Why Cutting Carter was a Blunder

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Why Cutting Carter was a Blunder:

1) They cut a hard working, popular young QB. Who was headed into 4th season as starter and had led team to 10-6. Player with upside. VT 41 and on obvious downside of career.

2) Players were lost that Carter was dumped like that, VT was GIVEN the job. Sugar mentioned the team was not onboard with this move.

3) It forced Dallas to play the entire season with a 41 year old backup forced to start. Worse yet ZERO Backup’s ready to play an NFL game. Terrible roster mgmt.

4) They offered Carter a contract admitting they F’D Up? If so – Calamity mistake.

5) JJ cutting a player before he’s even reached a 4 game suspension is a JOKE with his background. Carter has been a model player in New York – hard working, no problems. With a 98 Qb rating, 3TD’s and only 1 Interception, he led Jets to 2-1 and team should have been 3-0 but coaches blew calls at end of half, game.

6) This was a JJ slap at Parcells. Parcells embarrassed him by going Carter over Hutch. JJ was feeling oates that his Henson was “Ready” now. This was the chance for JJ to get Parcells – cut his boy Carter. Parcells retorts by naming VT starter and Romo #2 to start season.

7) What was the risk in keeping Carter? He fails a “test” you are back to what we had . VT and two rookies not ready to play. Play Carter – Keep team unity and frakin keep VT where he belongs on sidelines talking to Henson/Romo.

There was no down side to keeping Carter. JJ continues to top blunder upon blunder over a pile of blunders. There is no doubt we would be in playoffs with Carter. Instead we are a 6 win team – and that 6 is an overachieved 6 wins.

What will JJ do at QB next year, If allowed I’m sure he'll blunder again. Think worst case scenario and go there. Whats next, send Scouts to Dominican and look for the best ballplayers that have played football? I hope when Wolf was brought in JJ listened

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Uh oh....

I bet I could reach my 1000th post on this thread alone, but it's too early in the mourning for this type of heat, so I am going to get out of the kitchen :eek: .

Good luck Nors :D

- Mike G.

Reaction score
Then again....maybe everybody just realized that Quincy wasn't very good?

He also had an attitude to go with it, and Parcells didn't appreciate it.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:

1) They cut a hard working, popular young QB. Who was headed into 4th season as starter and had led team to 10-6. Player with upside. VT 41 and on obvious downside of career.

2) Players were lost that Carter was dumped like that, VT was GIVEN the job. Sugar mentioned the team was not onboard with this move.

3) It forced Dallas to play the entire season with a 41 year old backup forced to start. Worse yet ZERO Backup’s ready to play an NFL game. Terrible roster mgmt.

4) They offered Carter a contract admitting they F’D Up? If so – Calamity mistake.

5) JJ cutting a player before he’s even reached a 4 game suspension is a JOKE with his background. Carter has been a model player in New York – hard working, no problems. With a 98 Qb rating, 3TD’s and only 1 Interception, he led Jets to 2-1 and team should have been 3-0 but coaches blew calls at end of half, game.

6) This was a JJ slap at Parcells. Parcells embarrassed him by going Carter over Hutch. JJ was feeling oates that his Henson was “Ready” now. This was the chance for JJ to get Parcells – cut his boy Carter. Parcells retorts by naming VT starter and Romo #2 to start season.

7) What was the risk in keeping Carter? He fails a “test” you are back to what we had . VT and two rookies not ready to play. Play Carter – Keep team unity and frakin keep VT where he belongs on sidelines talking to Henson/Romo.

There was no down side to keeping Carter. JJ continues to top blunder upon blunder over a pile of blunders. There is no doubt we would be in playoffs with Carter. Instead we are a 6 win team – and that 6 is an overachieved 6 wins.

What will JJ do at QB next year, If allowed I’m sure he blunder again. Think worst case scenario and go there. Whats next, send Scouts to Dominican and look for the best ballplayers that have played football? I hope when Wolf was brought in JJ listened

1. Popular? Not a chance. You will find 3 times the amount of haters than supporters. Upside? Very debatable. Hard working. Yes, I will give you that. He just couldnt take what he learned and put it out on the field. Nothing more than a short bus driver.

2. This is Bills team. :eek:

3. At the time of Carters release who else was out there? Jeff George? Hutch? Hindsight is always better.

4. True. IF the report is true

5. Jets have offensive talent. Carter here with George running the ball? Same situation as last year. With a worse defense.

6. ?? Reaching for something?

