Why Dak’s new deal is a normal sports transaction

John813

Reaction score
So are very young starting QB getting paid these days for their 2nd deal. Mahomes is the only one of the young starters these days who has done anything. DeShaun Watson hasn’t won a playoff game and has a losing record as a QB. He got market value,. They all do. Always have.

Again, I’m not saying that’s right. I am saying it’s consistent with what the NFL does with starting QBs.

Plus Jimmy G became the highest paid QB for a small stretch after starting 5 games for the 49ers.

It's been this way for around a decade now.

Not sure why most freak out over it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The market doesn't over pay for good QB's and Dak's pay day is a gross overpayment for his return so far.

Come again? Stafford, Wentz, Cousins, and Derek Carr were, at one time, the highest paid QB in NFL history. Now it's Dak's turn. Next year it'll be someone else.

Unfortunately, this is the NFL QB world today whether we like it or not. Dak isn't an exception. He's just the most recent, and most significant for Cowboys fans.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Justifying stupidity.
I agree that the money starting qbs make in the NFL is stupid.
Jerry would be proud.
The Cowboys decided they wanted their starting QB long term, therefore they paid market value. Yes, it is a stupid system. And I think Jerry is a bad GM. But he decided he didn’t want to start over finding a decent starter. It was a business decision.
Again bad GM who overpaid and the team suffered. Sorry unless a QB is elite generational you don't break the bank, I agree with what you say but big mistake as is par for the coarse with a Jerry move.
It may prove to be a mistake. But it is one most teams are willing to risk making when acquiring the hardest position to find competence in the NFL. I don’t like JJ as a GM. But he did what most would do nowadays right or wrong.

Bigdog

Reaction score
One thing for sure is Dak better deliver and I don’t mean just getting in the playoffs and winning a couple of games. He needs to win a SB. If you are being paid as the 2nd highest player than you need to get results or the media and fans will turn on you. I like Dak a lot and glad he is staying but this put added pressure on him to deliver. The fans won’t care how bad the coaching or the defense is. If he doesn’t deliver he will probably get the blame. Right or not it is what it is.

Brax

Reaction score
Come again? Stafford, Wentz, Cousins, and Derek Carr were, at one time, the highest paid QB in NFL history. Now it's Dak's turn. Next year it'll be someone else.

Unfortunately, this is the NFL QB world today whether we like it or not. Dak isn't an exception. He's just the most recent, and most significant for Cowboys fans.
How did all those teams do the next few years bet a majority of them were not contenders. I get it market value is in the eye of the beholder and I don't have any problem with that or the fact Jerry owns the team and pays what he wants to who he wants.

Brax

Reaction score
It may prove to be a mistake. But it is one most teams are willing to risk making when acquiring the hardest position to find competence in the NFL. I don’t like JJ as a GM. But he did what most would do nowadays right or wrong.
Jerry owns the team and can do what he wants and only history will show if he was correct but based on history don't expect much.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys decided they wanted their starting QB long term, therefore they paid market value. Yes, it is a stupid system. And I think Jerry is a bad GM. But he decided he didn’t want to start over finding a decent starter. It was a business decision.

We all know what Jerry decided. He chose stupidity.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So every QB that’s signing should be getting most guaranteed money ever?

Should they? Not in a sane world. Do they? In the NFL these days the answer is yes.

If the new TV deal in 2022 is worth over $100 billion, as has been projected, it'll only keep going higher (along with the cap).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So every QB that’s signing should be getting most guaranteed money ever?
Wait and see what Allen, Jackson, Mayfield and Murray get.

Watson butted up again the magic 40 at 39M and Mahomes crossed over. Get ready for Rodgers' deal or some blockbuster trade.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Professional athletes are not always paid in direct proportion to to their ability nor their playoff accomplishments. They are paid according to what the market dictates for their position. That’s the way it has worked for a very long time.

Pro athletes on their second contract in almost every sports league are paid according to what the market dictates along with age and perceived potential. Which is why older players with a great performance history at the end of their careers rarely get paid as much as a younger guy with more youth and upside. For example, when Jerry Rice played the last few years of his career, he wasn’t the highest paid WR. Tom Brady at 43, the GOAT, the best ever, will not make as much as these young QBs are getting today.

In a perfect sports world, players would be paid according to what they have done and in comparison to what other players at that position have done. But that’s not the way it works and it has been this way for decades. Dak is no different than any other 27 year old QB who is considered in the top 10-15. They ALL are going to get paid outrageously according to the market.

I’m not here to argue that this system is right, fair or effective. But it is consistent. Dak got what starting QBs his age get these days. It wasn’t a “greed grab”. Jerry didn’t “cave”. (He should have signed him earlier but that’s another topic) It was dictated by a market that overpays.
I don't agree that they overpay, they created this monster with their rule changes to increase excitement and scoring and created 40M QB's and 20M WR's.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Should they? Not in a sane world. Do they? In the NFL these days the answer is yes.

If the new TV deal in 2022 is worth over $100 billion, as has been projected, it'll only keep going higher (along with the cap).

TV is only way I can watch, I damn sure don’t want to pay the prices it costs to go to game. Especially traveling from North Carolina to Dallas.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Wait and see what Allen, Jackson, Mayfield and Murray get.

