Why Cutting Carter was a Blunder

Gaede

Reaction score
I didn't understand the move at first, and only with some message board reasoning did I warm up to Quincy's release.

I'm back to not liking it again. People would say "Anyone But Carter!", but I bet they weren't prepared for the indestructible Mr.T. Testeverde has been surrounded by better players, coaches? (Haley), and infinitely less pressure than Carter faced.

Like him or not, Carter had the possibility of getting better, not worse, in his stay in Dallas.

That said, I think the defense has been the main reason for the teams failure. But releasing Quincy broke the teams structure, a misguided move by an overconfident coaching staff and front office.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Gaede said:
I didn't understand the move at first, and only with some message board reasoning did I warm up to Quincy's release.

I'm back to not liking it again. People would say "Anyone But Carter!", but I bet they weren't prepared for the indestructible Mr.T. Testeverde has been surrounded by better players, coaches? (Haley), and infinitely less pressure than Carter faced.

Like him or not, Carter had the possibility of getting better, not worse, in his stay in Dallas.

That said, I think the defense has been the main reason for the teams failure. But releasing Quincy broke the teams structure, a misguided move by an overconfident coaching staff and front office.

Yes and Quincy wouldn't have faired much better with a better D. Carter had a better running game last year two pro bowl lineman, number 1 D in the league, and still managed not to put up better numbers than Vinny did this year. I hate Vinny want him gone, we wouldn't be better off right now with Carter.. Our record is bad this year because we have an incompetent QB and a bad D, our record was good last year because we had a great D inspite of an incompetent QB

VA Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
This thread should be titled, "Why Drafting Carter was a Blunder".

We could start with the fact we bypassed some pretty good players in order to reach for QC in the 2nd round.

Then we could move on to the fact we then wasted at least 3 seasons evaluating him before the organization finally realized they made a mistake in drafting him in the 2nd round.

All the while, since we wanted to see what we had we refused to add any real QB prospects to the team because we had to spend time evaluating our talent-challeged young QB's.

...oh well, now you can carry on with why Cutting Carter was a blunder...

blindzebra

Reaction score
This is simple, and to say, we'd be in the playoffs with Carter is BEYOND ridiculous.

FDs allowed:

2003 228
2004 279 with a game left

3rd down conversions:

2003 69/227 32.9%
2004 70/181 38.7%

Yards allowed:

2003 4056
2004 5050

TDs allowed:

2003 28 with 1 on a return and 3 defensive scores
2004 45 with 4 defensive scores

You think the defense giving up nearly 1,000 yards and 17 TDs...WITH A GAME LEFT...more, might be the reason we aren't in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Will this guy ever go away? I have never seen so much love for such a mediocre player in my life.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Let's remember one thing here.....

Parcells didn't cut Carter

Jones didn't cut Carter

Carter cut himself. Yes, we would've been a better team by keeping him. But we didn't cut him to start Vinny. We cut him because he couldn't be trusted.

A QB with a drug problem is different than a RB, WR, CB, or DL with a drug problem. He's our team leader. He has to have a clear head. The last thing I wanted was for our team to get to the playoffs, then have QC screw up and fail another drug test and get suspended.

We owed it to the team to cut him and start over.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
This is simple, and to say, we'd be in the playoffs with Carter is BEYOND ridiculous.

FDs allowed:

2003 228

3rd down conversions:

2003 69/227 32.9%
2004 70/181 38.7%

Yards allowed:

2003 4056
2004 5050

TDs allowed:

You think the defense giving up nearly 1,000 yards and 17 TDs...WITH A GAME LEFT...more, might be the reason we aren't in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Sure, carter wasn't going to be the difference between playoff or no, but I would have definitely have rather had him than Vinny.

Dallas - 15th ranked offense in 2003; 19th in 2004. 18.1 ppg in 2003, 17.9 in 2004. And this is with a vastly superior offensive cast in 2004. I can't wait for next year, and no more vinny. Drew Henson Now!

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Let's remember one thing here.....

Parcells didn't cut Carter

Jones didn't cut Carter

Carter cut himself. Yes, we would've been a better team by keeping him. But we didn't cut him to start Vinny. We cut him because he couldn't be trusted.

A QB with a drug problem is different than a RB, WR, CB, or DL with a drug problem. He's our team leader. He has to have a clear head. The last thing I wanted was for our team to get to the playoffs, then have QC screw up and fail another drug test and get suspended.

We owed it to the team to cut him and start over.

Even a middling QB wouldnt get cut for smoking weed. Why was Carter cut? TO MAKE ROOM FOR PARCELLS BOY VINNY. Don't kid yourselves. Why wasn't Carter's cut explained? Why was it left up to beat reporters to SPECULATE that it was drugs, and then have the phoney COCAINE story floated? Because they knew ppl would be pissed off when they found out it was for Mary Jane, hurting the guy's rep in the process, just so BP could have his boyfriend Vinny as the starter, no questions asked. If you cut QC, fine. But not for a piece of junk like Vinny. I wish more and more that we had just drafted a QB in round 1 this year instead of wasting time with Vinny.

Reaction score
8) Nobody's been able to score a decent 3-finger bag of skunk-weed since he was shipped north.
cheechquincy.jpg

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

FDs allowed:

2003 228

3rd down conversions:

2003 69/227 32.9%
2004 70/181 38.7%

Yards allowed:

2003 4056
2004 5050

TDs allowed:

NO!! It's all because we don't have Quincy!!! :rolleyes:

blindzebra

Reaction score
DrewHensonSoonerNotLater said:
Sure, carter wasn't going to be the difference between playoff or no, but I would have definitely have rather had him than Vinny.