7. Carter here and we make the playoffs? Puff, puff, give. The defense took us to the playoffs last year. Dont let a 4 game sample tease you. Afterall, we had the number 1 offense last year for a few games, too.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Nors said:
Why Cutting Carter was a Blunder: This should be good...

1) They cut a hard working, popular young QB. Who was headed into 4th season as starter and had led team to 10-6. Player with upside. VT 41 and on obvious downside of career. How did Carter lead us to the playoffs? He was dragged kicking and screaming to the playoffs by our defense.

2) Players were lost that Carter was dumped like that, VT was GIVEN the job. Sugar mentioned the team was not onboard with this move. A few players weren't onboard.

3) It forced Dallas to play the entire season with a 41 year old backup forced to start. Worse yet ZERO Backup’s ready to play an NFL game. Terrible roster mgmt. Agreed. We didn't have a starting caliber QB at any point after the draft...

4) They offered Carter a contract admitting they F’D Up? If so – Calamity mistake. Where is the evidence?

5) JJ cutting a player before he’s even reached a 4 game suspension is a JOKE with his background. Carter has been a model player in New York – hard working, no problems. With a 98 Qb rating, 3TD’s and only 1 Interception, he led Jets to 2-1 and team should have been 3-0 but coaches blew calls at end of half, game. WHere do you get the idea he was a model player? The team couldn't wait to get Pennington back.

6) This was a JJ slap at Parcells. Parcells embarrassed him by going Carter over Hutch. JJ was feeling oates that his Henson was “Ready” now. This was the chance for JJ to get Parcells – cut his boy Carter. Parcells retorts by naming VT starter and Romo #2 to start season. Pure speculation.

7) What was the risk in keeping Carter? He fails a “test” you are back to what we had . VT and two rookies not ready to play. Play Carter – Keep team unity and frakin keep VT where he belongs on sidelines talking to Henson/Romo. Carter is supposed to be the qb of the team. I don't want to a drug abuser at qb, do you?

Playoffs with carter! :lmao2: What, was carter and his 19 ints gonna overcome our defense? Was carter and his under 60% completion percentage going to lead us to the playoffs. Quincy sucked when he was here. He did not play well. He was bad. He didn't lead us to anything.
What will JJ do at QB next year, If allowed I’m sure he blunder again. Think worst case scenario and go there. Whats next, send Scouts to Dominican and look for the best ballplayers that have played football? I hope when Wolf was brought in JJ listened
He probably will. I mean, he made a mistake in drafting qc, getting hutch, getting vt, and many others. He did not make a mistake in getting rid of a mediocre at best qb who was a drug abuser.
I know noone likes my method of responding to long posts, but oh well...

gbrittain

Reaction score
Nors said:

What will JJ do at QB next year, If allowed I’m sure he'll blunder again. Think worst case scenario and go there. Whats next, send Scouts to Dominican and look for the best ballplayers that have played football? I hope when Wolf was brought in JJ listened

Nors, I disagree. I am not going to say anything new here, but Dallas won last year due to a good defense it had nothing to do with Carter.

If you look at VTs numbers vs Qs they are virtually identical. IF you look at the stats you will see the biggest difference between this year and last is points allowed.

Last year Dallas was #2 in the NFL in points allowed. This year they are #27. Unless of course QC was going to cover WRs and put on a pass rush.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Uh oh....

I bet I could reach my 1000th post on this thread alone, but it's too early in the mourning for this type of heat, so I am going to get out of the kitchen :eek: .

Good luck Nors :D

- Mike G.

I can multi-task! :)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
Nors, I disagree. I am not going to say anything new here, but Dallas won last year due to a good defense it had nothing to do with Carter.

If you look at VTs numbers vs Qs they are virtually identical. IF you look at the stats you will see the biggest difference between this year and last is points allowed.

Last year Dallas was #2 in the NFL in points allowed. This year they are #27. Unless of course QC was going to cover WRs and put on a pass rush

Carters offense controlled the TOP battle, helped win games. Look at how VT has played in second half of games. VT at 41 has no upside and there is no knowing what Carter would have done with Key add, better Oline (Allen, Al Johnson) and J Jones. He had upside - trotting listliss VT out there doomed the season. We went from hope to losing hope. It was VT or a kid who hadn't suited up since 2000 season in Henson.

