Why Dak’s new deal is a normal sports transaction

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
So are very young starting QB getting paid these days for their 2nd deal. Mahomes is the only one of the young starters these days who has done anything. DeShaun Watson hasn’t won a playoff game and has a losing record as a QB. He got market value,. They all do. Always have.

Again, I’m not saying that’s right. I am saying it’s consistent with what the NFL does with starting QBs.
You see it more in the NBA with too many good players getting max deals. Dak was owed his payday, but not sure why JJ took so long if he was going to overpay this entire time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said. The NFL made a business decision decades ago to favor offense over defense in its rule making. It is their marketing plan. That is exactly why they overpay for QBs. And most fans don’t understand that the Cowboys are doing with Dak what 95% of all NFL teams do. They pay market price for a starting QB. Jerry decided he didn’t want to start over at the QB position. That meant he had to pay market price. It’s really that simple.
And it's not like he doesn't have a marketing investment in Prescott already that has paid off handsomely.

I'll join in the Booger Bashing and even lead some but on this matter, I saw no choice but to make it hurt not too much. He really had no choice and I don't think he wanted a choice. He wants Dak as his QB, he likes him and probably even admires his sticking to his guns during the negotiations and never saying anything.

GMO415

Reaction score
Professional athletes are not always paid in direct proportion to to their ability nor their playoff accomplishments. They are paid according to what the market dictates for their position. That’s the way it has worked for a very long time.

Pro athletes on their second contract in almost every sports league are paid according to what the market dictates along with age and perceived potential. Which is why older players with a great performance history at the end of their careers rarely get paid as much as a younger guy with more youth and upside. For example, when Jerry Rice played the last few years of his career, he wasn’t the highest paid WR. Tom Brady at 43, the GOAT, the best ever, will not make as much as these young QBs are getting today.

In a perfect sports world, players would be paid according to what they have done and in comparison to what other players at that position have done. But that’s not the way it works and it has been this way for decades. Dak is no different than any other 27 year old QB who is considered in the top 10-15. They ALL are going to get paid outrageously according to the market.

I’m not here to argue that this system is right, fair or effective. But it is consistent. Dak got what starting QBs his age get these days. It wasn’t a “greed grab”. Jerry didn’t “cave”. (He should have signed him earlier but that’s another topic) It was dictated by a market that overpays.
Tannehill didn't get that type of money, yet he drove his team to an actual AFC Championship game the year before, and brought his team to another back to back playoff game a year later.

9darter

Reaction score
More Stockholm Syndrome in this thread.

Jerry loves it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You would use guys who have seen 14 Super Bowls between them.

Brady has never demanded the Patriots and now Bucs make him the highest paid QB. He has always given his teams a discount so that the team can afford to get him some help. Thats b/c Brady understands the link between winning and off field money which is far more lucrative than an NFL salary and will last his entire life.

But I guarantee you if Brady wanted 50M, someone would give it to him.
I understand what you’re saying here, but what is left out is the fact that the NFL (and most sports leagues) do not pay players based on merit alone. Never have. It’s based on market value. Just like houses, cars, etc. Again, I’m not saying that’s fair, smart or advisable. I am saying it’s “normal” for the NFL and how it pays QBs.

Next year, someone (or several) will get a bigger deal than Dak. Not based on merit or accomplishments. But based on how the NFL pays its most coveted position. This is nothing new. And it’s been this way for decades.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This deal will change the NFL. Dak got a no trade clause and a no tag clause. This is the beginning of the end of the franchise tag and a step closer to baseball type free agency IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly. The decision the Cowboys FO made was simple. They decided they want a starting QB that is a proven starter. They didn’t want to start back at ground zero to find a replacement. What baffles me is why JJ didn’t sign Dak earlier.
And that’s really the bigger discussion. And the only answer I can come up with is sheer ignorance and arrogance.

Or we followed public perception which Jethro often does. And Son probably Influenced him we could lowball Dak. And when that didn’t work he was left with no choice assuming they intended on retaining him. Nothing else makes sense to me why we’d wait.

And when I mean following public perception is waiting on the team to have more success to validate paying near the top of the league.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
They most definetly should. And I hope that's the case. How in the hell are these guys playing the most physical sport in the world and don't have guaranteed contracts? Good for Dak and his team. I hope others follow suit. ITs already a shame the NFL has made billions off the backs of guys like Randy White, Drew Pearson, Everson Walls, etc....now is the time to pay up for all the past robbing they did.

Boo hoo hoo effinn hoo

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand what you’re saying here, but what is left out is the fact that the NFL (and most sports leagues) do not pay players based on merit alone. Never have. It’s based on market value. Just like houses, cars, etc. Again, I’m not saying that’s fair, smart or advisable. I am saying it’s “normal” for the NFL and how it pays QBs.

