Why are we not all in right now?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Jerry actually think he will be able to convince the world that he was the guy who put it all together as he pushes his 90s?

You've got a 40m QB with three years left. He is overpaid because they are supposedly so hard to come by.

Ok, but since you have that player, isn't this the time to make a push to get better?

We saw what the Rams just did, and I'm not advocating for that.....but Tampa and Green Bay are also going for it now, and how exactly are we to compete with that when we are worried about not having too much dead money down the road?

At some point you have to try to take your shot....and they CAN do it, and do it now....but they seem to choose not to.

Are we content to lose to whoever is going all in at the time as long as we can still do that when it's someone else??

I really don't understand, and also can't see how Jerry thinks he is getting "that Super Bowl" if they don't take some risks.

The kid seems to be beyond conservative, and it's proven to do nothing except maybe get you into the playoffs.

They can't build on success at all......every winning season is followed by a disaster.

I know the kid has a lot of say these days, but I'm surprised Jerry doesn't have more of a desire to take the next step and try to build on last year.

Belichick never operated from an 'All In' mode...

fivetwos

Reaction score
Belichick never operated from an 'All In' mode...
Belichick has himself as HC, which helps just a bit.

I'm not suggesting a Rams model, I'm just surprised that Jerry isn't a little more proactive in trying to get over the hump.

They don't need to deal away all their premium picks to get better, just not be so adverse to dead money down the road.

Either way, they certainly don't appear to be ready to build on 12-5, but take yet another step back.

To what end here? Staying competitive?

That's fine, but at 80, the guy who recently said he was running out of time.....his team is getting worse, not better.

kskboys

Reaction score
Two years in a row and the SB champs have a quarterback they signed the previous season in addition to some other notable veterans. Now everyone thinks this is the formula going forward. They call it "all in."

However, the Rams went to the Super Bowl three seasons prior with Goff and most of last season's lineup. Stafford and Miller, representative of "all in", isn't the reason the Rams won the Super Bowl. The Rams were already a talented team. They were able to peak at the right time.

The Bucs had teh #1 defense and they got Tom Brady. This was not really going "all in". Yes, they added other talent but there were other teams that did more. They simply stayed competitive while Brady mentored them on playoff intensity. it should be remembered that Brady three three consecutive INT's late in the NFC championship game and it was the defense that saved the day.

Going all in does not guarantee a Super Bowl, far from it. There have been some very unlikely Super bowl participants in recent history.

The problem is, after a team goes all in but loses, now they can't improve at the level they need to because they traded away their future opportunity to acquire the talent. They could suffer the consequences for years with nothing to show for it.
And we've already done this a couple times. Cowboys truly thought that Roy Williams, Morris Claiborne, Cooper, Brandon Carr, and Galloway were the final piece and spent major resources to get them. Notice that they're all WR's or CB's.

All these moves hurt us badly. Terrible player and team evaluation.

ICP

Reaction score
We are never all in. Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if Dallas is ever 'In'. The very fact that the Jones are unwilling to spend a little to address a team need during free agency just because they have gotten burned a few times (Just like every other team in the league), shows me that winning doesn't come first. They would rather overpay their own guys that for the most part haven't been able to accomplish anything in 26 years.

That being said, as much as I was hoping for Miller I'm glad we didn't spend money like that on someone that old, but by the same token I'm 99% sure that they also wouldn't have spent on him if he was in his prime either. They will continue to sign JAG's and guys coming off major injuries hoping to hit paydirt.

Last edited:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
We are never all in

Exactly! Read this quote from the Bills GM after signing Miller. Does any of this ring true for our clown duo

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ounces-leaving-los-angeles-join-buffalo-bills

"I'm always gonna put resources in the front. It's just how I believe it should be built," Bills general manager Brandon Beane said earlier this offseason. "And don't ever be shocked if you see us trying to add there, free agency or the draft, at any point."

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Good post and all true but remember, we were good enough to beat the 49er's but Fat Mike was out coached....badly.
And who appointed Fat Mike, Garrett etc.?
No HC can escape the black hole of incompetency that is the Jones FC.

Section446

Reaction score
Psh, with a QB like Dak, you don't need anything else. He's basically Rodgers and Brady combined.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Let me again say I don't want to do what the Rams did.

But would it hurt to at least sign an impact player or two.....for money only, no premium picks involved....and at least give the hope that we can build on last year?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The cap has nothing to do with their lack of success in the playoffs. They had one of the most talented rosters in the league this past season. They’ve had some very talented rosters over the years that didn’t have playoff success. It’s the head coaches Jerry has hired that’s been a bigger problem than the players he’s signed.
And Jerry not knowing the correct coach to hire will change when?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And Jerry not knowing the correct coach to hire will change when?

It’s not about hiring the correct coach is allowing the coach you hire to have enough control to do their job and make a difference. No matter who Jerry hires as head coach we see the same problems. Different coach same results.

morat1959

Reaction score
Cowboys are a business, first and always. Winning would be nice but, not necessary since the suckers keep coming and buying stuff. "America's Team" was just a mantra from two decades ago.
THIS!

IrishAnto

Reaction score
It’s not about hiring the correct coach is allowing the coach you hire to have enough control to do their job and make a difference. No matter who Jerry hires as head coach we see the same problems. Different coach same results.
It's about hiring the correct coach AND letting them do their job, something Jones and his son are unable to do.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's about hiring the correct coach AND letting them do their job, something Jones and his son are unable to do.

Who’s the correct coach? No one knows how it’s going to go with any head coach. Jerry hired McCarthy because he had a good track record and won a Super Bowl. Regardless who Jerry hires as head coach he still has the final say on personnel. Most still feel the head coaches he hires are just spectators. McCarthy is getting paid $4 million per season which is way below the salaries of some of the other head coaches in the league. Sean McVay is getting more than double that. The amount McCarthy makes either points to him not having much control or Jerry refuses to overpay for a HC.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Who’s the correct coach? No one knows how it’s going to go with any head coach. Jerry hired McCarthy because he had a good track record and won a Super Bowl. Regardless who Jerry hires as head coach he still has the final say on personnel. Most still feel the head coaches he hires are just spectators. McCarthy is getting paid $4 million per season which is way below the salaries of some of the other head coaches in the league. Sean McVay is getting more than double that. The amount McCarthy makes either points to him not having much control or Jerry refuses to overpay for a HC.
Of course there is no guarantee that any hire will work, but you have a better chance if you have a good GM. Problem is we don’t.