Why are we even fans of this franchise

RoboQB

Reaction score
They are the franchise in my back yard. That’s how it’s supposed to be. Rooting on your local or regional team for better or worse.

With that logic, I'd have to be a Commanders fan.
And I can tell you that will never happen.

My dad told me Roger Staubach was a true role model.
So, that made 12 my favorite number, Staubach my favorite player and
Dallas my favorite team.

Then I saw the cheerleaders and stayed on after Captain America retired.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dont need a reason, its been that way since i was 10 and will always be this way..real fans dont change teams, dont turn their back on their team win lose or draw DCFFL....

:starspin::flagwave:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
For me it started from the beginning. How can I not love the star and what it represented. Roger Staubach. Talk about character. Bob Lily. Jason Witten, Sean Lee, so many in between it’s hard to remember them all. People don’t like Jalen Smith. I think he’s one of the reasonsI still like this franchise. Prescott. Yes character. That’s what it means to be America’s team. In my opinion. So even though I don’t believe in the Jones family. I still believe in the star. Go cowboys
Yep, I am a creature of habit and loyalty

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Cycle_of_Abuse.png

FrankM

Reaction score
I became a Cowboy fan when I first began watching football when I was kid in the mid 70's. I grew up in Tampa, FL, but I was a fan of the Cowboys. It was something about the colors, the star and that artificial turf at Texas Stadium. I even loved the TV show Dallas, because it showed Texas Stadium in the opening credits.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I mostly root for teams in my backyard, the Cowboys being the exception. I've always been a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and still am, but I never cared for the Steelers. Part of it was the name - no one could define a "Steeler" when I asked them (it's a made up word). People who worked in the steel mills had different names but "steeler" wasn't one of them, so it sounded dumb then and dumb now. Coming from a family of steel workers - who weren't Steelers fans - made not rooting for that team seem normal. My grandfather rooted for the Commanders because he loved Sammy Baugh when he was young.

The Browns were just boring to me - my dad and brother rooted for them - but "Cowboys" resonated. I loved watching Staubach play and Landry wore the same kind of hats as my grandpa, also resonating with me at 6 years old. Then I spent 3 summers at my aunt's house in Garland, so even losing two SBs to the Steelers (and taking a ton of abuse at at school) didn't sway me. Just made me a bigger Cowboys fan.

Jerry Jones has taken a lot of luster off the star, for me. Still a fan but the passion I once had has been replaced by "let's see what happens this week", as I have no confidence that he and sonny boy are going to put together a championship team. I wait for something bad to happen and it does every year. Thanks, Jerry. :rolleyes:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Because humans have an inherited sense of tribalism.

But actually, because I was born a Cowboys fan, and will continue to be one. I don’t always like the coaches, some of the players, or the way things are handled by the front office, but I’ll be damned if I don’t ever root for their success, no matter the coach, player or FO.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I accidentally ran into Jerry at the Liquor store once while wearing my Cardinals jersey. He said to me, how bout em' cowboys. Handed me a full money clip with JG jersey. Been diehard since.. ;)..

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
For me it started from the beginning. ….. That’s what it means to be America’s team. In my opinion. So even though I don’t believe in the Jones family. I still believe in the star. Go cowboys

Because we are gluttons for punishment LOL!
( At least until Jerry goes out of the picture)

McKDaddy

Reaction score
my best friend was a fan (3rd grade). I wasn't even into football at the time. I became addicted to football & the Cowboys. SB loss to Steelers hurt so bad.
he quickly lost all interest in football. my curse remains.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My definition of 'fan' or 'fanatic' was extremely simplistic growing up. It wasn't until I joined another message board, one which Shall Not Be Named on CowboysZone.com, during my thirties that I began to know just how the term relates or differs among people. And that knowledge has grown immensely during my nearly twenty years here.

Once upon a time, I would have read something like "Why are we even fans of this franchise" and instantly reacted with a "What the". Now, in the back half of my fifties, I enjoy answers and personal reflections as fascinating reads.

Go Cowboys (and fans too) :starspin:

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I questions whether some of these posters are actually fans are just need someone to talk to. I swear, listening to some of them complain day in and day out about everything about this franchise. Like CFiH just said, masochists.

I started liking them because my stepdad at the time was a Commanders fan and I thought it was funny. I was like 5-6. My family just took it and ran with it. It worked out well because a year or two later they started the 90's dynasty. I got in at the right time.

See here is the problem: many of us became fans when the Cowboys were the premier football organization in the NFL at every level. We had the most modern scouting system using stats, Tom Landry and then Jimmy as head coaches with lots of good assistant coaches. We had fantastic players on offense, defense, and special teams at the same time. We had ownership that allowed this all to happen. We were a great organization and testimony to that is all the winning seasons, playoff appearances, and Super Bowls. Unfortunately, everything I just said stopped after Jimmy left (that last Super Bowl was Jimmy’s team and they won in spite of Jerry and Switzer (just ask Aikman or Moose or…).
Jerry took over coaching and assistant coaching hires, drafting players, negotiating contracts, etc…I hope we can all agree our playoff appearances and championships record the last 25 years under Jerry is awful compared to the great days. So those of us spoiled by the great old days see many negative issues everywhere we look nowadays: joke coaching hires by Jerry, some bad drafting, bad contracts, etc… Yes, enough good things happen to keep us from having losing seasons every year BUT BY GOD, the measuring stick for us used to be Super Bowls because it was a given we would have a winning season and make deep playoff runs…and appear in Super Bowls and also win them too. Change teams ? Hell, I grew up in Maine so it should have been the easiest thing in the world for me to change to the patriots. Except for the blue stuff that drips out when I cut myself shaving. This is not a flame at any fans or folks here, just an attempt by an old timer to offer his experience.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hard to break being a fan of a team. Real hard. Dallas was my team when I was a little guy and they were great to watch. I don’t think I can quit being a Cowboys fan but they do make me mad.

That said I am dangerously close to giving up on the Yankees. I want to punch Cashman every time I see him.

Big_D

Reaction score
People on here spend their days talking Cowboys 24/7 even though the owner is a gigantic turd. That is true fandom. Players come and go, some you like, some you don’t. That’s how it works in every sport.