Why Boston Scott signing with the Rams might matter to us

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let's start with this. We know Jerry very publicly gave fuel to the idea that they would be looking still for opportunities to add to the running back competition via trade.

I present to you Zach Evans... TCU and Ole Miss star, who was a 30 visit guy last year.

The Rams, who picked him just after we picked Deuce in the 2023 6th round, appear to be increasingly less interested in his services.

First, it was noticed by Rams writers that Evans wasn't getting much opportunity last season when injuries arose and it would have been reasonable to expect he'd get the call. Then, this weekend's draft saw the Rams draft Blake Corum in the 3rd round. And with the Rams' signing of Boston Scott yesterday, the easy conclusion is that McVey's enthusiasm for Zach Evans' spot on their roster is in freefall.

AA1nWuR8.img

This was written about the situation before the Scott signing: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...cates-zach-evans-future-with-rams/ar-AA1nWixB

The next easy conclusion is that our people might have interest, emphasis on "might."

On the "pro" side of the sheet, Evans checks the boxes as an NFL prototype ball carrier. He has the right size. He makes defenders miss. He has a burst. And though not what would be considered elite speed, certainly he has enough to take it to the house. From what I understand, he was widely regarded as a 3rd round talent going into last year's draft. And not that this matters, but it's always nice as it occurs... he's a lifelong Cowboys fan in a Houston family loyal to their Texans otherwise.

On the "con" side of the sheet, how did he slide all the way down to the 6th round if he was a 3rd round talent? Why didn't we take him instead of Deuce? And now, why are the Rams seeming to sour on the kid this quickly?

Now, who knows... maybe it was him or Deuce being debated in the war room, and Deuce got the nod based on the previously existing familial relationship. And maybe the Rams have seemed to sour based on some factors that, in fairness to him, are not totally his fault. That would be the benefit of a doubt attitude, of course... which, me, I prefer unless/until proven otherwise. But this much seems to be established: Evans did not come out of school with satisfactory marks for pass catching or QB protection... and it certainly seems likely, then, that he's made little progress in those ways in LA.

Earlier this week, I'd proposed that maybe our FO would take some interest in the Jets' similar souring on Izzy Abanikanda... who, now, also faces the prospect of being #4 or lower on his team's RB depth chart. I still figure that's a legit thing to pay attention to. But I think it only makes sense to add Evans now to that conversation.

Would it be a little odd, having just signed Royce Freeman who competed with him for snaps with LAR? "Yes," a little, but more "no." I'm among those who consider that signing to be more about giving Luepke competition for a FB/ST role--they are approximately the same player in reality, except one is old and one is young. If Freeman somehow makes the team, it's more about Luepke's lack of progress or about Luepke's availability. Evans would only make the roster if he were to decisively beat out Deuce or if Dowdle (*knock on wood*) would have some unfortunate return to availability concerns (... I dare not use the "I" word). And he could, but I'm bullish on Deuce, me, proving to be the unique and productive talent we were envisioning this time last year.

Rather, if it were to happen, I'd think Evans would be obtained with an eye toward developing him on the practice squad for next season, when Zeke and Dowdle both could be somewhere else... but with the hope that, to the contrary, he would force himself on to the roster after all.
That's a really long write up just to say there might be another running back available we should look at that we were interested in last year at these cut lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Kyren Williams somehow managed 5.0 a carry behind that line for 1144 yards.
Yeah they missed him when that guy was out hurt they literally didn't look like the same offense as soon as he came back you can see the difference

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hey Sturt,
I want to first commend you on picking this up and writing a good thread and post, leading to some good discussion.
This board needs more of this.
Finding a guy who didn't fit with the team that selected him and giving him a 2nd chance is something the Cowboys need to look at.

I liked Evans and was very surprised he fell to the 6th last year, and that we passed him up.
Reading more about him it looks like their could be some maturity issues.
I think he and Duece are totally different types of backs, so they could coexist.
I remember last year liking Bigby, Charbonnet, Miller, Roschon and Evans, and hoping we'd end up with one of them. I liked Achane too just thought he was too much like Pollard and we needed a bigger back to compliment him.
I like the idea of a big, first and 2nd down back. A powerful runner, solid receiver and blocker (Zeke type but 5 years ago lol), paired with a finesse guy who can be a change up in the run game and can be used more in the pass game (Pollard/Achane type).
I always felt we didn't use Pollard to his full abilities, and tried to square peg, round hole him so to speak by making him the feature guy in the run game. I liked Braelon Allemn this year and was a little bummed we passed on him.
Still think we need a long term answer at RB1, so nice pick up on Evans as a possibility.
Both of have said very very worded stuff just to say there might be another running back they should look at but you do know that what you said at the beginning,

I think Royce would fit that, I mean we just picked up one of their ex running backs we haven't even seen them in action also Nathaniel Peat the undrafted guy, we need to give him a chance how many running backs are you going to bring I think we have 7 right now if you include hunter the fullback...

so, while they need to keep their eyes open, I don't think they need to bring anybody else in for camp I think right now you need to let these guys compete give our own guys on this roster right now a chance to see who comes out on top..

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly. I don't see the need to upgrade the running back staff this year at all. You got Zeke for pass blocking/short yds the rest can be running back by committee
We ain't going to the Super Bowl folks.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Let's start with this. We know Jerry very publicly gave fuel to the idea that they would be looking still for opportunities to add to the running back competition via trade.

