CFZ Why are the Cowboys so reluctant to make trades the last decade?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all i think you have to view the signing of our own players to new contracts also as a kind of FA signings. So this would change your stats.

But nethertheless. I think this FO developed a conviction that it is very good at drafting players.

When Parcells came here he installed a system by building with 2 priorities: Build your core team thru the draft. And plug short term starter holes with average FAs. Also fill backup positions with average FAs. That went very well. And to me it is the way to go.

When Garett came here he used Parcells approach but went stronger to build thru the draft. And i think when we drafted Martin and Fredericks during his time here it was the "worst" that could happen to us in hindsight.

Because i think those 2 draft picks (combined with a few more) it convinced our FO that they are great at drafting. And they think this way until now. That conviction is so big that they think that they are able to build ONLY thru the draft.

The problems that i see are:

1. You cant build a winning team only thru the draft
2. We are not good at drafting. This "conviction" stems back from some #1 round picks that panned out. But looking for example at our last 4-5 dratfs. We are not good at drafting.

Then of course we dont have anybody who actually knows how to professionally handle the salary cap. Which is also a problem when you want to sign FAs.

My last point is a bit tricky. Because with the Joneses big Egos i dont think they know or allow them to accept that they are bad at managing the cap. I think they are more like: "hey signing FAs is very risky so lets build thru the draft and sign only our own player whom we already know". They project their own disability into the word "risky".
I agree with a lot of what you said, especially that you can’t build a roster on the draft alone. But in the OP I was mainly talking about trades and why the Cowboys FO seems to be completely averse to them. We all know they are a bottom feeder in FA. And to your point, we not only need to be better in FA, we could also mix in a good trade once in a while.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you said, especially that you can’t build a roster on the draft alone. But in the OP I was mainly talking about trades and why the Cowboys FO seems to be completely averse to them. We all know they are a bottom feeder in FA. And to your point, we not only need to be better in FA, we could also mix in a good trade once in a while.

Well maybe my points got lost between the lines.

I think there are two reasons:

1. Our FO is convinced they are so good at drafting that they can build only thru the draft. Hence need no FA and also no trades. Only for hole plugging.
2. Our FO sees FA as too risky. Which (translated to reality) means nothing else then: they dont have the ability to handle the salary cap.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well my friend, I disagree. By making it clear that Cooper was not in their future plans, teams knew his value was lessened. The Cowboys telegraphed their intentions.

What SJ should have done is act like Cooper was still a valued starter and was in their plans even though he wasn’t. That would disguise their real intentions. This off-season, multiple teams were looking for veteran WRs in a trade. Some garnered 1st round picks. Cooper’s play has certainly waned some, so getting a 1st rounder would’ve been hard. But maybe a 2nd or 3rd was plausible. Until SJ announced on his radio show that Coop wasn’t in their plans. After that we were lucky to get a 5th.
Again that has nothing to do with nothing.
The Cowboys telegraphed their intentions 12 months prior when they didn't restructure Amari.
Every fan who paid even an iota of attention knew this was coming. Amari knew it was coming, and yes other GMs knew it was coming.

This take is all just illogical.

The local truck dealership has a sale and what keeps it quiet? Of course not, they blast the ad everywhere.
Dallas was begging anyone to take Amari for a 4th and they had zero NFL teams as takers.
They were fishing for the best possible offer. And his value is what any of the 31 other teams would pay for him.

Are the Pats "telegraphing their intentions" with Wynn? Are they also stupid?

The Dallas FO has plenty of real challenges without made up fan faction.

Amari Cooper is a talent but he is also paid 60M over the next 3 seasons, has seen his stats decline two straight seasons and was mediocre last year in the NFL's top offense.
His explosion and big plays have dried up. But he does still run a pretty route tree.
The day Dallas drafted CeeDee we knew they were not keeping Cooper, Gallup and CeeDee on the same cap long term.

kskboys

Reaction score
You do not know who picked Joseph. McClay and his group had him on the board. You are reaching with that to blame Jerry.
Yes I read what you posted. I can ask the same of you, did you read mine?
Preaching? No, you did not read. You assumed my only intention is to bash Jerry. Incorrect.

Yes, I read, and it didn't fit w/ what I wrote.

kskboys

Reaction score
So the players that the usual posters mostly like, Jerry was not as involved with, or went with the board or influenced by others.
The players they do not like was all Jerry.
Well, ok then.
It provides my point fans go with their emotions and not the head. That is not using common sense to think that way or to speculate.

Yes they blew many picks as you say, but it was still not all Jerry. That is media / fan driven stuff.
I don't like all what Jerry does, or don't even like him talking to the media. But it is how it is.
You are assigning thoughts to people. That is the polar opposite of common sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe so, but he did so by following the draft board. He said as much the time he was on his big boat. He follows the draft board.
I do not believe he and his son are the sole decision makers.
Again this is made up more by the fans that do not like him IMO.

And I am by no means defending Jerry or the FO. This is my opinion.
You are arguing w/ good posters as if they are casual trolls. Think, man.