Watson butted up again the magic 40 at 39M and Mahomes crossed over. Get ready for Rodgers' deal or some blockbuster trade.
I just don’t believe jumping off a cliff because most everyone else jumps.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the “that’s the rate and this is how it’s always been so it is what it is” argument. If you believe dak is an elite qb then this is a great deal. If you think his is in the tier 2/3 of qbs this is a horrible deal. Paying a qb because you have no other option sets teams back. Especially in today’s game where you can find average qbs through trade or even FA.

Dak got paid now he has to produce, and he has to produce knowing you can’t have top talent everywhere. If he doesn’t win a ring he pretty much goes down as another romo.

can he do it with this team? I can’t say for sure but it’ll be a fun ride.

Creeper

Reaction score

I accept the argument, but who said Dak's market value is more than what Mahomes is making? Let's look at some past deals. Goff, Wentz, Watson. Goff and Wentz were traded so their teams could get out of those horrible contracts. Watson is unhappy again and now he is demanding a trade. Who looks at those situations and says "we need to reset the market for QBs with Dak"? I can understand paying Dak $40 million over 8 or 10 years, but paying him that much over 4 years is just ridiculous. And what has Dak done for the Cowboys? 1 playoff win in 3 tries. Mahomes has a Lombardi trophy and a second visit to the Super Bowl in 3 seasons. In what crazy, drunken world of Jerry Jones does Dak Prescott deserve more money than Patrick Mahomes? I just heard a Jane Slater report a few days ago where she talked to some AFC team officials who told her no way Dak was worth the money he was reportedly asking for and that he would not get it had he hit the free agent market. They were talking about the $40 million. Of course we have no idea if these officials were blowing smoke up her butt but I am guessing they were being honest because why lie to Jane?

The worst part about this deal is the no trade and no tag clauses. We'll have to see how this deal is structured but I don't see any way this deal does not hamstring the Cowboys on the CAP for several years. This deal almost ensures the Cowboys will be mediocre for the foreseable future and maybe for Dak's entire career in Dallas, unless you believe that somehow the Jerry draft show will suddenly find a defense in a weak 2021 draft class. And for those thinking we will restructure guys like Cooper, Zeke, and DLaw, all that does is push the CAP consequences into the years when Dak's deal gets really expensive. On the contrary, this deal almost ensures Zeke, DLaw and others will be gone before their contracts are up.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't agree that they overpay, they created this monster with their rule changes to increase excitement and scoring and created 40M QB's and 20M WR's.
Well said. The NFL made a business decision decades ago to favor offense over defense in its rule making. It is their marketing plan. That is exactly why they overpay for QBs. And most fans don’t understand that the Cowboys are doing with Dak what 95% of all NFL teams do. They pay market price for a starting QB. Jerry decided he didn’t want to start over at the QB position. That meant he had to pay market price. It’s really that simple.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To me the problem is either a) you live with the modern QB contract because you think the guy is worth it, or b) you drop them when they get too expensive and draft a new one to stay ahead of the QB inflation curve and spend the savings on stacking the rest of the roster like mad.

The Cowboys did neither one and ended up in a worse position for it. It's not the end of the world like some doomers are making it out to be, but it's just kind of dumb.

"or you draft a new one"

Here is the HUGE flaw in your plan. You speak as if its not a big deal. You could spend 20 years trying to find the next Dak Prescott. And since you appear to be a Cowboys fan you should know the struggles this franchise has had. Were you alive between Aikman and Romo? Romo was a stroke of luck. One could argue so was Dak.

You talk of stacking the roster, but once you move on from Dak, your #1 priority becomes finding the next franchise QB. Instead of using those picks on the rest of the team, you will more than likely use multiple first rounders attempting to draft a QB. And you really have no set timeline or window for a run.

Now you have a clear direction for the next 4 years with one of the better QB's in the NFL in his prime. Path is clear, focus on the defense. We are literally 4 or 5 good defensive players away from being a SB contender. Jerry can now take the next 4 years and go for it all.

Easy easy call.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Professional athletes are not always paid in direct proportion to to their ability nor their playoff accomplishments. They are paid according to what the market dictates for their position. That’s the way it has worked for a very long time.

Pro athletes on their second contract in almost every sports league are paid according to what the market dictates along with age and perceived potential. Which is why older players with a great performance history at the end of their careers rarely get paid as much as a younger guy with more youth and upside. For example, when Jerry Rice played the last few years of his career, he wasn’t the highest paid WR. Tom Brady at 43, the GOAT, the best ever, will not make as much as these young QBs are getting today.

In a perfect sports world, players would be paid according to what they have done and in comparison to what other players at that position have done. But that’s not the way it works and it has been this way for decades. Dak is no different than any other 27 year old QB who is considered in the top 10-15. They ALL are going to get paid outrageously according to the market.

I’m not here to argue that this system is right, fair or effective. But it is consistent. Dak got what starting QBs his age get these days. It wasn’t a “greed grab”. Jerry didn’t “cave”. (He should have signed him earlier but that’s another topic) It was dictated by a market that overpays.

You would use guys who have seen 14 Super Bowls between them.

Brady has never demanded the Patriots and now Bucs make him the highest paid QB. He has always given his teams a discount so that the team can afford to get him some help. Brady understands the link between winning and off field money which is far more lucrative than an NFL salary and will last his entire life.

But I guarantee you if Brady wanted 50M, someone would give it to him.