I present to you Zach Evans... TCU and Ole Miss star, who was a 30 visit guy last year.

The Rams, who picked him just after we picked Deuce in the 2023 6th round, appear to be increasingly less interested in his services.

First, it was noticed by Rams writers that Evans wasn't getting much opportunity last season when injuries arose and it would have been reasonable to expect he'd get the call. Then, this weekend's draft saw the Rams draft Blake Corum in the 3rd round. And with the Rams' signing of Boston Scott yesterday, the easy conclusion is that McVey's enthusiasm for Zach Evans' spot on their roster is in freefall.

AA1nWuR8.img

This was written about the situation before the Scott signing: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...cates-zach-evans-future-with-rams/ar-AA1nWixB

The next easy conclusion is that our people might have interest, emphasis on "might."

On the "pro" side of the sheet, Evans checks the boxes as an NFL prototype ball carrier. He has the right size. He makes defenders miss. He has a burst. And though not what would be considered elite speed, certainly he has enough to take it to the house. From what I understand, he was widely regarded as a 3rd round talent going into last year's draft. And not that this matters, but it's always nice as it occurs... he's a lifelong Cowboys fan in a Houston family loyal to their Texans otherwise.

On the "con" side of the sheet, how did he slide all the way down to the 6th round if he was a 3rd round talent? Why didn't we take him instead of Deuce? And now, why are the Rams seeming to sour on the kid this quickly?

Now, who knows... maybe it was him or Deuce being debated in the war room, and Deuce got the nod based on the previously existing familial relationship. And maybe the Rams have seemed to sour based on some factors that, in fairness to him, are not totally his fault. That would be the benefit of a doubt attitude, of course... which, me, I prefer unless/until proven otherwise. But this much seems to be established: Evans did not come out of school with satisfactory marks for pass catching or QB protection... and it certainly seems likely, then, that he's made little progress in those ways in LA.

Earlier this week, I'd proposed that maybe our FO would take some interest in the Jets' similar souring on Izzy Abanikanda... who, now, also faces the prospect of being #4 or lower on his team's RB depth chart. I still figure that's a legit thing to pay attention to. But I think it only makes sense to add Evans now to that conversation.

Would it be a little odd, having just signed Royce Freeman who competed with him for snaps with LAR? "Yes," a little, but more "no." I'm among those who consider that signing to be more about giving Luepke competition for a FB/ST role--they are approximately the same player in reality, except one is old and one is young. If Freeman somehow makes the team, it's more about Luepke's lack of progress or about Luepke's availability. Evans would only make the roster if he were to decisively beat out Deuce or if Dowdle (*knock on wood*) would have some unfortunate return to availability concerns (... I dare not use the "I" word). And he could, but I'm bullish on Deuce, me, proving to be the unique and productive talent we were envisioning this time last year.

Rather, if it were to happen, I'd think Evans would be obtained with an eye toward developing him on the practice squad for next season, when Zeke and Dowdle both could be somewhere else... but with the hope that, to the contrary, he would force himself on to the roster after all.
I'm from the Houston area and Zach was the truth coming out of high school, I think he was the number 1 running back in the country. I was hoping we drafted him late in last years draft but we took Deuce instead.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not sure Evans moves the needle. I mean, if they cut him and we want to pick him up, I have no problem with that because we should turn over every stone. I just think there are going to be some players who've accomplished more that will shake loose or at least be available for trade in the preseason. I'd rather just wait until then.
There are gonna be cuts. Teams that drafted a RB, DT or what ever will be cutting guys. FA isn’t over. Just gotta hope Jerry is in the buying mood.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There are gonna be cuts. Teams that drafted a RB, DT or what ever will be cutting guys. FA isn’t over. Just gotta hope Jerry is in the buying mood.
Depends on the backs. Some of the better ones that are being replaced will be traded for late-round picks.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Building a team from guys other teams don’t want is not very encouraging.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

AA1nWuR8.img

Hmmm… You know I'm going to ponder this as soon as I fix the carburetor in my electric car.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Building an entire team, true.

Selectively looking at relatively young players rejected by the team that drafted them and who might be legit competitors to fill specific needs?

Just a sec... Marc Columbo is on the phone, be right back...

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
If we could pick up Abanikanda from the Jets, I'd be cool with that !
Weird how he also seems to have fallen out with his team.
I was interested in him as he fell in last year's draft.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I'm an Ibanakanda fan as well. He just needs consistent touches, and he will get it going. He is in a tough spot in NY with Hall in front of him.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Abanikanda
From what I read from Jets bloggers, it's much the same as Evans in that he's not impressed anyone with his receiving or pass protection progress evidently.

But do you give up on a player so quickly?

Well, I suppose you might, as long as you drafted him on Day 3.

I have to agree, though, with those who've said something like "let's wait and see if the guy gets released, rather than trade for him just so we don't have to compete with other teams for him." These are, again, Day 3 guys. We're not talking about talents that automatically should be considered ready to challenge for RB1 or even RB2. It's overpaying really to even sacrifice a future 7th rounder, imo, under the circumstances.

conner01

Reaction score
Fowler was one that worked out. Hankins was one. Older vets get cut for younger guys and if you want cheap guys that can help they will be there

quickccc

Reaction score
Seems more about Zach Evans than Boston Scott .... is this Evans JAG ..? ...Special teams value ?

Are these just back of the rosters guys we are talkin' about ?