Not giving Quincy Carter a second chance
Herman Edwards believes not giving Quincy Carter a second chance would be a crime.That's how the New York Jets' coach explained the team's signing of the former Dallas starting quarterback who was surprisingly released by the Cowboys three weeks ago.The fact the Jets were desperate for a backup to Chad Pennington had a little to do with the move, too."The worst thing you can do to any individual is not give them hope," Edwards said after Carter signed a one-year deal. "If a negative situation happens to a person in life, if you won't give them hope, shame on you."Edwards hopes Carter provides a solid option should Pennington get hurt the way he did last summer. Pennington, entering his fifth NFL season, broke his right wrist a year ago in a preseason game. Although the Jets had Vinny Testaverde as a backup, they got off to a slow start and never recovered.Testaverde, coincidentally, now is the starter in Dallas, so in essence the teams traded quarterbacks."You know, in this game, we learn that surprises, there are a lot of them," Carter said before donning a No. 17 jersey and throwing a handful of passes in a lengthy practice session. "I know that things happen and you've just got to move on."But I was shocked."Carter was cut Aug. 4 amid reports he failed a drug test and the NFL Players Association has filed a request for arbitration in the case. Gene Upshaw, the union's executive director, told The Associated Press the NFLPA will continue to press the case."We have to," he said, adding that part of the grievance involves potential salary loss to Carter."You'll have to ask Dallas why they released me," Carter said. "All I got was the papers."Edwards said the Jets didn't want to rush into anything with Carter -- or any other veteran quarterback, which is why it took so long before they brought in Carter for a tryout. Edwards also defended his backups, second-year pro Brooks Bollinger and CFL refugee Ricky Ray.But it was clear neither was the answer behind Pennington."We made the position more competitive," Edwards said. "That's the way life is -- you try to create competition with the players you have."We felt this guy can upgrade the position. Just like when we brought in (guard) Pete Kendall. It's just like when you draft players, no different."Ah, but it is much different because of what happened in Dallas. Carter started every game for the Cowboys last season, winning 10 and leading them into the playoffs in Bill Parcells' first season as their coach. Two days before Carter was released, Parcells said he "had a leg up" to be the starter this year.Carter, a second-round draft choice in 2001, started all 31 games in which he played for Dallas, including 17 last season. In his career, he has 507 completions in 902 attempts for 5,839 yards with 29 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.Known for his mobility, he has run 140 times for 498 yards."I think this guy is a magnificent fit," offensive coordinator Paul Hackett said of Carter playing in a West Coast offense. "I said it when he came out of Georgia."If something happened to Chad, and I don't even like to talk about it -- you never want to go through that again -- but this is very prudent."Testaverde, who was released this spring by the Jets after starting 57 games in six seasons, also believes Carter will prosper in New York."I think he'll do fine," he said. "Quincy's going to handle himself well and certainly it's an organization that will welcome him with open arms. He's got a full year under his belt and he has some experience, and I think he will able to help them."

Mash

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority on this issue....

But I agree with some of the points mentioned by Nors...

You don't cut a starting QB with no other options. The excuse that Mangement felt that Romo and Henson were ready to play doesn't wash now seeing how we have seen proof that Bill will not play these guys even though we were out of playoffs contention for weeks now.

Cutting Carter forced our offence to change....max protect the lead foot Vinny.

Carter was popular amoung his fellow teammates. The issue about Carter complaining about number of snaps was correct. Bill even mentioned that he had to give his starters more snaps because they weren't ready.

I still firmly believe that this was a Jerry Jones decision. Bill would of not put this team with playoff hopes in the hands of Vinny alone and with no viable backup to speak of.

Bill is close friends with the Jets GM.....I know I read somewhere that Bill recommended Carter to the Jets when the Jets were looking for a backup.....No I don't have any proof....but don't you think that one of Bills best friends would of phoned him and asked for his input?

This move clearly sent a message to the Cowboys players......good or bad....no one really knows.....IMHO I don't think it was a good one.

What would be the harm of having QC as our backup?.....other then posters here and fans at the game wanting QC in the game after Vinny begins to struggle.

What I don't agree with.....

I don't think we would of won more games.......we are just not a good football team. I think the defence overachived last year.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Carter ran the team much better than Vinny did this season. Vinny has had:

1) An astronomically better corps of pass-catchers. Witten who has developed leaps and bounds over last season, Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson. Patrick Crayton who, as a #4 wr, is actually CATCHING PASSES. Whereas Carter had AB and JG dropping passes from here to eternity all season last year, and had Randall Williams doing absoultely NOTHING beyond that. Dallas only had 1 legit pass catcher last year, and that was TG. This year, they have the best tight end in the NFC and the best WR to don a cowboys uni since Irvin hit the turf in philly.

2) An improved running game. Carter had Troy "London Bridge is Falling Downaftertrippingonabladeofgrass" Hambrick. Vinny had crappy Eddie G, but at least he also had Julius Jones for 8 games.

