Why are we not all in right now?

conner01

Reaction score
Status quo is fine for them. Not us.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Are you saying that it's impossible to sign two quality players??

I don't agree.
That they aren’t really going all in
The rams did and it paid off
The Packers kept two of their main players but have also lost some
It’s not like they really went all in
And all in is gonna be different for each team too
We have to fill several positions just to be as talented as last year. Getting better is gonna come from hitting in the draft, not FA. We simply aren’t in a cap position to do that
We could probably sign Miller or Wagner but not both
But this draft has a nice group of LB so miller seems the most logical to me
So that gives you an upgrade, but can we upgrade WR, G, DT?
It’s not likely you upgrade all 3 and it’s not gonna be easy to fix with comparable talent

morat1959

Reaction score
Exactly. This is what is so hard for all the Dak bashers to understand. Every QB in the league is overpaid because that is what QB's cost. They act like Dak wouldn't be getting this kind of money from any other team. It's clear they aren't looking at what other teams are paying for QB's both better and worse than Prescott.
Dak sux!

morat1959

Reaction score
Improve the run game, improve the run defense. Rush more than you pass. Dak is 30-0 when they do that.

Draft/Sign a legitimate NT
Draft/Sign a legitimate OC
Draft/Sign a legitimate RG
Draft/Sign a run stuffing LB a real thumper
Draft/Sign a starting caliber RB with fresh legs
In other words, Dak wins in a perfect world. Dak sux!

fivetwos

Reaction score
That they aren’t really going all in
The rams did and it paid off
The Packers kept two of their main players but have also lost some
It’s not like they really went all in
And all in is gonna be different for each team too
We have to fill several positions just to be as talented as last year. Getting better is gonna come from hitting in the draft, not FA. We simply aren’t in a cap position to do that
We could probably sign Miller or Wagner but not both
But this draft has a nice group of LB so miller seems the most logical to me
So that gives you an upgrade, but can we upgrade WR, G, DT?
It’s not likely you upgrade all 3 and it’s not gonna be easy to fix with comparable talent
All I'm saying is that it's not impossible to make a tangible attempt to improve instead of just trying to keep a team together that wasn't good enough.

They are going to have dead money later on just to keep things the way they are, why not attempt to win while you have the QB you like in his prime and the owner who desperately wants a championship pushing 80?

They always count too much on the draft. Rookies aren't gonna get us to the next level even if it's a Parsons type impact. That's been proven.

conner01

Reaction score
All I'm saying is that it's not impossible to make a tangible attempt to improve instead of just trying to keep a team together that wasn't good enough.

They are going to have dead money later on just to keep things the way they are, why not attempt to win while you have the QB you like in his prime and the owner who desperately wants a championship pushing 80?

They always count too much on the draft. Rookies aren't gonna get us to the next level even if it's a Parsons type impact. That's been proven.
I think we have about 30
Got rookies to sign and need money during the season. It’s not gonna be easy

John813

Reaction score
I wonder if they even employ pro scouts.

joking of course, but their public denial of using FA outside of bargain bin players is something else. Not like this team bleeds talent on the yearly.

ghst187

Reaction score
Because we don’t have the roster.
The time to go all in was 2007, 2014, 2016, and then we did in 2020 and ended up albatross’ing ourselves with bad contracts like Jaylon and Zeke

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Lol, this organization is never “all in” to win it all. It’s why they haven’t done anything in 26 years and will continue to barely foot above water. We heard how they had to capitalize with Dak on his rookie contract and did they do that? Nope. This is run by two snake oil salesman that make plenty of money and know how to work the fan base. They are never all in, that’s why they lose every year. Losers mentality. But they are good at making money, and that’s all that’s important to the Jones boys.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Little Stevie Jones.

That's why.

Does Jerry actually think he will be able to convince the world that he was the guy who put it all together as he pushes his 90s?

You've got a 40m QB with three years left. He is overpaid because they are supposedly so hard to come by.

Ok, but since you have that player, isn't this the time to make a push to get better?

We saw what the Rams just did, and I'm not advocating for that.....but Tampa and Green Bay are also going for it now, and how exactly are we to compete with that when we are worried about not having too much dead money down the road?

At some point you have to try to take your shot....and they CAN do it, and do it now....but they seem to choose not to.

Are we content to lose to whoever is going all in at the time as long as we can still do that when it's someone else??

I really don't understand, and also can't see how Jerry thinks he is getting "that Super Bowl" if they don't take some risks.

The kid seems to be beyond conservative, and it's proven to do nothing except maybe get you into the playoffs.

