CFZ Why are the Cowboys so reluctant to make trades the last decade?

75boyz

Reaction score
I'll stick with the Brandon Carr theory.
50 million dollar good but not great corner.
At least he suited up for practically every game of his contract.

Just not enough impact/return on investment.

So Carr, to me, was the turning point in their thinking to change from the past to the new type player and contract they wanted to pay in the future regarding all FAs.

After him, there really was a complete paradigm shift in acquiring free agents.

They are now the 2 yr and 1 yr bargain contract shoppers of those who may have a recognizable name but most are past their prime or whose injury history is too risky.

But they take the risk anyway cuz they can be had for cheap.

They had the one year home run of Cobb, Bennett and Quinn who far out played their one year deals.

But mostly it's been a poor mixed bag of has beens and injury prone risks.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
There's not many trades of significance in this sport compared to others in general, although that's increased greatly over the last five or so years.

We also have a GM that's busy booking stayjum events instead of exploring how to make his team better.

I really don't know who plays the GM role for real in that regard, if anyone. I would suppose McClay.

We certainly know who plays the GM on TV.

Another area where the GM by committee thing hurts.

Is there ANY hope whatsoever that once Jerry is out of the picture the kids hire a GM, who hires a HC, who hires a staff...etc?

ANY shot??

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well said.
It does make you wonder if SJ either doesn’t do his homework or is gun shy to make a trade.

Oh, I'm sure he's gun shy. I'm 100% certain he has or can get any/all the info he needs. What's funny is he's the complete opposite of what Jerry was as a young owner ( risk taker, maybe too much lol).

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Our strategy is to save up all of our cap space and draft picks so that we can trade them away for magic beans. Also known as wide receivers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'll stick with the Brandon Carr theory.
50 million dollar good but not great corner.
At least he suited up for practically every game of his contract.

Just not enough impact/return on investment.

After him, there really was a complete paradigm shift in acquiring free agents.

They are now the 2 yr and 1 yr bargain contract shoppers of those who may have a recognizable name but most are past their prime or whose injury history is too risky.

But they take the risk anyway cuz they can be had for cheap.

They had the one year home run of Cobb, Bennett and Quinn who far out played their one year deals.

So Carr, to me, was the turning point in the type player and contract they wanted to pay in the future with regards to FAs.

But mostly it's been a poor mixed bag of has beens and injury prone risks.
They love compounding mistakes.

Carr didn't work out so let's just punt on free agency for the next couple of decades.

Expecting the draft to be your big fix for whatever blew up your previous season hasn't really gone well.

And yeah Stephen, we all understand the early part of the draft is where you find your best bargains, but they are limited.

Leaving a gaping hole at LG and forcing yourself to draft a starter is SOP for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. But I suppose we are stuck as fans, aren't we?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Same reason Jerry and Stephen are afraid to invest in FA: they don't know the other players around the league.
It is more about relationships with other organizations, specifically their GM. The front office is not especially known to be in the trading business.

75boyz

Reaction score
They love compounding mistakes.

Carr didn't work out so let's just punt on free agency for the next couple of decades.

Expecting the draft to be your big fix for whatever blew up your previous season hasn't really gone well.

And yeah Stephen, we all understand the early part of the draft is where you find your best bargains, but they are limited.

Leaving a gaping hole at LG and forcing yourself to draft a starter is SOP for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. But I suppose we are stuck as fans, aren't we?

Yeah, whether talking trades or impact FA contracts in general, FA acquisition is not stressed to the point that it needs to be.

It's a vital cog in the whole roster building plan for NFL success.

So frustrating to see this element ignored or minimized by this FO year after year.

Silly

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't know how to trade. His last good trade was Deion in 1995.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the Cowboys are one of the least likely teams in the NFL to make trades. And when they do, it usually involves either a first round pick or a 6-7th round pick- almost never involves a player for player trade.

In the last decade, the Cowboys have made 22 trades, which is near the bottom of NFL teams making trades. I find that interesting. In the last decade, New England has made a whopping 67 trades, KC 40, and Balt 34. Making trades in and of itself doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does make me wonder why our FO is so reluctant to do them when for example we could really use a swing T.

Some other interesting aspect of our trade habits the last decade:
  • Of the 22 trades we’ve made, 8 involved DL.
  • Only 3 of those 22 trades involved a player for player swap.
  • Of those 22 trades, 13 involved defensive players.
  • The most common trade capital used has been 6th and 7th round picks.
Why are the Cowboys so reluctant to make a trade? With an obvious need at OL depth, and with some current depth at DL, wouldn’t it make sense to get some help via trade?

Thoughts?
With our excess assets at safety and defensive line this could be the year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's not many trades of significance in this sport compared to others in general, although that's increased greatly over the last five or so years.

We also have a GM that's busy booking stayjum events instead of exploring how to make his team better.

I really don't know who plays the GM role for real in that regard, if anyone. I would suppose McClay.

We certainly know who plays the GM on TV.

Another area where the GM by committee thing hurts.

Is there ANY hope whatsoever that once Jerry is out of the picture the kids hire a GM, who hires a HC, who hires a staff...etc?

ANY shot??
So true. I spent some time watching what Les Snead, the GM of the rams has done the last 4 years. Two NFC championships, 2 SBs with two different QBs, one Lombardi, a ton of trades and FA moves, and a lot less draft capital than the Cowboys have. And they are poised to compete again this year.

Meanwhile Les Snead also has zero radio shows during the season but does do a very informative podcast in the off-season. Young GMs like Snead who’s 51, KC’s 45 year old Brett Veach, and Tampa Bay’s 50 year old GM Jason Licht , have 5 conference championships and 3 Lombardis in the last 4 years. And we have an 80 yr old narcissist and his 58 year old buffoon #1 son with weekly radio shows and a 27 year drought of playoff accomplishments.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Pretty simple actually. In order to make trades you have to put in a lot of thought and time calling around trying to do deals. Jerry doenst have the time for that. Not committed.

And then there is the fact that he usually gets ripped off so he is gun shy.

I believe it very much has to do with your second statement. Seems like every time he tries to make a trade for a big name he gets fleeced. The player either plays like dog#$@& for Dallas or gets a major injury.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the Cowboys are one of the least likely teams in the NFL to make trades. And when they do, it usually involves either a first round pick or a 6-7th round pick- almost never involves a player for player trade.

In the last decade, the Cowboys have made 22 trades, which is near the bottom of NFL teams making trades. I find that interesting. In the last decade, New England has made a whopping 67 trades, KC 40, and Balt 34. Making trades in and of itself doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does make me wonder why our FO is so reluctant to do them when for example we could really use a swing T.

Why are the Cowboys so reluctant to make a trade? With an obvious need at OL depth, and with some current depth at DL, wouldn’t it make sense to get some help via trade?

Thoughts?
Two names. Joey Galloway and Roy Williams

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There’s a number of reasons we don’t make a lot of trades. Jerry values his draft picks. If you trade for a player they’re going to cost you much more money than if you used that pick in the draft. The first round pick we used on Amari Cooper ended up costing us a lot of money because we had to pay him. You have to consider the price it’s going to cost to keep the player you trade for. Jerry prefers to stock pile draft picks than lose draft picks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?
Player for player swaps seem to be a very low percentage of trades the past decade. Do you have those numbers?

It's definitely lower than in the early nineties.