Why Boston Scott signing with the Rams might matter to us

_sturt_

Reaction score
Let's start with this. We know Jerry very publicly gave fuel to the idea that they would be looking still for opportunities to add to the running back competition via trade.

I present to you Zach Evans... TCU and Ole Miss star, who was a 30 visit guy last year.

The Rams, who picked him just after we picked Deuce in the 2023 6th round, appear to be increasingly less interested in his services.

First, it was noticed by Rams writers that Evans wasn't getting much opportunity last season when injuries arose and it would have been reasonable to expect he'd get the call. Then, this weekend's draft saw the Rams draft Blake Corum in the 3rd round. And with the Rams' signing of Boston Scott yesterday, the easy conclusion is that McVey's enthusiasm for Zach Evans' spot on their roster is in freefall.

AA1nWuR8.img

This was written about the situation before the Scott signing: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...cates-zach-evans-future-with-rams/ar-AA1nWixB

The next easy conclusion is that our people might have interest, emphasis on "might."

On the "pro" side of the sheet, Evans checks the boxes as an NFL prototype ball carrier. He has the right size. He makes defenders miss. He has a burst. And though not what would be considered elite speed, certainly he has enough to take it to the house. From what I understand, he was widely regarded as a 3rd round talent going into last year's draft. And not that this matters, but it's always nice as it occurs... he's a lifelong Cowboys fan in a Houston family loyal to their Texans otherwise.

On the "con" side of the sheet, how did he slide all the way down to the 6th round if he was a 3rd round talent? Why didn't we take him instead of Deuce? And now, why are the Rams seeming to sour on the kid this quickly?

Now, who knows... maybe it was him or Deuce being debated in the war room, and Deuce got the nod based on the previously existing familial relationship. And maybe the Rams have seemed to sour based on some factors that, in fairness to him, are not totally his fault. That would be the benefit of a doubt attitude, of course... which, me, I prefer unless/until proven otherwise. But this much seems to be established: Evans did not come out of school with satisfactory marks for pass catching or QB protection... and it certainly seems likely, then, that he's made little progress in those ways in LA.

Earlier this week, I'd proposed that maybe our FO would take some interest in the Jets' similar souring on Izzy Abanikanda... who, now, also faces the prospect of being #4 or lower on his team's RB depth chart. I still figure that's a legit thing to pay attention to. But I think it only makes sense to add Evans now to that conversation.

Would it be a little odd, having just signed Royce Freeman who competed with him for snaps with LAR? "Yes," a little, but more "no." I'm among those who consider that signing to be more about giving Luepke competition for a FB/ST role--they are approximately the same player in reality, except one is old and one is young. If Freeman somehow makes the team, it's more about Luepke's lack of progress or about Luepke's availability. Evans would only make the roster if he were to decisively beat out Deuce or if Dowdle (*knock on wood*) would have some unfortunate return to availability concerns (... I dare not use the "I" word). And he could, but I'm bullish on Deuce, me, proving to be the unique and productive talent we were envisioning this time last year.

Rather, if it were to happen, I'd think Evans would be obtained with an eye toward developing him on the practice squad for next season, when Zeke and Dowdle both could be somewhere else... but with the hope that, to the contrary, he would force himself on to the roster after all.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Nice write up…

Honestly nothing would surprise me here but I truly believe our FO is dumb enough to think what we have currently, is enough.

This FO tries very hard to emulate winning franchises instead of creating a winning narrative themselves. They said it earlier, they’ve seen other teams win without RB investment, so we will imitate what they do.

They won’t even pay Ceedee until they see what other teams pay their guys. It’s embarrassing.

_sturt_

Reaction score
@DanTanna ... is this some of what you're getting at?

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article274777501.html

Well taken. But "absolute malcontent" and "cancer" seem to go beyond what Engel was alleging back when he wrote what he wrote... I'm more inclined to just say there have been some maturity issues out of some false sense of superiority. That's bad. But that's not something that players never grow out of, necessarily. If you have the right authority figures in a locker room who set the standards of expectations, it's more that possible. It happens. I doubt he had that in either of his college stops. I look at the Rams, and I doubt he had that there, either. On the other hand, it's pretty easy for me to imagine Zeke big brother-ing a kid like him, and being brutally candid, and compelling the kid to a higher sense of accountability. Just sayin.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
At this point I’d just see how it goes in camp. It seams the league is moving towards udfa RBs, just throw someone in behind a good line. So, I’m taking Zeke out of it. Dowdle, Peak, Vaughn plus whoever they pick up during roster cuts….it'll be that group in a rotation. Dallas doesn’t want to run the ball this year they want to tank.

MikeT22

Reaction score
At this point I’d just see how it goes in camp. It seams the league is moving towards udfa RBs, just throw someone in behind a good line. So, I’m taking Zeke out of it. Dowdle, Peak, Vaughn plus whoever they pick up during roster cuts….it'll be that group in a rotation. Dallas doesn’t want to run the ball this year they want to tank.
Where do you all come up with this stuff?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not sure Evans moves the needle. I mean, if they cut him and we want to pick him up, I have no problem with that because we should turn over every stone. I just think there are going to be some players who've accomplished more that will shake loose or at least be available for trade in the preseason. I'd rather just wait until then.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Maybe the Cowboys didn't like his 30 visit. That would explain everything.
On the "con" side of the sheet, how did he slide all the way down to the 6th round if he was a 3rd round talent? Why didn't we take him instead of Deuce? And now, why are the Rams seeming to sour on the kid this quickly?
(That was essentially acknowledged.)