And yet Vinny's numbers are the same as Carter's. But looking at Vinny's INTs this year, they almost ALWAYS come at the most costly times and several games have been lost due to his plethora of INTs, including to really bad teams. Carter last year had about 5 or 6 INTs that were either end-of-the-half/game heaves or Were-far-behind-throw-it-up-see-what-happens tosses near the end of games. Carter also at least played well against the weaker teams/defenses, something i cannot say for Vinny, who seems to suck equally no matter who the opponent.

Was Carter good? Ha. Hell no. Is Vinny worse? Ha. Hell yes.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I am going to post one last time in this thread and ask that the moderators close it out after this, PLEASE!! I never would have thought that this would have escalated into a 9 page thread over that litte comment!!

First of all MikeD, I wish you had never reposted in a separate thread the comment that was made in another thread. I was not trying to call attention to that statement at all!!

I just posted what one of the players told me. I'm sure he didn't mean that that was the entire problem with this team, but he felt like it kinda started at that point. The player that made the comment had only played w/Q for one year, so he wasn't a "buddy of Q's", and the player was actually bought in by Parcells. If you folks think for one minute that Q's release didn't effect the players on this team, then you're sadly mistaken. Q had been here since 2000, granted a lot of the players that he had played with since that time have been released, but he still has been with a lot of these players throughout mini camps, training camps, and the season. Winning cures a lot of ailments, but we're not winning, so it makes a lot of the guys think about many different things, such as the Q release. This team does not have a good team chemistry right now, but how can they, majority of the roster is brand new.

Majority of the players, including Keyshawn, felt like Q gave us the best chance to win and go back to the playoffs this year.
Everybody knew that Q was just holding the position until Henson was ready, otherwise Henson would have never been brought in. But, we made the playoffs last year and these players were expecting to do the same thing this year, they weren't expecting to go into a "relaspe year" or "rebuilding mode". Some of these guys like Woodson, Coakley, etc., that were here through the 5-11 years are not going to be around when we win another Superbowl, and they felt that last year was a step closer to that direction.

It's not just Q's release, but it's AB's trade, Woodson's late back surgery, nonkey acquirements in FA, guys not playing up to their potential, etc. that are the reasons that this team is not winning. Nobody, including Parcells, can place a finger on the exact reason. Could it be because quite a few guys had the flu in the game Sunday? I don't know what it is, but they better figure it out real quick, because winning could cure all of these afterthoughts...

Yes Q let his team down by failing that drug test, but I guess the way they (the players) see it, he's not the only one on this team that was in the program, nor was he the only one that smokes marijuana on the team. And in light of quite a few suspensions of players on other teams this year being suspended for another violation because of marijuana use, and their respective teams keeping them on the roster, maybe they felt like Q could have been handled the same way. At least by next year, Henson would have been in the system for a year and probably could've taken over, and we still would've possibly made the playoffs this year.

What it all boils down to is that the powers that be didn't put the team in a better position to win this year. And don't think for one minute that this lies all on Parcell's shoulder, because it doesn't, Jerry is a huge key piece to the puzzle.

Anyway, I'm done rambling, and I'm done talking about Quincy Carter FOREVER!! And MikeD, you need to just let it go, I'm sure Q's perfectly happy w/the Jets and their 5-1 record, and we're happy that we have the future to look forward to in Henson, Julius, hopefully Mike Williams and 2 1st round picks.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Let it go already
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v316/Yeagermeister/GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gif

wileedog

Reaction score
DrewHensonSoonerNotLater said:
Was Carter good? Ha. Hell no. Is Vinny worse? Ha. Hell yes.

They both suck.

Lamenting over having one or not having the other is a waste of bandwidth.

MikeD17

Benched
Reaction score
I agree with nors on most points and do believe we would have made the playoffs with Carter this season

We would have had three more wins in my mind Pitt, Saints, Giants

The biggest difference between the qb play of this season and last is that Vinny's Ints and Fumbles come at the worse possiable times.

I disagree that Jerry was Mad that Parcells chose Carter over Hutchinson or that he wanted Henson to start this season.

I think Jerry liked Qc alot, I think he just felt really let down and deceived when he found out Carter was messing around with drugs . It was like a slap in the face, he has one impression of Carter and Qc showed him another.

I think at that point Jerry said I can no longer see this through and he felt he could no longer trust Carter. I believe Jerry made the choice to release Carter but it was not because he wanted to see henson, it was because he felt let down by quincy.

