Why Can't Dallas Field a Good Offense & Defense At The Same Time

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not sure what they call it officially but it's total yards against.

I find things like total points, points per drive, turnovers per drive, negative play rate, and 3rd down efficiency to be better indicators of defensive performance. We performed well above average with a more comprehensive sample.
Take points out of the equation. Too many factors involved to be accurate.

Add in YPC and QB pressures and yds allowed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Absolutely, but that takes much indepth analysis.

What does handwave mean?

Google said:
Hand-waving (with various spellings) is a pejorative label for attempting to be seen as effective – in word, reasoning, or deed – while actually doing nothing effective or substantial.[1] It is most often applied to debate techniques that involve fallacies, misdirection and the glossing over of details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand-waving

Seems about right.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because stephen only signs players he drafted to big contracts. And the likely hood of drafting enough good players without also hitting in free agency is too much. You need to do both. They also choose to roll with good enough instead of adding help to address a weakness during the season. The rams may not have gotten to or have won the SB if they didn't add some talent during last years run, but the cowboys do not do this very often. The last time they added more than a fringe player was when they traded for cooper. It's just another form of player aquisition the jones boys do not believe in using to try and win.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'll tell you why... They over compensate.. When the offense was putrid, especially the Oline. They used a bunch of resources to fix the line. Problem solved. But the defense got old quick. Then they have to use a whole entire draft to fix the defense.. Things are looking up.. Now we got a old slow Zeke, 1 WR and Oline is looking a mess. Now its time to fix the Offense..

With the Jones method of team building (Draft only with little to no activity in free agency) it is extremely difficult to field a top flight team. We have seen that draft only can generally keep the Cowboys in the top half of the league and competitive every season, but without wading into the FA pool it becomes a nearly impossible task to enter true Superbowl contender status. By completely ignoring half of the team building equation the Jones' are not doing themselves any favors.

Sometimes you have to swing for the fences to have a shot at winning it all. On occasion you will swing and miss. Other times you connect and it can bring a Superbowl. A good GM can tell when their team is truly a player or two away from a championship and is willing to acquire the assets necessary to get there however that requires an acceptance of risk at some level and our front office has proven to be very risk averse.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'll tell you why... They over compensate.. When the offense was putrid, especially the Oline. They used a bunch of resources to fix the line. Problem solved. But the defense got old quick. Then they have to use a whole entire draft to fix the defense.. Things are looking up.. Now we got a old slow Zeke, 1 WR and Oline is looking a mess. Now its time to fix the Offense..
The pendulum swings back and forth.
We just don't have a quality front office.
They mean well, just are not up to the task.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you going to handwave and insist on the total yardage stat? There are other columns in the stat sheets you can sort by.
The other categories are definitely important contributing factors which illustrates an improvement but the overall ranking is always based on total yards. Which has been the measurement for all of the great defenses in NFL history. Unless you’re prepared to rewrite history.

19th ranked was a significant improvement from near the bottom in 2021. Turnovers played a key part in the improvement. And scoring defense. But the total yards represents unfortunately how we were still gashed which provides opponents to move the chains and place themselves with more opportunities to score while keeping our offense off the field.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Two words............JERRY JONES

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Zeke is neither old nor slow

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I think it is rare to field a good offense and defense. Usually good teams have 1 really good or excellent side, and it helps the other look good. Special teams helps both look good

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The other categories are definitely important contributing factors which illustrates an improvement but the overall ranking is always based on total yards. Which has been the measurement for all of the great defenses in NFL history. Unless you’re prepared to rewrite history.

19th ranked was a significant improvement from near the bottom in 2021. Turnovers played a key part in the improvement. And scoring defense. But the total yards represents unfortunately how we were still gashed which provides opponents to move the chains and place themselves with more opportunities to score while keeping our offense off the field.

Huh?

What history? The one you're making up in your head?

I know one history you are ignoring is the recent revolution in statistics that has been going on in sports over the past 30 years.

At the end of the day, total yards doesn't correlate as well to points or wins as opposed to the stats I listed. Have fun creating your history.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Huh?

What history? The one you're making up in your head?

I know one history you are ignoring is the recent revolution in statistics that has been going on in sports over the past 30 years.

At the end of the day, total yards doesn't correlate as well to points or wins as opposed to the stats I listed. Have fun creating your history.
Like I said, you’re the one who wants to rewrite history not acknowledging the official NFL stats ranking .

Scoring is flawed as the ultimate measurement because the offense and special teams can also give up points. And why the league doesn’t use it as official measurement. That said it can be an important contributing factor though much like turnovers are.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
this year might be the closest they've come to balanced on both sides.

Exactly, you dont need the #1 offense if you dont have the worst run stopping defense in the league. Lets see what can happen when they both can hold thier own. Heres the thing everyone talks about "Running the ball" and "Sustaining drives" then looses thier mind when we let a WR walk becaues we need to readjust the focus back to the thing they asked for....no doubt I am cautious of the DT's as anyone but if they do come along this year we could have a great "All Phases team" thats what your looking for.