Why are we not all in right now?

morasp

Reaction score
Improve the run game, improve the run defense. Rush more than you pass. Dak is 30-0 when they do that.

Draft/Sign a legitimate NT
Draft/Sign a legitimate OC
Draft/Sign a legitimate RG
Draft/Sign a run stuffing LB a real thumper
Draft/Sign a starting caliber RB with fresh legs

fivetwos

Reaction score
Improve the run game, improve the run defense. Rush more than you pass. Dak is 30-0 when they do that.

Draft/Sign a legitimate NT
Draft/Sign a legitimate OC
Draft/Sign a legitimate RG
Draft/Sign a run stuffing LB a real thumper
Draft/Sign a starting caliber RB with fresh legs
You mean LG, but this is about right.

I especially agree with adding a rookie RB this year and next, but Im sure Pollard will end up with a second deal. Old habits die hard.

conner01

Reaction score
Mill
Simply, I mean things like adding Miller and Wagner.

We are going to have a dead money problem anyway down the road, so why not try to get over the hump NOW while you think you have your QB in place?

That would tend to make sense given Jerry's age.

But they seem intent on creating dead money only to the point of maintaining status quo.
Miller and Wagner are unrealistic
It’s just not possible to do
Show me a way you could make it work

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every playoff team wasted their season. Green Bay and San Francisco wasted their seasons too!
We are all in this year. We need to build the best defense we can and be smart about it. Rebuild the O line, and brain wash Dak that he is a Bus Driver, who needs to run to keep drives alive.

I don't believe that at all. That's alot of rebuilding for a 12 win team. Wouldn't it have been better to aquire a couple guys who could have helped us beat saf Fran and then at least have a chance to continue. But it's too late instead of going all in for a chance to really compete we're having to rebuild again.

morasp

Reaction score
You mean LG, but this is about right.

I especially agree with adding a rookie RB this year and next, but Im sure Pollard will end up with a second deal. Old habits die hard.
Yes, LG. They met with the top 5 RB prospects at the scouting combine.

LittleD

Reaction score
I tend agree. we have a three year window and you are either all in or just working to be average. we need to fix the OL...no more "we like our guys" and we need some pass rushers and LBs as both positions are thin...

we went 12-5, lost gregory and cooper and wilson, three key players. your rival in the division has 3 first round picks and more cap room than you....what are we waiting for...christmas!!!

We are waiting to tank, fire Mac and bring in the genius named Payton. Jerry has a plan and he needs lots of cap to implement it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes, LG. They met with the top 5 RB prospects at the scouting combine.
Yep....I'm looking at the RB and TE positions being completely remade after the 2023 draft.

Four mid round picks ought to get that done.

The key is getting a well rounded TE in this draft so they don't go doing something truly dumb and lock up Schultz long term a year from now.

His best skill is Dak liking him standing there when he panics.

morasp

Reaction score
Yep....I'm looking at the RB and TE positions being completely remade after the 2023 draft.

Four mid round picks ought to get that done.

The key is getting a well rounded TE in this draft so they don't go doing something truly dumb and lock up Schultz long term a year from now.

His best skill is Dak liking him standing there when he panics.
Sounds good to me. We've had the high flying WR group and it didn't translate in the playoffs. Lamb, Gallup and some other guy will do just fine.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's not the Cowboys front offices style.
They have grown quite conservative in their approach towards free agency
Two reasons:

Due to a number of large contracts, we have limited room to add.

And Jerry and Stephanie have tried everything they know, and it's failed every time, so at this point they are simply lost and don't know what to do. That's why they concentrate so hard on signing their own, they are bewildered, and have no idea why what they're trying doesn't work.

kskboys

Reaction score
We have the money to add two proven players in FA that make our defense better than it was last year right now. It's especially important now that we know the offense is not as powerful as we expected it to be, and now minus Cooper.That doesn't mean we sit back and whisper our "genuine interest" in a player, or whine about the cap being a real thing. It means you go out there and wheel and deal like you really would do anything to win a SB. That isn't this FO. We just sit on our hands and depend on the draft to get us over the top.
Of course. Jerry still believes the triplets won those super bowls. He cannot see past that. He doesn't understand how much a great DLine and OLine meant to those teams. So, in his mind, he went out and got a QB/WR/RB. Why didn't that work? He truly does not know.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Two reasons:

Due to a number of large contracts, we have limited room to add.

And Jerry and Stephanie have tried everything they know, and it's failed every time, so at this point they are simply lost and don't know what to do. That's why they concentrate so hard on signing their own, they are bewildered, and have no idea why what they're trying doesn't work.
We really need a professional GM to run this team, period.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the Jones boys are often behind the times. They say they are all in every year but they handle their roster like they must be more “cap friendly” than “cap aggressive”.

Here are the key questions- if you’re paying your QB top market value to lead your team, why wouldn’t you be aggressive to build around that guy? On the other hand- If your QB is just a “placeholder” for you why did you sign him to such a big deal? These guys don’t act like they know what they want to do other than collect a bunch of players they can market to sell tickets and interest.

That kind of thinking doesn’t win playoff games.
Don't forget, Romo was weak on slants and crosses. Sooooooo, what do we do? Give up big draft choices for a slant running WR in Roy Williams, and then be shocked when Romo couldn't hit him.

kskboys

Reaction score
The cap has nothing to do with their lack of success in the playoffs. They had one of the most talented rosters in the league this past season. They’ve had some very talented rosters over the years that didn’t have playoff success. It’s the head coaches Jerry has hired that’s been a bigger problem than the players he’s signed.
Pssssstttttt.......The front office is responsible for hiring the coaches.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s almost like some on this board don’t even follow the team. The Cowboys were too cap strapped to go all in. They’re losing good players and having to bargain hunt.
It's almost like some don't even follow the team. They don't even realize that the Cowboys are cap strapped due to their own ineptitude.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Adams for one year then gone
They signed Rodgers
What moves have they made to get better
They’ve lost players too
Status quo is fine for them. Not us.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Are you saying that it's impossible to sign two quality players??

I don't agree.