Why are they not opening more cap space?

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is Stephen Jones having more power. Jerry was one extreme, cap boy is the other extreme. We can't have middle ground with this front office.
Funny, I don’t remember Jerry being wild in FA, other than Sanders, who we likely don’t win SB30 without.

And yes, GM by committee is more of a problem than most think.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Funny, I don’t remember Jerry being wild in FA, other than Sanders, who we likely don’t win SB30 without.

And yes, GM by committee is more of a problem than most think.
Jerry signed Deion (while Stephen said no), traded two 1sts for Joey Galloway, traded picks for Roy Williams (the receiver), and paid big for guys like La'Roi Glover, Terrell Owens, Leonard Davis, and Brandon Carr through the years. Since Cap Boy gained more say these big moves have disappeared.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What? 'Dude, you are loco. TE was absolutely not a need, not even close. I have no idea what that pick was, aside from being incredibly stupid, but it was not a need pick.
The Cowboys didn't know what they had in Ferguson yet. He only caught what, 17 passes as a rookie? Yes he turned into a star in the making but nobody knew this a year ago at this time.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jerry signed Deion (while Stephen said no), traded two 1sts for Joey Galloway, traded picks for Roy Williams (the receiver), and paid big for guys like La'Roi Glover, Terrell Owens, Leonard Davis, and Brandon Carr through the years. Since Cap Boy gained more say these big moves have disappeared.
Junior does not want to spend his inheritance; he is just waiting for the old man to kick the bucket.

And people thought it was going to be so much better when Cap boy took over:laugh:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Gotta save money to pay Prescott, Lamb and Parsons….every one of which they were very lucky to get.

Good luck with those three eating up half the cap and a bunch of draft picks and UDFAs the other half.

Top heavy roster with inferior coaching that will tolerate Jerry and his need to perform his act. Didn’t we see about TEN years of that not so long ago??

This is coming to roost soon. I can feel it and it’s absolutely necessary if anything is to ever change.

When Jerry finally croaks and it’s clear that the kid wants the media attention that the old man does, I’m officially gone….which just isn’t fathomable to me. But that’s where we are. It’s not the losing. It’s how it happened and why.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Gotta save money to pay Prescott, Lamb and Parsons….every one of which they were very lucky to get.

Good luck with those three eating up half the cap and a bunch of draft picks and UDFAs the other half.

Top heavy roster with inferior coaching that will tolerate Jerry and his need to perform his act. Didn’t we see about TEN years of that not so long ago??

This is coming to roost soon. I can feel it and it’s absolutely necessary if anything is to ever change.

When Jerry finally croaks and it’s clear that the kid wants the media attention that the old man does, I’m officially gone….which just isn’t fathomable to me. But that’s where we are. It’s not the losing. It’s how it happened and why.
This is exactly why this team should pick a year to TRULY go all-in. Get a title while you still have all these pieces in place. Blowing it all up and starting over won't feel as bad for us fans after a recent Super Bowl win. Instead we've spent about three decades being stuck in neutral.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Cowboys will do that. But since they never spend on Day One of free agency there is no need to do this just yet. It's just how they've done business for years and years now.

Don't worry, Dallas will sign players. Then each signing will be met with dozens of pages here of snarky comments since they aren't the big names everybody wants.
And some will pump them up to be more than the cheap acquisitions they are. I remember some Ronald Jones II praise/optimism last offseason.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m starting to think they will let Dak play this year out at an insane cap # and may move on next year. if that’s the case we won’t be spending ANY money.
It's about time some folks here came down to Planet Earth and realized No Tickie No Laundry!!!
No extension no Cap and that's just fine with most Cowboy fans as the price to be paid is painfully high..............right Dak??????
He will be lucky if he's not a Post June 1st cut at this point!

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
And some will pump them up to be more than the cheap acquisitions they are. I remember some Ronald Jones II praise/optimism last offseason.
I agree. But on a side note, if things were different Ronald Jones would have made the team. Dallas liked him coming out of college. But he got hurt in camp and then had that two game suspension. He was here so cheap the Cowboys just washed their hands of him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree. But on a side note, if things were different Ronald Jones would have made the team. Dallas liked him coming out of college. But he got hurt in camp and then had that two game suspension. He was here so cheap the Cowboys just washed their hands of him.
And even when he got healthy, he ended up nowhere else. No team wanted him. We were cheap and paid for it, just like we often do. We hit on a few so the Joneses look at that as justification for their philosophy instead of looking at how these cheap FAs don't put us over the top. They believe the expensive ones are not worth it, and maybe they aren't, but there's room between expensive and cheap. Our front office works so hard to not overpay that all it does is pay little for little in return.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They simply do not want to free up money. Even with the cooks, Gilmore, hankins additions they gave up very little. They just missed out on moss who only got 4 million a year because he was too expensive. Think about that. 2 years and 8 million total was too much for a guy they liked. They clearly needed a DT and didn't even bother trying to get one of the better ones, they settled for the cheapest vet they could find. Those are some good deals but you can't always be that cheap and win.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
They simply do not want to free up money. Even with the cooks, Gilmore, hankins additions they gave up very little. They just missed out on moss who only got 4 million a year because he was too expensive. Think about that. 2 years and 8 million total was too much for a guy they liked. They clearly needed a DT and didn't even bother trying to get one of the better ones, they settled for the cheapest vet they could find. Those are some good deals but you can't always be that cheap and win.
They have gotten away with being cheap. Post season success ? No. But by every other metric they are a successful franchise, and that’s all that matters to them. They don’t long for a title. If they happen to stumble into one, they’ll take it. From a financial standpoint, the brand is the greatest in all sports. That’s what they care about most.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
There's a difference in signing players and signing players that will be an upgrade. Yeah, we can sign some guys to 1 or 2 yr contracts on the downside of their careers, or other aging/bargain basement players who will soon be released. And we will likely get much of the same results we've gotten for the last couple of decades.

This, signing Goodwill guys and actually getting guys that are good are 2 different things.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There's a difference in signing players and signing players that will be an upgrade. Yeah, we can sign some guys to 1 or 2 yr contracts on the downside of their careers, or other aging/bargain basement players who will soon be released. And we will likely get much of the same results we've gotten for the last couple of decades.
It's not about us having CAP, it's about being able to outbid other teams, especially for the Elite FA's. We have won 12 games and reached the play-offs for the last three years, so we've done something right.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not about us having CAP, it's about being able to outbid other teams, especially for the Elite FA's. We have won 12 games and reached the play-offs for the last three years, so we've done something right.
We have won 12 games due to the weak NFC East and the dog teams we faced.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
We need players at so many positions. You can’t fill with 6 draft picks??? Wake up. Free like 25 million and sign best lb/dl/ol. Then focus best player round 1 and get rb/wr in rounds 2-3. Dumb and dumber are way too passive.
You answered you're own question