Next year, someone (or several) will get a bigger deal than Dak. Not based on merit or accomplishments. But based on how the NFL pays its most coveted position. This is nothing new. And it’s been this way for decades.

Market value is a very subjective thing. Brady makes 25M a year. That SHOULD set the market. Just b/c some moron paid Wentz 30M and Goff 33M does not mean those Qbs should set the market. They were mistakes. There is no rule that says you follow someone else's mistake b/c they overpaid and "set the market".

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that’s really the bigger discussion. And the only answer I can come up with is sheer ignorance and arrogance.

Or we followed public perception which Jethro often does. And Son probably Influenced him we could lowball Dak. And when that didn’t work he was left with no choice assuming they intended on retaining him. Nothing else makes sense to me why we’d wait.

And when I mean following public perception is waiting on the team to have more success to validate paying near the top of the league.
Reason #1,005 why the owner should not also be your GM. Add nepotism to that formula as well.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Tannehill didn't get that type of money, yet he drove his team to an actual AFC Championship game the year before, and brought his team to another back to back playoff game a year later.
And the fact that they can't consistently throw the ball is why they got stomped out by KC and lost to Baltimore.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The market doesn't over pay for good QB's and Dak's pay day is a gross overpayment for his return so far.
That’s using the team success as a barometer. Which is following public perception not personal evaluation which sound football people don’t need.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
So he couldn't get tagged even when this deal has concluded. Dak would be 33-34 by then right? France is looking double long term lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Market value is a very subjective thing. Brady makes 25M a year. That SHOULD set the market. Just b/c some moron paid Wentz 30M and Goff 33M does not mean those Qbs should set the market. They were mistakes. There is no rule that says you follow someone else's mistake b/c they overpaid and "set the market".
What makes Brady’s deal at $25 mil is his age, not his accomplishments. He’s worth more than that, but he’s not going to get more than that because of his age and the risk of Father Time’s door knock that will inevitably come. Brady by performance SHOULD be the highest paid player. But again, that’s not how NFL markets work. I’m not advocating for this system. I’m just saying that IS the system.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Professional athletes are not always paid in direct proportion to to their ability nor their playoff accomplishments. They are paid according to what the market dictates for their position. That’s the way it has worked for a very long time.

Pro athletes on their second contract in almost every sports league are paid according to what the market dictates along with age and perceived potential. Which is why older players with a great performance history at the end of their careers rarely get paid as much as a younger guy with more youth and upside. For example, when Jerry Rice played the last few years of his career, he wasn’t the highest paid WR. Tom Brady at 43, the GOAT, the best ever, will not make as much as these young QBs are getting today.

In a perfect sports world, players would be paid according to what they have done and in comparison to what other players at that position have done. But that’s not the way it works and it has been this way for decades. Dak is no different than any other 27 year old QB who is considered in the top 10-15. They ALL are going to get paid outrageously according to the market.

I’m not here to argue that this system is right, fair or effective. But it is consistent. Dak got what starting QBs his age get these days. It wasn’t a “greed grab”. Jerry didn’t “cave”. (He should have signed him earlier but that’s another topic) It was dictated by a market that overpays.
Jerry and Stephen worked to get Dak signed last year, but France wasn’t going to budge knowing the TV deal was coming around soon. Business is business.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Reason #1,005 why the owner should not also be your GM. Add nepotism to that formula as well.

True but I will say there is no team that the man paying out the money has no say. Bob Kraft has a GM but Kraft is the one footing the bill and I would think there is still some final say he has when discussing major contracts. As for Jerry yes would like to see him less in the public light but GM or no GM as owner and the one footing the bill he would still have a certain amount of say especially when talking a major deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again bad GM who overpaid and the team suffered. Sorry unless a QB is elite generational you don't break the bank, I agree with what you say but big mistake as is par for the coarse with a Jerry move.
The big mistake was not signing him earlier if your intent is to retain him. Waiting one year alone cost about 25 million.

We should have signed him after 2018. Probably could have made a deal in low 30’s per year.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes Brady’s deal at $25 mil is his age, not his accomplishments. He’s worth more than that, but he’s not going to get more than that because of his age and the risk of Father Time’s door knock that will inevitably come. Brady by performance SHOULD be the highest paid player. But again, that’s not how NFL markets work. I’m not advocating for this system. I’m just saying that IS the system.

The system works when you are smart about who you choose to pay, and good judgement is not evenly distributed around the league. The Cowboys did not have to continue down this dead end road with Dak just b/c he was due a new contract.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The system works when you are smart about who you choose to pay, and good judgement is not evenly distributed around the league. The Cowboys did not have to continue down this dead end road with Dak just b/c he was due a new contract.
You’re not wrong on that brother. But their choices were: a) Sign a starting QB at market value. b) Start over at finding a QB with a lot of unknowns. There are arguments for both. The Cowboys chose (in their mind) the least risky choice. They could be dead wrong. Time will tell.