Dallas - 15th ranked offense in 2003; 19th in 2004. 18.1 ppg in 2003, 17.9 in 2004. And this is with a vastly superior offensive cast in 2004. I can't wait for next year, and no more vinny. Drew Henson Now!

Vastly superior?

Are running game, until Jones came back, was WORSE. We lost Campbell, Glenn, and Bryant. At best it can be called a wash.

As for points per game the defense had two TDs and 2 safeties last year, and we returned an onside kick for another TD. This year we have a wopping 2 points from the defense. 20 points over 16 games means a 1.25 difference in points per game. ;)

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I can't believe we are still talking about Quincy Carter.

The problem with this is that no one can definitively say he would have gotten this team into the playoffs.

It's the butterfly effect - QC is the starter. Do certain players play a better season? Do certain players have a worse season?

You can't just plug someone into a close game and said 'Oh, they would have won that game.' They could have thrown three picks earlier and never made it a close game. Maybe they tossed four touchdowns and it was over by halftime.

You change one thing, you change everything.

Bizwah

Reaction score
DrewHensonSoonerNotLater said:
Even a middling QB wouldnt get cut for smoking weed. Why was Carter cut? TO MAKE ROOM FOR PARCELLS BOY VINNY. Don't kid yourselves. Why wasn't Carter's cut explained? Why was it left up to beat reporters to SPECULATE that it was drugs, and then have the phoney COCAINE story floated? Because they knew ppl would be pissed off when they found out it was for Mary Jane, hurting the guy's rep in the process, just so BP could have his boyfriend Vinny as the starter, no questions asked. If you cut QC, fine. But not for a piece of junk like Vinny. I wish more and more that we had just drafted a QB in round 1 this year instead of wasting time with Vinny.

You TOTALLY miss the point.

Do you really think the NFL cares if he used weed? Ask Ricky Williams.

The point is that Carter couldn't be trusted. Sure people seem to think (although I wholeheartedly disagree) that weed is somehow "ok" to use. They think it really isn't a bad drug.

But the NFL suspends people for using it. Apparently, Carter was in the program. One more offense and he's suspended for four games. Is he really worth the risk?

Seriously? Imagine us going 10-5. We've made the playoffs and we're playing for the NFC East title. QC has had another solid season. Imagine if QC had another positive drug test. What do we do then? The NFL isn't going to care if he was only smoking weed. He'll be suspended for four games and he'd miss our playoff game, possibly costing us a Super Bowl.

Now.......is he worth that? No........we owe it to the players to find someone we can trust.

You asked why wasn't Carter's situation explained? Simple........they couldn't legally explain the details. Unfortunately, this leads to speculation.

We need to get past this. Sure, I believe this is where our season started going south. But Carter did it to himself. JJ and BP both said what I believe. "He let us down".

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Avery said:
I can't believe we are still talking about Quincy Carter.

The problem with this is that no one can definitively say he would have gotten this team into the playoffs.

It's the butterfly effect - QC is the starter. Do certain players play a better season? Do certain players have a worse season?

You can't just plug someone into a close game and said 'Oh, they would have won that game.' They could have thrown three picks earlier and never made it a close game. Maybe they tossed four touchdowns and it was over by halftime.

You change one thing, you change everything.

It's my opinion we would have been a better team with Carter over VT. Others do not agree.

We'll never know what would have happened.
I know what I saw in VT and I was uninspired. I think Carter did more with less. Doesn't matter - you have VT for another year I am sure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
It's my opinion we would have been a better team with Carter over VT. Others do not agree.

We'll never know what would have happened.
I know what I saw in VT and I was uninspired. I think Carter did more with less. Doesn't matter - you have VT for another year I am sure.

It's my opinion that you should let this go already Nors. He's gone, let him go.

BadKarma

Reaction score
Taking Carter when we did in the 2nd round was a blunder. Taking three precious years to develop him instead of picking someone up who warrants that time was a blunder.

We are right back where we were before we picked up our bullpen. :cool:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BadKarma said:
Taking Carter when we did in the 2nd round was a blunder. Taking three precious years to develop him instead of picking someone up who warrants that time was a blunder.

We are right back where we were before we picked up our bullpen. :cool:

Its not Carters fault JJ drafted him stupidly in the 2nd round. I was livid too - Bell, Rogers on the board. JJ Blundered. JJ Blundered throwing him out his rookie year. He played two years for Campo, was saddled with Coslett. Yet he has a career winning record despite. Not sure exactly but he's right at .500 +-

Some crunch VT's career record as a starter? Seriously - I bet its in line with his 6-9 trend here.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
You can always tell when it is a slow day in cowboy land..We get the nonsense threads. Maybe if we throw a number 1 at the jets we can get QC back. :banghead:

BadKarma

Reaction score
Nors said:
Its not Carters fault JJ drafted him stupidly in the 2nd round. I was livid too - Bell, Rogers on the board. JJ Blundered. JJ Blundered throwing him out his rookie year. He played two years for Campo, was saddled with Coslett. Yet he has a career winning record despite. Not sure exactly but he's right at .500 +-

Some crunch VT's career record as a starter? Seriously - I bet its in line with his 6-9 trend here.
I'll give Carter his dues. He probably would have improved in his fourth year, second in this same offense. How much, no one will know. I'm just glad this is behind us and we can move on.

Nors, you must let go, brother!...let go...