Why are we even fans of this franchise

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For me it started from the beginning. How can I not love the star and what it represented. Roger Staubach. Talk about character. Bob Lily. Jason Witten, Sean Lee, so many in between it’s hard to remember them all. People don’t like Jalen Smith. I think he’s one of the reasonsI still like this franchise. Prescott. Yes character. That’s what it means to be America’s team. In my opinion. So even though I don’t believe in the Jones family. I still believe in the star. Go cowboys

John813

Reaction score
Jerry Jones, Jason Garrett and Jeff Heath for me.

My father and extended family in LA were huge fans of the Cowboys. So, became 2nd nature to root for them. The trio of Aikman, Smith and Irvin were just a treat to watch as a kid and Larry Allen was just a god among men.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Rare instance of a bizarre child abuse.

My dad was a Cowboys fan long before the Panthers existed here locally. We watched Emmitt and Deion every week and the rest is history. I wish I could dump this team for good but they're just "my" team. It kinda sucks sometimes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
For me it started from the beginning. How can I not love the star and what it represented. Roger Staubach. Talk about character. Bob Lily. Jason Witten, Sean Lee, so many in between it’s hard to remember them all. People don’t like Jalen Smith. I think he’s one of the reasonsI still like this franchise. Prescott. Yes character. That’s what it means to be America’s team. In my opinion. So even though I don’t believe in the Jones family. I still believe in the star. Go cowboys
because we are all masochists/////

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I questions whether some of these posters are actually fans are just need someone to talk to. I swear, listening to some of them complain day in and day out about everything about this franchise. Like CFiH just said, masochists.

I started liking them because my stepdad at the time was a Commanders fan and I thought it was funny. I was like 5-6. My family just took it and ran with it. It worked out well because a year or two later they started the 90's dynasty. I got in at the right time.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Fan since 75-76. Funny thing is my Dad is from upstate NY. My Mom is from Baltimore and was a big Johnny U Colts fan. I was born in Baltimore as the youngest of 5 and 50 years ago in 1971 they trekked across the country to set up roots in Ft. Worth. (They actually met in Houston and 3 of my older siblings were born there. They went back to Baltimore snd then FW) I was 1. As a kid I was the only Cowboy fan in the family, as I learned from neighbors and other kids. My family had been taught to dislike the Cowboys and cheered for the Steelers in those days vs the Boys. I was resolute. The family all came around in the 80s and especially when Landry left. (My Mom found him boring). So I spent some glorious years for a couple of decades with a winning team. It’s tough after that but I still stick with it

the_h0wey

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but for me I've lived in Dallas since birth. I was a lucky kid growing up and got to watch 3 Super Bowls. That is why I am and will always be a fan even we haven't done anything in the last 25 years. By the way his name is Jaylon* Smith. If he is one of your favorite players you should probably learn how to spell his name.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My Dad was and is a Cowboys fan dating back to when the team 1st entered the league. At that time the only NFL team in Texas and he and then later I became a fan. Houston had an AFL team, later became an NFL team, so when we moved to Houston we remained Cowboy fans but would pull for the Oilers since they were AFC that is until we got to know Oiler fans, it quickly turned into a hatred that still exists today. As a fan be it the Cowboys, Longhorns, Astros or Stars of course I want them to win but my being a fan is not determined by wins and loses.

starfan1

Reaction score
Early 70s I believe I was a Cleveland browns fan ( Leroy Kelley ) was my guy anyway watching football on tv and saw the cowboys with the cheerleaders and that was all she wrote

then of course the triumph over the dolphins and I’ve never looked back .

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Not really.

I became interested in the franchise because of what happened 2011-2013.

Going into the last game of the season 3 consecutive seasons with an 8-7 record and the division championship on the line AND playing The other team contending for the division in week 17 of all 3 years AND losing all 3 games to lose the division and finish at the exact same 8-8 record AND to have it against each of the 3 divisional rival back to back to back is the most impossibly unlikely event in the history of the nfl. It required perfect precision from the schedulemakers, Cowboys staying exactly the same, the GM, the players, the coaches, even opponent teams to be exactly what Dallas needed for 8-8.

Nothing in NFL history is as crazy as that. It’s still unfathomable a decade later. This is when I began to realize stuff like this isn’t uncommon to this franchise, they are bizarrity-incarnate. Every team has skeletons, and every team goofs up. Pittsburgh, GB, SF, even NE. But Josh Brent’s unfortunate event, Greg Hardy’s support, Jay Ratliff’s free ride, Terrell Owens’s crying press conferences, David Irving’s “retirement”, Randy Gregory’s career game log, the Romo Cabo trip, suspensions every offseason, arrests every offseason… these are things that don’t happen this often to any other franchise. Dallas isn’t cursed, they harbor a Jersey Shore atmosphere and it pays off for them (if you want to call it that). Dak Prescott is the only franchise QB I’ve EVER heard of that the team said they need to resign him above all else and still wouldn’t do it for 2 years. They let him hit franchise tag(s) even though they said they’d make sure he was a Cowboy for the long term. That happens to other teams, but not at QB. Never at QB. There’s no question he got way more money because you waited so long to do something you said you were going to do in 2017. Dallas is so weird.

I am 100% an Eagles fan, and I don’t hate the Cowboys or any team. But if I were ranking my preferred, Dallas would be in the 30’s.

For that reason, this may not seem like my favorite place to be on the NFL internet, but for prior reasons it’s by far the most entertaining. I love when Dallas is called America’s Team, because I totally agree. But for very different reasons than initially intended. And the best part is a huge conglomerate of fans think what happens in Dallas is the same that happens every where else. It’s great. Dak Prescott is a perfect example: very few fans here believe what he’s done on the field reflects who he is as a QB. It either implies he’s way better than he’s shown, or way worse than he’s shown. Defense and Zeke have made him not reach his full potential, or defense and Zeke are the reason he’s deceptively better than he is. You don’t find this silliness ANYWHERE else. Tennessee fans do or dont like Tannehill for who he is, Packer fans do or don’t like A-rod for who he is. It’s highly entertaining.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question assumes a payoff being a fan. Why are there Browns and Lions fans? Why so many Cubs fans for so long?

I am not a fan of the people that own and operate it, I look past that and really don't have a lot of players that I like but the history and laundry are part of me. So many memories from the Ice Bowl to the Hail Mary to The Catch, that first SB and getting over the hump and my favorite player of all time, Lance Alworth, scoring a TD in that game. The Cowboys team is like an old friend that's not been doing too well but he is still my old friend.

Some would do better to not bring every stupid thing Booger and Porky say here and make them such a large part of the team, they are not the team. I will wager no other team site gives as much space to the ownership or management of their team as every Cowboys site. Booger is the face of the franchise and who helped make him that?

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I grew up in San Antonio, we used to play football on the hot asphalt streets, bare foot some times,,, depending on how fast you could find your shoes or not when a game was being declared.
Those were the best days of my life, in 110 degree blistering heat and running down the side of a street like it was a sideline, and emulating your heros like Preston Pearson, TD, even Golden Richards...
Best days ever brothers.... and sisters.