th round pick- almost never involves a player for player trade.

In the last decade, the Cowboys have made 22 trades, which is near the bottom of NFL teams making trades. I find that interesting. In the last decade, New England has made a whopping 67 trades, KC 40, and Balt 34. Making trades in and of itself doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does make me wonder why our FO is so reluctant to do them when for example we could really use a swing T.

Some other interesting aspect of our trade habits the last decade:
  • Of the 22 trades we’ve made, 8 involved DL.
  • Only 3 of those 22 trades involved a player for player swap.
  • Of those 22 trades, 13 involved defensive players.
  • The most common trade capital used has been 6th and 7th round picks.
Why are the Cowboys so reluctant to make a trade? With an obvious need at OL depth, and with some current depth at DL, wouldn’t it make sense to get some help via trade?

Thoughts?

JBS

Reaction score
You can start by understanding S. Jones’ mentality when it comes to trades. Something along the lines of “never be the one to make the first call”

this guy is an absolute idiot and he’s probably a downgrade from his idiot father.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it interesting that the Cowboys are one of the least likely teams in the NFL to make trades. And when they do, it usually involves either a first round pick or a 6-7th round pick- almost never involves a player for player trade.

In the last decade, the Cowboys have made 22 trades, which is near the bottom of NFL teams making trades. I find that interesting. In the last decade, New England has made a whopping 67 trades, KC 40, and Balt 34. Making trades in and of itself doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does make me wonder why our FO is so reluctant to do them when for example we could really use a swing T.

Why are the Cowboys so reluctant to make a trade? With an obvious need at OL depth, and with some current depth at DL, wouldn’t it make sense to get some help via trade?

Thoughts?

Many of those trades for DL came from a few different years when the DL was devastated by injuries.
Such as the 7th round pick to Houston for Ankou and players like that.

This also comes into play as to not making trades at the end of TC.
We fans tend to overrate our talent, thinking we can trade some perceivable depth, at least for some draft picks if not a player.
It never or rarely comes to fruition.

I think now this year, but even some media members are saying it as well. Thinking we have enough depth at DL, they can trade for OL.
I am not counting on that happening. But sure hope it does.

Carson

Reaction score
Many of those trades for DL came from a few different years when the DL was devastated by injuries.

We fans tend to overrate our talent, thinking we can trade some perceivable depth, at least for some draft picks if not a player.

I think now this year, but even some media members are saying it as well. Thinking we have enough depth at DL, they can trade for OL.
A guy like Basham, Watkins or Fowler is going to cut. This is the year to trade for the WR or OL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Thoughts?

Pretty simple actually. In order to make trades you have to put in a lot of thought and time calling around trying to do deals. Jerry doenst have the time for that. Not committed.

And then there is the fact that he usually gets ripped off so he is gun shy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A guy like Basham, Watkins or Fowler is going to cut. This is the year to trade for the WR or OL
or trade our last 3-4 guys for picks. sign stop gap vets at WR/OL if you decide you need to week 2.
keep drafting well with a plethora of extra picks to boost your odds.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
. And when they do, it usually involves either a first round pick or a 6-7th round pick- almost never involves a player for player trade.

Reading between the lines, what does it tell you? The risk of trading scares the hell out of them. So they either go for a potentially elite player ( 1st rounder) or bottom feeder ( no risk if it doesn't work out). Correct me if I'm wrong but we have only traded first-round picks ( involving players ) at the WR positions trying to help the QB. What's interesting is I think we have done it for Akiman, Romo, and Dak ( Galloway, Roy Williams and Cooper)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said.
Reading between the lines, what does it tell you? The risk of trading scares the hell out of them. So they either go for a potentially elite player ( 1st rounder) or bottom feeder ( no risk if it doesn't work out). Correct me if I'm wrong but we have only traded first-round picks ( involving players ) at the WR positions trying to help the QB. What's interesting is I think we have done it for Akiman, Romo, and Dak ( Galloway, Roy Williams and Cooper)
It does make you wonder if SJ either doesn’t do his homework or is gun shy to make a trade.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Thoughts?

The last time Jerry made a "splash" trade he got taken to the cleaners by the Detroit Lions. That's bound to give anyone pause.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last time Jerry made a "splash" trade he got taken to the cleaners by the Detroit Lions. That's bound to give anyone pause.
The Cooper trade with the raiders wasn’t as bad as the Roy Williams trade with the lions. But yeah, the Jones boys are not exactly trade savvy.