They can't build on success at all......every winning season is followed by a disaster.

I know the kid has a lot of say these days, but I'm surprised Jerry doesn't have more of a desire to take the next step and try to build on last year.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Real free agency hasn't even started, and people are lamenting what is going on.

We have lost Cooper, and now Gregory. We lost Conner WIlliams....the horror!!!!! We lost Cedric Wilson.

We have signed Hooker, and Schultz, and re did Lawrence (who is our best DL by far), resigned Gallup and Noah Brown.

Gregory's loss will hurt some....but come on...his best season and he got six sacks. Throw in his injuries and personal demons, and is that really a guy you want to pay a lot of money to and count on? Let's just see whether we add someone that can be a replacement for him. We were willing to spend the money on him, we should be willing to offer similar money to another guy. I mean, some had Gregory as the best edge guy in free agency....with Chandler Jones, Von Miller and Zadarius Smith behind him. Wouldn't one of those guys be just as good, or maybe even better?

Cooper was more style than substance. He wasn't a game changer in the way Davante Adams is. Or about 10 other top notch receivers. He is good, and it won't be easy to replace his production...but you have to hope that Lamb steps up, that Gallup comes back healthy, and that we draft another WR in a stacked group. I'd still like to see them resign Malik Turner, he showed a little something when he got a chance.

Conner WIlliams for 7m a year? Glad someone else is taking that bite. That could very well be a nice comp pick for next year. Gregory's deal likely is worth a 4th or even a 3rd. I have no problem if we sign a guy that cancels the comp pick, I'd welcome it.

Our holes a year ago were easy to find. We still were soft in the middle against the run. Brown is still a corner that teams pick on...people said he played well and it was only one game that he got roasted. Rewatched the Bucs game and it was brutal how much Brady burnt him. LG was a weakness as was C. McGovern is similar to what we got from Williams. We could likely improve the spot with an early round pick. Wouldn't mind seeing a vet added somewhere along the line. Who know what ends up happening with Lael Collins. THey should move him to LG (been saying this since he went out last year) and put Steele at RT. I think that line is better than what we put out there a year ago and if we draft a guy early we should have some depth. Farniok, Ball, Alarcon and a few others will batter it out for the reserves.

The one guy we had that we need to resign is Kearse. He was the glue on the defense and is more valuable to us than he is to other teams. Hoping we get him redone.

A new K that isn't a head case will make a difference....Zeurlein lost multiple games for us.

Just need to give them a chance and see how things unfold. I had been saying all along that we had plenty of moves to generate cap space. They have done several of them and have more they could use.

I'm not convinced that we can't compete with the best in the NFC.

Thats all fine and dandy if you’re just interested in being relevant and winning games. Who are they signing at this point to actually IMPROVE the defensive line?

I’ll give you there is some OL talent out there, but who outside of Wagner are they signing to IMPROVE the linebackers?

Who is on the market at this point that could legitimately push the Cowboys over the threshold? They couldn’t beat good teams last year. Who is out there at this point they could sign and make you say, “hell yeah, that’s a guy who could push the Cowboys over the hump.”

The Cowboys are cheap to a fault. Say whatever you want about protecting the cap and protecting the future, but the Cowboys haven’t sniffed a Super Bowl in DECADES. At what point do you stop saying “we have to protect our future cap” and actually make a push to win the damn things?

You can’t build exclusively through the draft. It doesn’t work. You have to add elite, proven playmakers.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol, this organization is never “all in” to win it all. It’s why they haven’t done anything in 26 years and will continue to barely foot above water. We heard how they had to capitalize with Dak on his rookie contract and did they do that? Nope. This is run by two snake oil salesman that make plenty of money and know how to work the fan base. They are never all in, that’s why they lose every year. Losers mentality. But they are good at making money, and that’s all that’s important to the Jones boys.
Opposite. We are always all in to win, we just suck at it!!!

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Thats all fine and dandy if you’re just interested in being relevant and winning games. Who are they signing at this point to actually IMPROVE the defensive line?

I’ll give you there is some OL talent out there, but who outside of Wagner are they signing to IMPROVE the linebackers?

Who is on the market at this point that could legitimately push the Cowboys over the threshold? They couldn’t beat good teams last year. Who is out there at this point they could sign and make you say, “hell yeah, that’s a guy who could push the Cowboys over the hump.”

The Cowboys are cheap to a fault. Say whatever you want about protecting the cap and protecting the future, but the Cowboys haven’t sniffed a Super Bowl in DECADES. At what point do you stop saying “we have to protect our future cap” and actually make a push to win the damn things?

