Why Boston Scott signing with the Rams might matter to us

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Let's start with this. We know Jerry very publicly gave fuel to the idea that they would be looking still for opportunities to add to the running back competition via trade.

I present to you Zach Evans... TCU and Ole Miss star, who was a 30 visit guy last year.

The Rams, who picked him just after we picked Deuce in the 2023 6th round, appear to be increasingly less interested in his services.

First, it was noticed by Rams writers that Evans wasn't getting much opportunity last season when injuries arose and it would have been reasonable to expect he'd get the call. Then, this weekend's draft saw the Rams draft Blake Corum in the 3rd round. And with the Rams' signing of Boston Scott yesterday, the easy conclusion is that McVey's enthusiasm for Zach Evans' spot on their roster is in freefall.

AA1nWuR8.img

This was written about the situation before the Scott signing: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...cates-zach-evans-future-with-rams/ar-AA1nWixB

The next easy conclusion is that our people might have interest, emphasis on "might."

On the "pro" side of the sheet, Evans checks the boxes as an NFL prototype ball carrier. He has the right size. He makes defenders miss. He has a burst. And though not what would be considered elite speed, certainly he has enough to take it to the house. From what I understand, he was widely regarded as a 3rd round talent going into last year's draft. And not that this matters, but it's always nice as it occurs... he's a lifelong Cowboys fan in a Houston family loyal to their Texans otherwise.

On the "con" side of the sheet, how did he slide all the way down to the 6th round if he was a 3rd round talent? Why didn't we take him instead of Deuce? And now, why are the Rams seeming to sour on the kid this quickly?

Now, who knows... maybe it was him or Deuce being debated in the war room, and Deuce got the nod based on the previously existing familial relationship. And maybe the Rams have seemed to sour based on some factors that, in fairness to him, are not totally his fault. That would be the benefit of a doubt attitude, of course... which, me, I prefer unless/until proven otherwise. But this much seems to be established: Evans did not come out of school with satisfactory marks for pass catching or QB protection... and it certainly seems likely, then, that he's made little progress in those ways in LA.

Earlier this week, I'd proposed that maybe our FO would take some interest in the Jets' similar souring on Izzy Abanikanda... who, now, also faces the prospect of being #4 or lower on his team's RB depth chart. I still figure that's a legit thing to pay attention to. But I think it only makes sense to add Evans now to that conversation.

Would it be a little odd, having just signed Royce Freeman who competed with him for snaps with LAR? "Yes," a little, but more "no." I'm among those who consider that signing to be more about giving Luepke competition for a FB/ST role--they are approximately the same player in reality, except one is old and one is young. If Freeman somehow makes the team, it's more about Luepke's lack of progress or about Luepke's availability. Evans would only make the roster if he were to decisively beat out Deuce or if Dowdle (*knock on wood*) would have some unfortunate return to availability concerns (... I dare not use the "I" word). And he could, but I'm bullish on Deuce, me, proving to be the unique and productive talent we were envisioning this time last year.

Rather, if it were to happen, I'd think Evans would be obtained with an eye toward developing him on the practice squad for next season, when Zeke and Dowdle both could be somewhere else... but with the hope that, to the contrary, he would force himself on to the roster after all.
There will be some good young backs out there available before the season starts and possibly after.

Verdict

Reaction score
My bet is Zeke is the starter and Rico plays the TP role. Awful, but very likely. Jerry is enamored by Zeke folks.
If Zeke still has no burst, he’s going to be hard pressed to be a serviceable starter. It’s amazing how he lost his burst so quickly. Could it be due to lack of conditioning, or other health factors?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If Zeke still has no burst, he’s going to be hard pressed to be a serviceable starter. It’s amazing how he lost his burst so quickly. Could it be due to lack of conditioning, or other health factors?
Bulking up and tread on tires extending from college caused it.

_sturt_

Reaction score
There will be some good young backs out there available before the season starts and possibly after.
I'm less inclined toward this. Look at the RBs left in free agency. If any of those guys force someone out of an RB slot, it seriously brings into question how talented the guy is who one of them forces out.

I think, rather, you can see who are the RB4s on the depth charts, filter those by (a) whether they were ever deemed worthy of being drafted in the first place, and (b) whether they are considered to have any speed at this point in their careers (... I forget who said it, but I believe it was one of the scouts, that their focus if/when they would ever add to the RB room, speed would be the priority).

The only other thing that plausibly could happen is if a speedy UDFA showed up in someone's camp, and turned heads, but eventually got cut after all... or, forced off the roster a speedster. But it goes without saying, that doesn't happen very much.

So, I think there could be a third name someway somehow, but we only have reason for some confidence that Evans and Abanikanda will be options.