Parcells however knew it was a valid reason and understood the cause of release. I think Parcells believed Vinny would be better then he has performed and so he was more accepting to go along with carters release.

all in all one big mess to start the season and something that just set a dark cloud over the year.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Mash said:
I know I'm in the minority on this issue....

But I agree with some of the points mentioned by Nors...

You don't cut a starting QB with no other options. The excuse that Mangement felt that Romo and Henson were ready to play doesn't wash now seeing how we have seen proof that Bill will not play these guys even though we were out of playoffs contention for weeks now.

Cutting Carter forced our offence to change....max protect the lead foot Vinny.

Carter was popular amoung his fellow teammates. The issue about Carter complaining about number of snaps was correct. Bill even mentioned that he had to give his starters more snaps because they weren't ready.

I still firmly believe that this was a Jerry Jones decision. Bill would of not put this team with playoff hopes in the hands of Vinny alone and with no viable backup to speak of.

Bill is close friends with the Jets GM.....I know I read somewhere that Bill recommended Carter to the Jets when the Jets were looking for a backup.....No I don't have any proof....but don't you think that one of Bills best friends would of phoned him and asked for his input?

This move clearly sent a message to the Cowboys players......good or bad....no one really knows.....IMHO I don't think it was a good one.

What would be the harm of having QC as our backup?.....other then posters here and fans at the game wanting QC in the game after Vinny begins to struggle.

What I don't agree with.....

I don't think we would of won more games.......we are just not a good football team. I think the defence overachived last year.

1. The writing was on the wall the day Vinny showed up at VR. No other QB had a chance at starting this year. BP wanted VT and he got him.

2. I would not say our style of offense is any different this year than it was last year.

3. Dont know if he was popular or not. I would imagine the only place where his presence would have affected play on the field though is offense. Keyshawn Johnson, Quincy Morgan, Terrence Copper, Eddie George and Julius Jones were not even on the team last year. Jason Witten is having a stellar year and Terry Glenn was having a better year this year until he got hurt. So it is not like we "lost" those players when Carter got cut.

4. I disagree. This is BPs team. If Jerry were running the show we would have seen Henson a little more often. I know people dont beleive but VT was going to be BPs man this year at all costs. He trusts VT, I just dont know why.

5. If QC was half the QB some thought he was, he would not need a recommendation from BP to be a back up somewhere. The fact that no one wanted him to start anywhere is pretty telling about what the rest of the league thought of him. Let Manning, McNabb, Brady, Pennington, Ben R, Brees, or Vick to name a few get released and see if they are not starting for another team next year.

6. If it sent a message or not I like you have no idea.

7. I dont think having QC on the bench would have been good for the team. Just my opinion.

8. I do agree that QC would have made little to no difference this year.

wileedog

Reaction score
MikeD17 said:
IThe biggest difference between the qb play of this season and last is that Vinny's Ints and Fumbles come at the worse possiable times.

Carter had more than his share of untimely INTs. He as an almost guaranteed lock to throw one as soon as we were down by a TD, and he had a real talent for throwing them in the first or second series of the 3rd Quarter, when he could give away the momentum.

Everyone also seems to conveniently forget that for the second half of the season Carter almost completely stopped looking downfield because he was so scared of throwing another pick. Richie Anderson was our leading reciever. There were rumors that Carter was doing the same thing for the first few days of camp, and I think it was a big part of the decision to cut him.

Testeverde may throw way too many picks, but at least he's not timid. If Carter was in on that pass to Crayton last week he probably would have dumped it off already to Barnes....

Mash

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
1.5. If QC was half the QB some thought he was, he would not need a recommendation from BP to be a back up somewhere. The fact that no one wanted him to start anywhere is pretty telling about what the rest of the league thought of him. Let Manning, McNabb, Brady, Pennington, Ben R, Brees, or Vick to name a few get released and see if they are not starting for another team next year.QUOTE]

It was too late in the preseason for Carter to win a starting job......the proof will be next spring training and if and where Carter signs.

Carter may well be in Miami or Arizona as a starter next year.

wileedog;

Vinny has KJ and a improved Whitten.....bascially all Carter had was Glen and Anderson and Glen isn't a possesion WR.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
There is no doubt we would be in playoffs with Carter. Instead we are a 6 win team – and that 6 is an overachieved 6 wins.

Our defense was terrible, despit how badly Vinny has played and how much I can't wait to see him no longer a member of the Dallas Cowboys, his numbers are slightly better than what Carters were last year. Carter had a great D last year to bail him and the team out, this year the D stinks, I think we would be standing pat at 6-9 if Carter was the QB.