You can’t build exclusively through the draft. It doesn’t work. You have to add elite, proven playmakers.

Cheap to a fault? Check out the deals given to Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Tank's prior deal, Martin's deal. Dallas isn't cheap, LOL.

plasticman

Reaction score
Two years in a row and the SB champs have a quarterback they signed the previous season in addition to some other notable veterans. Now everyone thinks this is the formula going forward. They call it "all in."

However, the Rams went to the Super Bowl three seasons prior with Goff and most of last season's lineup. Stafford and Miller, representative of "all in", isn't the reason the Rams won the Super Bowl. The Rams were already a talented team. They were able to peak at the right time.

The Bucs had teh #1 defense and they got Tom Brady. This was not really going "all in". Yes, they added other talent but there were other teams that did more. They simply stayed competitive while Brady mentored them on playoff intensity. it should be remembered that Brady three three consecutive INT's late in the NFC championship game and it was the defense that saved the day.

Going all in does not guarantee a Super Bowl, far from it. There have been some very unlikely Super bowl participants in recent history.

The problem is, after a team goes all in but loses, now they can't improve at the level they need to because they traded away their future opportunity to acquire the talent. They could suffer the consequences for years with nothing to show for it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Two years in a row and the SB champs have a quarterback they signed the previous season in addition to some other notable veterans. Now everyone thinks this is the formula going forward. They call it "all in."
The problem is, after a team goes all in but loses, now they can't improve at the level they need to because they traded away their future opportunity to acquire the talent. They could suffer the consequences for years with nothing to show for it.

Very true, but I would rather my front office be like the Rams and swing for the fences, and yes maybe strike out, then just keep hitting singles to the outfield because just getting on base is good enough.

Its like the old saying, "the greater the risk, the greater the reward". If you want to trade away all your draft pics and go full throttle for a ring, its very risky like you said. However, the payoff could be a Lombardi.

Or a team could decide to build through the draft, sign free agents to modest deals, and just play it safe year in and year out. Very little risk is involved, but very little reward is involved also. See the Cowboys model of team building as an example.

triplets_93

Reaction score
No worries for Jerry. That Businessman will see black no matter who comes and goes from "America's Team."

LittleD

Reaction score
Cowboys are a business, first and always. Winning would be nice but, not necessary since the suckers keep coming and buying stuff. "America's Team" was just a mantra from two decades ago.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Cheap to a fault? Check out the deals given to Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Tank's prior deal, Martin's deal. Dallas isn't cheap, LOL.

They overpay their own, but are cheap to a fault when it comes to ADDING talent, which is the issue.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

However, the Rams went to the Super Bowl three seasons prior with Goff and most of last season's lineup. Stafford and Miller, representative of "all in", isn't the reason the Rams won the Super Bowl. The Rams were already a talented team. They were able to peak at the right time.

The Bucs had teh #1 defense and they got Tom Brady. This was not really going "all in". Yes, they added other talent but there were other teams that did more. They simply stayed competitive while Brady mentored them on playoff intensity. it should be remembered that Brady three three consecutive INT's late in the NFC championship game and it was the defense that saved the day.

Going all in does not guarantee a Super Bowl, far from it. There have been some very unlikely Super bowl participants in recent history.

The Rams and Buccs were both extremely aggressive in FA and trades. Just last year the Rams added Von Miller, Stafford, and OBJ. The year they won it all, the Buccs added the goat, but they also added Gronk, AB, and others.

Neither of these teams just added a QB. And that’s just in the year they won it. They’d both been very aggressive in FA and trades leading up to it. The Rams going after Ramsey just being one example.

They both added significant, proven veteran players. Claiming all they did was add a QB is disingenuous at best.

The Cowboys have not been remotely as aggressive through trades or FA as either of those teams.

I would absolutely rather see the Cowboys go all in, even if they don’t win a ring, and be strapped for a few years, than another two decades of just maintaining relevance. Any team that prefers decades of mediocrity over chasing a ring is absolutely in it for the wrong reasons.

The Joneses don’t care about winning it all. They just want to be good enough to stay relevant and popular. That’s why they won’t go for broke.

The Cowboys are the equivalent of a football sandbox for the Joneses. It’s a part time distraction that keeps their names in the press and makes them feel important.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
*20 million

Other than that, I agree... let's go all in. For someone who would give anything for another super bowl before he croaks...he certainly is not approaching it with any sense of urgency.
Jones’ will do anything to make more $ even if that hurts their chances of winning SB.They’re making bank regardless of what the team does, so why not go for it?