I'm not sure Evans moves the needle. I mean, if they cut him and we want to pick him up, I have no problem with that because we should turn over every stone. I just think there are going to be some players who've accomplished more that will shake loose or at least be available for trade in the preseason. I'd rather just wait until then.
Yeah, that's fair. I'm just brainstorming what options in the trade market there could possibly be.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Zach Evan’s is an absolute malcontent. We do not want that cancer in our locker room. Just google him and his history. Nope.
Exactly. And to answer Sturt’s question in the opening post, this is why he slid in the draft. Stay away. We took a 4’-3” RB over him because of Evan’s character.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’d give up a 7th (maybe a 6th) for Evans or Izzy…but it wouldn’t really change my mind about the RB position honestly. More of a “why not roll the dice because we have no other options.”
Ya Evans would basically be competing with Duece and the UDFA for the last roster spot

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Exactly, he was a sixth round pick that averaged 2.1 a carry. If the Rams let him go it's because he still hasn't performed well.

Just like Deuce with the Cowboys, if he doesn't perform well this year he's likely to be let go.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Exactly, he was a sixth round pick that averaged 2.1 a carry. If the Rams let him go it's because he still hasn't performed well.
To be fair to the player, it's really not clear that he's been given much opportunity. Go look at the very few snaps he's ever had with a Rams helmet on his head... at least from those camera angles, it really doesn't appear he's played with an O-line that created any room to run at all.

I'm inclined to think what I said I'm inclined to think... if you didn't come into the league with a rep for being much of a receiving threat, that's one thing... if you didn't come into the league with a rep for protecting your QB, that's another and bigger thing. Until proven otherwise, I feel safe to presume that that's been what's kept Evans off the field from McVey's perspective.

Just like Deuce
Indeed, it's just like Deuce, truly, with the exception of a few preseason snaps that Deuce got last year where he got some blocking and really did show he's capable.

To my mind, certainly, you'd love to have someone drop in your lap that's had a 5.0 per carry in recent history, and who's proven productive even when he wasn't carrying the ball... but failing that... and that seems likely of course... seems you'd like to give preseason carries to Deuce and one other plausible prospect to see who deserves a slot in the RB depth chart. I'm on the Deuce train, myself, but for the team's sake, it seems wise to not presume he's going to impress so convincingly that you're willing to overlook his unavoidable pass protection deficit.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Hey Sturt,
I want to first commend you on picking this up and writing a good thread and post, leading to some good discussion.
This board needs more of this.
Finding a guy who didn't fit with the team that selected him and giving him a 2nd chance is something the Cowboys need to look at.

I liked Evans and was very surprised he fell to the 6th last year, and that we passed him up.
Reading more about him it looks like their could be some maturity issues.
I think he and Duece are totally different types of backs, so they could coexist.
I remember last year liking Bigby, Charbonnet, Miller, Roschon and Evans, and hoping we'd end up with one of them. I liked Achane too just thought he was too much like Pollard and we needed a bigger back to compliment him.
I like the idea of a big, first and 2nd down back. A powerful runner, solid receiver and blocker (Zeke type but 5 years ago lol), paired with a finesse guy who can be a change up in the run game and can be used more in the pass game (Pollard/Achane type).
I always felt we didn't use Pollard to his full abilities, and tried to square peg, round hole him so to speak by making him the feature guy in the run game. I liked Braelon Allemn this year and was a little bummed we passed on him.
Still think we need a long term answer at RB1, so nice pick up on Evans as a possibility.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
To be fair to the player, it's really not clear that he's been given much opportunity. Go look at the very few snaps he's ever had with a Rams helmet on his head... at least from those camera angles, it really doesn't appear he's played with an O-line that created any room to run at all.

I'm inclined to think what I said I'm inclined to think... if you didn't come into the league with a rep for being much of a receiving threat, that's one thing... if you didn't come into the league with a rep for protecting your QB, that's another and bigger thing. Until proven otherwise, I feel safe to presume that that's been what's kept Evans off the field from McVey's perspective.

Indeed, it's just like Deuce, truly, with the exception of a few preseason snaps that Deuce got last year where he got some blocking and really did show he's capable.

To my mind, certainly, you'd love to have someone drop in your lap that's had a 5.0 per carry in recent history, and who's proven productive even when he wasn't carrying the ball... but failing that... and that seems likely of course... seems you'd like to give preseason carries to Deuce and one other plausible prospect to see who deserves a slot in the RB depth chart. I'm on the Deuce train, myself, but for the team's sake, it seems wise to not presume he's going to impress so convincingly that you're willing to overlook his unavoidable pass protection deficit.
Kyren Williams somehow managed 5.0 a carry behind that line for 1144 yards.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hey Sturt,
I want to first commend you on picking this up and writing a good thread and post, leading to some good discussion.
This board needs more of this.
Finding a guy who didn't fit with the team that selected him and giving him a 2nd chance is something the Cowboys need to look at.

I liked Evans and was very surprised he fell to the 6th last year, and that we passed him up.
Reading more about him it looks like their could be some maturity issues.
I think he and Duece are totally different types of backs, so they could coexist.
I remember last year liking Bigby, Charbonnet, Miller, Roschon and Evans, and hoping we'd end up with one of them. I liked Achane too just thought he was too much like Pollard and we needed a bigger back to compliment him.
I like the idea of a big, first and 2nd down back. A powerful runner, solid receiver and blocker (Zeke type but 5 years ago lol), paired with a finesse guy who can be a change up in the run game and can be used more in the pass game (Pollard/Achane type).
I always felt we didn't use Pollard to his full abilities, and tried to square peg, round hole him so to speak by making him the feature guy in the run game. I liked Braelon Allemn this year and was a little bummed we passed on him.
Still think we need a long term answer at RB1, so nice pick up on Evans as a possibility.
There was something about him in the draft I think and I'm not sure he was even on the Cowboys board.